Need Oatmeal Suggestions

kozlow27
kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
I am not a fan of oatmeal but I'm a breastfeeding mommy and my supply has taken a huge hit since starting MFP. I'd like to start eating oatmeal in hopes of helping my milk supply.

Any suggestions on how to make Old Fashioned Oats more palatable? I know the normal things like add brown sugar but what are some outside the box recipes?

Replies

• lolosensan
    lolosensan Posts: 251
    peanut butter, real maple syrup, raisins, frozen blueberries, cinnamon, pecans, almond milk...any combo or all of those together will do!
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    peanut butter, real maple syrup, raisins, frozen blueberries, cinnamon, pecans, almond milk...any combo or all of those together will do!

All of these are great. I also like apples and nutella - it tastes like a delicious dessert.
  • Brandolin11
    Brandolin11 Posts: 492 Member
    I like to do savory stuff with it! Cook it up with onion and garlic powder and salt in the milk/water, then top with crumbled bacon, chopped green onion, shredded sharp cheddar, and sour cream (all in moderation of course). You could also do a southwestern style, too, with crumbled veggie sausage, salsa, sour cream, and cheese. Or smoked salmon and cream cheese and capers with chopped tomato and red onion.

I also make egg stratas with cooked oatmeal in them instead of bread. I pack it with roasted veggies, meat, and a little cheese. It makes a delicious, fluffy, chewy "souffle" of sorts. I'll try to dig up the recipe, I think I posted it on here somewhere.
  • ajzmann
    ajzmann Posts: 147 Member
    I made a delicious one that was slow-cooked and savory. It had chicken broth, white wine, tomatoes, shallots, tomato paste, parm cheese, and basil. I topped it with a fried egg. It was almost like a risotto.
  • Brandolin11
    I made a delicious one that was slow-cooked and savory. It had chicken broth, white wine, tomatoes, shallots, tomato paste, parm cheese, and basil. I topped it with a fried egg. It was almost like a risotto.

Kindred spirit! YUMMM.
  • Brandolin11

Wondering if there's some sort of shrimp and grits twist you could put on this, too!
  • Brandolin11
    Found my egg casserole post:

=====================================================================

Made an amazing egg casserole for my mid-morning meal this week and wanted to share. It takes a little time to put together but it makes 6-8 servings so it's worth it to this single gal! It’s a bit unusual as it’ s a savory twist on something my mom used to make, where you whip eggs into oatmeal and make a sweet breakfast “cake” out of it. I did it with ham and cheese instead and it’s amazing!! Good protein and fiber, it’s filling, and low in calories. This is one of those great "basic" recipes that you could twist up any way you like (i.e., swap out whatever meat, cheese, veggies, or spices you like). It’s like a fluffy, savory, chewy, cheesy soufflé and I’ve got 8 thick pieces of it. If I could afford the calories I would have cut bigger slices! Also, it freezes and reheats beautifully.

Ingredients:

1 Cup uncooked steel cut oats
    6 C. water
    12 large egg whites
    1/2 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    6 oz. sarah lee honey ham diced fine
    3 C. chopped mushrooms
    4 chopped scallions
    4 cups fresh spinach leaves
    1 bag frozen sliced zucchini
    1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard
    Spices of your choice (I used 2 tsp. garlic powder, a bunch of sour salt (has citrus in it), a tsp. of penzey’s chip dip blend, and about 2 Tbsp. of Wildtree brand’s powdered Alfredo sauce blend (very cheesy).

Heat oven to 400 degrees and spray a glass 9 x 13 pan w/Pam.

Cook the oats with some garlic powder and sour salt in the water (or whatever spices you like) and cool them.

Steam the zucchini, squeeze out the water, then toss it in some garlic powder

Sautée the ham/onion/mushrooms/zucchini/spinach and cool the mixture. Be sure to drain any liquid.

Whip up the egg whites in a big bowl with the spices and mustard. Whip in the oatmeal. Stir in everything else (including the cheese).

Pour everything into the pan and bake it about 15 mins. Check it and if it's still wet in the middle, bake in about 7 min increments until it's fluffy and slightly pulled away from the sides of the pan, but not hard. Let cool then cut into 6 or 8 slices.

