Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Water retention help/advice?

Water retention is infamous in my family, and both of my parents bloat up in places if they've ate too much salt, not countering it with extra water. For me, my thighs blow up like carnival balloons, and my abdomen could rival a three-months pregnant belly! It's very sore and uncomfortable, and just feels so gross! Generally it starts to go away after a few days, but it could take a lot longer for the scale to tell the difference.

I used to be just TERRIBLE with not drinking enough water- until I turned seventeen I had only been drinking one or two glasses a day, then switched to four or five. That's what I'm at pretty much now at nineteen, but my water retention is still awful. I have a hard time drinking more than what I do now, I just end up feeling all sloshy and nauseated but people keep saying it's the best way to help. In general I've cut my salt intake at home, but sometimes fast food is tempting and we all know how shaker-crazy some restaurants get with the salt.

If anyone has advice on how to drink more water without feeling like a water balloon, or on how to deal with water retention in general that'd be just fantastic! :heart:

Replies

• AlanisT
    AlanisT Posts: 46 Member
    Try to flavor the water. Like sliced fruit or crystal light. If you make it taste better you may drink more. Also a pharmacy will have water retention pills if you really can't drink more maybe those will help?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    ALWAYS have a water bottle in your hand. You'll find yourself drinking a lot more water just because it's there and if you drink it all day you don't feel full of water but you get plenty of water into your system.
  • Mistyvs
    Mistyvs Posts: 56 Member
    I agree with above poster about always having it with you. I also use a straw. I make little games with myself, like how far can I make the water go down before I have to take a breath, and silly stuff like that, buy hey, it gets the water down, I drink about 100 ounces a day!
  • April1290
    April1290 Posts: 31
    I agree with keeping a bottle with you 24/7----try to sip it as much as you can instead of big gulps as well. It really helps.