Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Listening to your body

2»

Replies

• HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    A great piece of advice I read is this...

If you feel hungry, consider if an apple or celery or something else "healthy" would satisfy it. If so, it's hunger. If nothing will do but chocolate/ice cream/candy/chips/etc then you're bored/eating your emotions/etc and need to figure out what's bothering you and deal with that instead of eating.

It's been helping me.

Love this advice! So true- for what it's worth I had a horrible horrible chocolate protein bar and told myself if I was hungry between meals I had to eat the bar first. The number of cookies/ chips/ cakes I didn't have just to avoid having that disgusting thing was insane!

Hahahahaha - love that. I've been trying the Quest ones, which I've seen people go nuts over, and I'm going to try your method!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    My body likes to whisper "cheeseburgers" late at night.
    Listening to my body is probably the worst thing I could ever do in regards to my eating.

please dont freak out.....

but that's me. you never lock that window.

oh and i went ahead and folded the stuff in the hamper. smelled clean.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    A great piece of advice I read is this...

If you feel hungry, consider if an apple or celery or something else "healthy" would satisfy it. If so, it's hunger. If nothing will do but chocolate/ice cream/candy/chips/etc then you're bored/eating your emotions/etc and need to figure out what's bothering you and deal with that instead of eating.

It's been helping me.

I love this!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    As you know, I vehemently disagree with "listening to your body". That's the reason we are here, we listened. Now, let your brain think. Get your emotions out of the way and use cognition. Calories in/calories out. It's not hard. In fact, of all the different ways to lose, maintain, or gain, I find counting calories the most efficient, because it works.

Not always. I figure a lot of us (me first) are here because we love eating, hungry or not.

But listening to your body is pointless. I can eat 1000 calories of croissants and I'll be hungry two hours later. It doesn't mean anything. Hunger and fullness are not associated in any way with how many calories you are eating.

I learned to listen to mine...but I would also not ever eat 1000 calories of croissants...I might have a croissant breakfast sandwich that came to 1,000 calories but it would undoubtedly include plenty of protein as well as dietary fat to keep me satiated for quite some time.

A lot of people need to learn or re-learn these things...part of calorie counting for me was to learn these things so that I wouldn't have to count calories forever and ever. I've been maintaining for what will be 12 months in May and have not had to log save for a spot check here and there...I was able to do this by putting into practice the things I learned while logging, which would include listening to my body and understanding true hunger signals, low energy signals, as well as understanding that...frankly, 1,000 calories of croissants is going to do me not much good at all from a nutritional standpoint or a satiety standpoint.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    This has always been me, exactly.
    A few people have commented that listening to their bodies is what made them fat in the first place, but I personally got fat by never listening to mine.

Thank you!

I did not get obese "listening to my body". I enjoyed eating so much that I'd eat REGARDLESS of what my body was telling me. I'd eat when not hungry, and eat well beyond the point of true satiation.

I think a lot of people seriously confuse true hunger with "I wanted it". One is your body's cry for nourishment, the other your mind's cry for entertainment. There is a difference.