Macros:
    6 servings = 245 cals, 26g carbs, 8g fat, 21g protein, 5g fiber
    8 servings = 184 cals, 19g carbs, 6g fat, 16g protein, 4g fiber

=====================================================================
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    I can't stand eating oatmeal the "old fashioned" way. The texture grosses me out. I love it baked though. You can google tons of recipes for baked oatmeal. I like to throw in apples, walnuts, brown sugar, vanilla...sometimes raisins. I bake it and keep it in the fridge. You can eat it cold (my 3 year olds preference) or you can warm it up in the micro with a splash of milk (my husband's preference), You can play around with the ingredients to make it fit your macro needs and sweetness level preference, but it really is tasty.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    My favorite ones are cocoa powder and sugar, and vanilla extract, one egg, and maple syrup.
  • SarahWSU36
    SarahWSU36 Posts: 19 Member
    I recently started eating "refridgerator oatmeal" from recipes that I found on Pinterest.

The one that I made last week was:

1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup milk of choice (I used almond milk)
    1 mashed banana
    1 tsp chia seeds
    1/4 cup yogurt (I used low fat Greek)

Basically just mix eveything in a sealed container and refridgerate overnight.

After the first day, I halved the recipe because half way through I was over it. :) It was really good. Like I said though, Pinterest had a ton of recipes if you aren't into bananas, I just happened to have them on hand.
  • I call this one Elvis oatmeal

one serving oatmeal 150 calories
    one tbl peanut butter 95 calories
    one medium banana 105 calories

total 350 calories

I just cook the oatmeal and place in bowl and top with sliced banana and then add the peanut butter
  • draya114
    draya114 Posts: 46 Member
    I make a cold oatmeal, which I thought I would hate because I prefer foods that are suppose to be hot be hot, for example I cannot do cold pizza! Ick. But I surprised by how much I loved cold oatmeal here is my recipe:

Peanut butter overnight oats:
    1/2 cup old fashioned oats
    3/4 cup milk ( I use an almond/coconut blend but any will do)
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    little bit of honey for sweetness
    Add all ingredients into bowl or I use a small tupperware container. Stir well, Place in fridge overnight then in the morning stir and eat plain or I like to cut up a banana on top
  • MildredBarhopper
    MildredBarhopper Posts: 99 Member
    Look up "the oatmeal artist" on google. It's a whole website devoted to oatmeal recipes, including stove top, baked and overnight oats. She has a ton of amazing and easy recipes on there.
  • epursey
    epursey Posts: 36 Member
    Banana and honey is my favorite but I also do peanut butter and a few chocolate chips or blueberries, almond slices and brown sugar.
  • moonstoneme96
    moonstoneme96 Posts: 46 Member
    Try egg white oatmeal! I just discovered it and I am loving it. I never liked oatmeal, now I eat it every morning. This is the link that I found on how to make it.

http://www.ericadhouse.com/the-magical-egg-white-oatmeal/?utm_content=buffera14c8&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Buffer
  • Try a lower sugar recipe for no bake oatmeal cookies, the kind we made when we were Girl Scouts. Since the oats aren't cooked, it's an easy way to eat quite a few of them in just a few bites.
  • asianrunner
    asianrunner Posts: 42 Member
    There are lots of different baked oatmeal recipes as well as overnight oats. I'm not a fan of overnight oats, something about the texture.

I like to chop up an apple and add cinnamon. Also just like throwing in craisins!
  • kozlow27
    kozlow27 Posts: 53 Member
    Amazing suggestions! Thank you!! Definitely going to try the Egg Strata recipe with oatmeal and the baked oatmeal. And a few others, too. This morning I am eating oatmeal with 2 T of PB2 and a sliced banana. Not my favorite. I think it's a texture thing for me which is why the "non-oatmeal" recipes appeal to me.
  • MarilynTC
    MarilynTC Posts: 98 Member
    I love adding canned pumpkin to my oatmeal, in a 1:1 ratio. I also throw in a teaspoon each of brown sugar and butter or margarine, and some nutmeg and cinnamon.
  • leeannewgeorge
    leeannewgeorge Posts: 92 Member
    :smile: