Deli Meat Bad For You?

Options
2»

Replies

• buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    too much sodium for me. If I want sandwiches I bake some chicken tenders and use those.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Do you feel comfortable eating all the peservatives? All the sodium? Some people do. The FDA says they're fine to eat. I'd personally rather avoid them.

lol wat. So you will avoid them because of your own personal conspiracy theories..seems legit
    That was one of the most hilariously ignorant responses i've ever read!!!
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Processed meats are bad, especially deli meats.

That was one of the most hilariously ignorant responses i've ever read!!!

Please feel free to explain to us why it's "bad" and while you're at it you might as well explain how you came to that assumption.

We're all waiting...

actually nvm don't bother

"I eat a high carbohydrate, low fat, whole foods, plant based diet.

I LOVE riding my bicycle, and i'm getting into running.

My only competitor is yesterday's me. I aim to be better every day.

I believe humans are frugivores, and have a symbiotic relationship with fruit trees: they give us food, we spread their seed worldwide. Both parties get what they want, no one gets hurt. We are naturally drawn to bright colors. Kids climb trees instinctively. We put pictures of fruit on our walls. Our closest relatives in the animal kingdom eat a lot of fruit. We have a sweet tooth for a reason!

I believe fruit is the human being's most preferred food."

loool
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I eat sandwiches with deli meat pretty much daily. As far as I (and my doctor) can tell I'm still in excellent health.

Quoting so it doesn't get lost.

No need, I think this is destined to become one of those 'ERMAHGAWD SODIUMS' things. To which I say "Good. More turkey for me."

Save some turkey for me, please. I really like the sun-dried tomato and cracked pepper.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Can we talk about hot dogs ?
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The chemicals added to these meats are carcinogens. They cause cancer.
    And as a bonus, they have tons of salt. :)
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    4 - 5 days a week I usually eat oscar mayer turkey deli meat at lunch. Recently, I was reading an article about foods people assume are good for kids that really aren't and deli meat was on there. There is such an abundance of information on the net about nutrition, I'm not really sure what to believe.

Opinions? Facts?

Most meats you buy in the deli have a lot of sodium, which is the reason they're included on that list you read. You don't need to worry about sodium unless you're one of the "salt sensitive" people, in which case it can raise your blood pressure. You can always just buy the low sodium types too.
    This.

Only "bad" if you have been told by the doc to keep your sodium intake down. And as previous poster states, you can get lower-sodium deli meat if that's an issue.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Absolutely nothing wrong with deli meat.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I am but a poor medic. I eat lunch meat out of financial necessity, plus I like it!!! I can get the "Double Deal" from the Walmart Deli (1 pound of lunch meat (the good stuff) and 1/2 pound of cheese) for $9. I usually get the turkey breast or chicken breast...once in while I'll "splurge" on pepperoni, which I know isn't the BEST choice, but a pepperoni sandwich satisfies the need for a large pizza, which in the past I could have eaten all by myself. 3 ounces of meat and a slice of cheese on a Flatout Foldit bread makes a wonderful sandwich for packing in the cooler for lunch on the box. (=long ambulance shifts.) I get my protein, fat and carbs in a handy package. lol I drink more than enough water to counter the higher sodium.
  • Chris_Pierce
    Chris_Pierce Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and you CAN buy good real pre cooked turkey breast or chicken breast or ham and have the deli slice it for you. Thus solving the problem of convenience vs health.

Or just use a good sharp knife and cut it up yourself. :)
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    oh yeah and you CAN buy good real pre cooked turkey breast or chicken breast or ham and have the deli slice it for you. Thus solving the problem of convenience vs health.

Or just use a good sharp knife and cut it up yourself. :)

But what about the hormones that they put in the meat? Shouldn't you be afraid of that too? Might as well just raise your own and slaughter it yourself.

Seriously though there is nothing wrong with deli meat. You can ask for minimally processed meats which I'm sure most grocery stores sell. When I get my turkey breast from my deli it's minimally processed and is just like turkey cut off the bird. The ham I get is just like what you would get if you cut pieces off of a baked ham.
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    :noway:
    It's litterally the same stuff but one is pre sliced and packaged. LOL @ "real"
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    But what about the hormones that they put in the meat? Shouldn't you be afraid of that too? Might as well just raise your own and slaughter it yourself.
    You could hunt, and that would reduce your risk of hormones.

Just don't say i didn't warn you....
    cowtits.jpg