Running my first half marathon

Options
Im running the Lewis and Clark half marathon this Sunday in St. Charles Mo. This is my first half marathon and im really nervous/excited. Do you seasoned marathon runners out there have any good tips on how to keep motivated, overcome fatigue, avoid blisters, and any other helpful tips?

:bigsmile:

Replies

• dragonfly__
    dragonfly__ Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    congrats on working up to this and Good Luck! I am still stuck running 5k's. My coworker does half marathons and she always talks about the importance of staying well hydrated. She passed out at the finish last time from dehydration. Hydrate yourself before the race and take advantage of the water stations. She also does carb loading. The week of a race she avoids almost all carbs until the meal the night before then has a carb filled pasta dinner. ENERGY! Again good luck.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have yet to run a marathon, but good socks and Body Glide will help tremendously with blisters. Make sure you have the fuel you need and have tested it out during a training run to make sure it agrees with you. As far as motivation, just think about all the effort you've put into training, crossing the finish line and run a smart race!

Good luck!
  • Ryanboost
    Ryanboost Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I recently started training to eventually run an Ironman. I'm up to 5-7 miles a night with 7-10 mile runs on the weekend. When I started I had blisters and my shins would always hurt almost to the point that I wasn't able to run the day after.

Since then I purchased some CEP recovery socks that a friend recommended to me. I bought one pair to wear running and another to recover in.

I've been wearing them for almost a month now and not had a single blister. Shins are so much better as well. I highly recommend them and if you do some research you'll see that almost everybody else who has worn a pair will tell you the same.

They are around $50 a pair which is a tad high but in my opinion totally worth it.

Good luck with your 1/2 marathon.