Gardening

Options
2»

Replies

• ilenewilliams
    ilenewilliams Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am trying a garden for the first time in years. Tomatoes, Kale, Onions, Oregano, Parsley, Basil, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Lemon Cucumbers, Arugula, Watermelon, radishes, broccoli, and then for fun my 12 year old son planted pumpkin.
  • darkrose20
    darkrose20 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    So far I have one Bok Choi that is still clinging to live and an Avocado tree. Problem is, I moved to a second story unit. Not sure how much longer the tree can stay short enough to live on my balcony. Also, I need to plant some Basil. Also, you guys gave me a good idea about planting a potato in a pot.

I *do* have a carrot that sat in the fridge too long and has sprouted. Anyone know if I can put it in some dirt and get a new carrot in a while to eat?
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Ooh thats a great guide you got there!

Ive just moved into a new place so still gotta get my garden in order!
    But Ive got my tomatoes, spinach and a bit of herbage going.

My strawberry plant survived the move yay!
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I would love to garden, but I live in apartment building and don't have even balcony to use :sad:
    Last couple summers I was allowed to use my grandmothers garden, but she's moving next month so not this summer :indifferent:
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    So far I have one Bok Choi that is still clinging to live and an Avocado tree. Problem is, I moved to a second story unit. Not sure how much longer the tree can stay short enough to live on my balcony. Also, I need to plant some Basil. Also, you guys gave me a good idea about planting a potato in a pot.

I *do* have a carrot that sat in the fridge too long and has sprouted. Anyone know if I can put it in some dirt and get a new carrot in a while to eat?

You eat the root of a carrot the first year. The second year, which would be what point your refrigerator carrot is at, they use that stored energy in the root to flower and seed. Planting it now will give you a Queen Anne's lace like flower.
    You can pick up a pack of carrot seeds cheaply and I have been seeing set ups on pinterest where people are growing them in old two liter bottles. Maybe something like that will work for you. And you can always prune your tree to keep it small. It will get bushy instead.
    edit to fix autocorrect
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    My vege beds are empty at the moment because Im just waiting for rain to start planting for winter, as the water tank is now empty. We also have apricots, lime, lemon, orange, apple, pear, olives, plums, hazlenuts, macadamia, nectarine, blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. Sounds great but by the time the kangeroos and possums have been through there is hardly any fruit left for the parrots and fruit fly to finish off.
    I can honestly say that i have never seen a kangaroo in my garden! Good luck this year!