Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Do I need more protein.

Alright so I just started (I've been here a while but never used it) and I just looked at my last 2 days of food and I only have about 50-80 protein and it says I need about 180 daily. I am trying to build muscle but nothing huge, and my goal is to just lose weight. Should I start eating foods with a lot more protein or am I fine for what I'm doing.

If I do need more any suggestions as to what I should eat that has a fair bit of protein? Besides tons and tons of chicken. I eat chicken enough :P

Replies

• Scylermcf
    Scylermcf Posts: 25 Member
    Anyone? o:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    I would suggest increasing your protein to 1 gram per lbs of lbm. 180 sounds pretty high but I don't know your stats. 50 to 80 on the other hand seems quite low.

Fish, eggs, Greek yogurt, lentils and of course chicken are good sources. I also use a protein powder most days, helps turn my fatty, sugarific morning coffee into something that fits my goals better.

Just fyi fatty and sugary are fine if you can hit your macros with it. I can't everyday so some days it's the protein powder.
  • Scylermcf
    I have no clue what my LBM is so :P

Im 6'4 300+ pounds sedentary besides the gym.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member

LBM = Lean Body Mass = Body Weight - Body Fat
  • Scylermcf

LBM = Lean Body Mass = Body Weight - Body Fat

I know. I don't know what my LBM is, thats what I said in the post :P
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Alright so I just started (I've been here a while but never used it) and I just looked at my last 2 days of food and I only have about 50-80 protein and it says I need about 180 daily. I am trying to build muscle but nothing huge, and my goal is to just lose weight. Should I start eating foods with a lot more protein or am I fine for what I'm doing.

If I do need more any suggestions as to what I should eat that has a fair bit of protein? Besides tons and tons of chicken. I eat chicken enough :P

If you're on a calorie deficit, you are not going to build muscle. What you can do is slow down the process of losing muscle during your loss by eating enough protein.

I'm 220+ but am around 13.5% body fat right now, I eat at least 190g a day. Usually more as I do a lot of cardio/lifting. I'm also an athlete.

Foods the will give you the most protein per calorie have been listed by Llama.
  • aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    There are numerous online calculators available. While they aren't super accurate, they're a simple starting point. There are three different ones on fat2fitradio.com and I'm sure hundreds of other sites.
    Calculate body fat percentage then multiply by your weight. This is the total pounds of fat you carry. Subtract that from your weight and it will give you your LBM.
    Many seem to recommend .8to 1 gram protein per pound of LBM.
    Hope this helps.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    yes.

eggs
    meat
    beef
    chicken
    meat
    peanut butter
    meat
    lamb
    meat
    bologna
    turkey
    meat
    tri tip
    sirloin
    meat
    beef
    pepperoni
    meat
    hummus
    meat
    soy
    meat
    tofu
    meat
    meat
    meat
    meat
    meat
  • April1290
    April1290 Posts: 31
    You're actually supposed to have half your bodyweight in protein each day. 60-80g of protein minimum.
  • April1290
    April1290 Posts: 31
    I know that, I was just saying that was the minimum for any adult. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Scylermcf
    Well I guess I read it wrong, or maybe I read the wrong thing.. It says I need 108 protein which should be fairly easy now that I know how much I need. Anyway thanks :3
  • tgsoe
    tgsoe Posts: 17 Member
    yes.

eggs
    meat
    beef
    chicken
    meat
    peanut butter
    meat
    lamb
    meat
    bologna
    turkey
    meat
    tri tip
    sirloin
    meat
    beef
    pepperoni
    meat
    hummus
    meat
    soy
    meat
    tofu
    meat
    meat
    meat
    meat
    meat
    Pffff. You forgot meat. How could you forget meat.

And meat.
  • Meushichan
    Meushichan Posts: 82 Member
    I know that, I was just saying that was the minimum for any adult. Sorry for any confusion.
    Those RDA numbers a not taking into consideration the nitrogen balance required by individuals frequently participating in strength training or endurance training which require a higher protein consumption than that.

I think she meant minimum for an avg adult in maintenance, i.e. most people. i.e. not you or someone trying to pack on muscle.

108 sounds like a pretty reasonable number. Beware though, if you are trying to lose weight, and gain muscle, you will probably lose FAT, but the number on the scale may not change much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    MFP sets protein really low... if you are trying to lose fat while maintaining your muscle mass, i would aim for 25-30% of your calories coming from protein.