Errr- I don't weigh as much as I thought?

Options
So, I normally only weigh myself at home on some scale I have had forever but this morning I decided to weigh myself on the scale at the gym.

Now, keep in mind this was AFTER breakfast, coffee and 25oz of water. My weight on my scale this morning was 138 before breakfast, but on the scale at the gym was 131 afterwards.

My question is- which number would you go by? Obviously, 7 pounds is going to make a HUGE difference on my daily calorie allowance and entirely change my macros but I have no idea which scale I should rely on.

Replies

• kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    find a 3rd scale somewhere and check there!
  • eatspopcorn
    eatspopcorn Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Do you know if the scale at the gym is actually calibrated correctly? Honestly I wouldn't rely on the gym scale unless that is the one you use weekly at the same time. Especially with how often it would get used.

I would go by whatever you use regularly in the same setting around the same time of day. If you think your scale at home might not be accurate grab a bag of flour (or something you know the exact weight of) and test it.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Go with your home scale. That is what you usually weigh yourself on.

7lbs isn't going to make a huge difference on your daily calorie allowance. On the Calorie Calculators you are talking 20 to 30 calories.
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Dozens of people use the scale at the gym, it's bound to need more calibration then your scale at home. I would go by the one you use the most often!
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    I would use my scale at home, same day each week, same time eack week, same place on the floor.
  • julies90
    julies90 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    The scale at my gym says that I weight about 10 pounds less than I actually do, according to a big ol' Drs. scale.
  • mister_mama
    Options
    I would stick with your home scale. If its been working for you all this time, no reason to not trust it now. Also, isn't inaccuracy in dieting infuriating?! Did I measure that food exactly? Is my scale correct? Did I drink 7 or 8 glasses of water?
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have a fitness assessment with a PT tomorrow morning and I think they will weigh me then using that fancy shmancy scale with the body fat calculator- would that be a better way to gauge my true weight or still stick with my scale at home?

It was a confidence boost, but I don't want to get too ahead of myself here, haha.
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    If your plan has been working, stick with it. Don't change a running system. And don't worry about the gym scale. All scales vary unless they are calibrated regularly. Stick with one.
  • sarainiowa
    sarainiowa Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Always use the same scale each time.

Scales vary greatly so find the one you like and use that one....only that one.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The scale at my gym says that I weight about 10 pounds less than I actually do, according to a big ol' Drs. scale.

The doctor's scales are the worse. I think they make us all heavier :grumble:
  • zaellany
    zaellany Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    All scales vary unless they are calibrated regularly. Stick with one.

It's crazy, how much they can vary. I had to go to the doctor twice in two weeks when I was having an issue, and my weight was 9 lbs different between the two visits - and not because I'd been losing. I asked the nurse what was up, and she said - oh, yeah. They came in and recalibrated the scale last week. We hadn't had the scale recalibrated in TWO YEARS. Whaaaaat? Come on, now! 9 lbs is a big difference!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    The only thing that matters is consistent use of the same scale. I would personally use my home scale as there aren't a **** load of other people using the scale and throwing its calibration out of whack.
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    My ex uncle in law owned his own scale business. I did learn a couple things about scales from him. For one ALL scales need to be calibrated professionally at least 2x a year for accuracy. Also the sticker showing the latest calibration needs to be on the scale with date/time/ initials of tech who did calibration. Most places especially doctors offices and hospitals don't have them calibrated on a regular basis. The most reliable scales are the meat packaging plants. The are religious since they will lose money and are required by law to have them calibrated at all times.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    because people like to weight themselves after a workout (not really sure why) some gyms want to make you feel good so it is possible they have it lowered!

or it just may be not calibrated correctly.

or your home scale may be off.

Go with the scale you always use and go from there. Even if it is not accurate you can still base your gains/losses on it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I always weigh less after a workout because I sweat so much, lol. My home scale is on track with the gym and the doctor though (I know I'm always 3 lbs heavier because of clothes and food there pretty much).
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I will go by my scale but am looking into a new one :)
  • KarissaA
    KarissaA Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    When you get your new one, make sure you weight yourself on the old one and then the new one to see if there's a difference between the two.
  • CMoeDee
    CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My ex uncle in law owned his own scale business. I did learn a couple things about scales from him. For one ALL scales need to be calibrated professionally at least 2x a year for accuracy. Also the sticker showing the latest calibration needs to be on the scale with date/time/ initials of tech who did calibration. Most places especially doctors offices and hospitals don't have them calibrated on a regular basis. The most reliable scales are the meat packaging plants. The are religious since they will lose money and are required by law to have them calibrated at all times.
    ...today I learned. :drinker:
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I would use my scale at home, same day each week, same time eack week, same place on the floor.

This is what I do and if I see one at a house Im visiting I try that out too. I have a pretty good idea of what my clothes weigh and usually the new scale is close to mine.