What's the difference? Rice

Options
My hubby is a BIG fan of White Rice. I read that it is healther to eat brown or Wild Rice. I'm going to buy containers for my food so I don't have any open bags in the cabinet. Can I Mix the Wild & Brown rice in 1 Container or should I have 2 Separate Containers? Are the textures/flavors different with these two types?

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    They can be different. I would suggest looking at the cooking times, etc on the packaging before combining. The taste and texture is usually different... brown rice has a nuttier taste. Also, cooking times can be drastically different between brands. Uncle Ben's Brown rice takes 20 minutes to cook, while Riceland is much more raw and takes 40 minutes.
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanx alot Kminor. With the info you just gave me I will definitely by 2 containers for the rice then. You're awesome!!
  • literaryshots
    literaryshots Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    The flavor and texture is different. You might want to start by making some of each and mixing if you think your family may balk. My daughter actually preferred the brown. Remember, you can freeze leftover rice, so make a bunch and portion some out into containers to reheat later.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    go to http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/ and you can look up each one and check for your self, but yea, brown suppose to be better.

Also, brown has a different texture and taste. I tried it my self and went back to my white. Brown is ok in a filler with lots of other things to mask it. but to each his own.
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have the best brown rice that is frozen- you pop it in the microwave for 2.5 mins and viola! perfect rice. It doesnt' have such a strong taste as other flavors of brown rice I have tried. I'm addicted & have moved away from white rice.
  • Serenifly
    Serenifly Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I just replaced my white rice with CousCous ... Even my husband loved it! and it's soooo much easier and faster to make!

Still trying to grasp the benefits of this switch, but all my healthy recipes that normally use rice use Couscous now ..
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanx everybody. The problem with the white rice is that he eats way TOO much in 1 sitting. I would say heat eats about 3 servings. What he eats he usually shares with our boys so I want them to get used to a healthier version. I do have a trader Joes & will prob go tomorrow morning so I can check out the frozen brown rice.
    How long can I Freeze rice? WHat about the refrigerator. We used the Rice cooker about every 2-3 days when My hubby was here so I don't THINK we'll need to freeze it but the knowledge doesn't hurt.
    I'm not a big Rice fan but My hubby and boys are. If my hubby doesn't like the Brown or Wild and Demands to go back to rice I'll just have to try to keep him from sharing with the boys. He usually does mix his rice with food though So Maybe it will turn out ok.
  • christina1109
    Options
    My husband was skeptical the first time I fed him brown rice, but he LOVES it now. He looks forward to me making Lentils and Rice for dinner.
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You mention brown rice and wild rice --they are differnt plants! Brown rice is a white rice without the full husk removed. It comes in long, medium, and short grain --just like white rice. Wild rice is native to the northcentral (Minnisota/Wisconsin) US and tastes very different, but is very good and usually comes either mixed with white rice or in tiny little boxes. I use it in a wonderful soup I make.

Have you tried other versions of white rice than the US standard -- long grain? I wasn't a big rice fan till we lived in Japan and I tried short grain rice. I love it and have found that in moderation I can work it in.