"My body is my temple", but to what?

Options
Self-explanatory. I feel the expression "your body is your temple" is incomplete. I've heard it a thousand times, and it always leaves me with an unanswered afterthought: To what, exactly, is your body a temple? My body used to be a temple to gluttony and self-hatred, and I'm working on changing that, renovating it, as it were. Now, the renovations are underway to renovate it into a temple to the power of the human mind and pushing the limits of the human body. To that end, I have now finished week 6 of 5k run training. My body will be a temple to athleticism one day, hopefully.

So, what about you? What motivates you to keep going? What do you want to become?

Replies

• Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm a lasped Catholic, in my view there are interesting parallels between my body and religious buildings already (the shame and wine, for example).

I just want to be physically and mentally strong. But more specifically, I want to swim across lakes and fit into a spangly boob tube.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    That can have a number of different connotations.

I actually has roots in the bible, with the body being a temple for the Holy Spirit.
  • FreeSpirit1992
    Options
    That can have a number of different connotations.

I actually has roots in the bible, with the body being a temple for the Holy Spirit.

I know that. I actually have a diploma in Christian studies (sadly. That was a waste of a year). I'm not a Christian anymore, but I still like the connotations of the spiritual angle.