question about toning

Options
Hey everyone! I just joined today, looks like a great site.

Ok, about 5 years ago I lost 90 lbs (atkins and walking, walking, walking). I have kept it off, with the exception of a few lbs I gained when I had my daughter. I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on toning up, belly area, thighs and arms.
I work out 6 days a week, I even worked out with a trainer (before the pregnancy) for 8 weeks and still did not get the results I wanted. I am still maintaining my diet for the most part, I try to stay away from all sugar and simple carbohydrates. Yet, I still have a little bit of a "wing" on the arms. I really, really, really want to get rid of that. I've never been a runner, but was told that running instead of brisk walking would take care of that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:bigsmile:

Replies

• jamie77
    jamie77 Posts: 101
    Options
    Hey everyone! I just joined today, looks like a great site.

Ok, about 5 years ago I lost 90 lbs (atkins and walking, walking, walking). I have kept it off, with the exception of a few lbs I gained when I had my daughter. I'm hoping someone can give me some tips on toning up, belly area, thighs and arms.
    I work out 6 days a week, I even worked out with a trainer (before the pregnancy) for 8 weeks and still did not get the results I wanted. I am still maintaining my diet for the most part, I try to stay away from all sugar and simple carbohydrates. Yet, I still have a little bit of a "wing" on the arms. I really, really, really want to get rid of that. I've never been a runner, but was told that running instead of brisk walking would take care of that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!:bigsmile:
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If you have loose skin, not much else other than surgery will take care of it completely. Add a lot of tricep/bicep work for your arms. Very few people who lose large quantities of weight don't end up with loose skin. Otherwise, enjoy your weight loss and keep toning.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Bellydance is a very effective toning exercise...its cardio and toning all wrapped into one and it is so much fun! Some of the older women who have been dancing for many years claim that it keeps the skin tight as well.

I know from experience that my entire body has become more toned and the lower ab baby skin stretch has tightened up more since I started dancing than it did with a lifetime of abdominal crunches, etc.

I still have a little layer of fat on everything because no matter how much I exercise I can't loose weight unless my diet is in order...I'm getting there with the help of this website and the most valuable food diary...I've lost 30 lbs since my profile photo was taken.
  • jamie77
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I've neve thought about belly dancing. Are there work out videos or instructional videos available?

Have a fabulous day!
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Options
    It's good to change your routine every few weeks.
    Www.shape.com has good workouts (ex. bikini body challenge - http://www.shape.com/workouts/bikini_body/). I also find out that exercising at gym machines won't give you as much as those kind of training (they force you to keep balance, you use many muscles group at once etc.)

You can try light jogging instead of brisk walking because it burns more calories. I used to hate running. Now I know it was because I wasn't fit enough but after riding a bike and training on elliptical for a while running seems much easier. It's nice actually :wink:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • jamie77
    Options
    Thanks for the website address. My trainer never had me do these types of workouts...I can't wait to try it.
  • MaryKatU
    MaryKatU Posts: 146
    Options
    Pilates is great for the core.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply! I've neve thought about belly dancing. Are there work out videos or instructional videos available?

Have a fabulous day!

There are so many out there, both instructional and workout...here is one dance organization website that my favorite dancer, Neon, belongs to:
    www.worlddancenewyork.com

Her personal website as well: www.neonissima.com

Her instructor is Jenna...Jenna's personal website: www.beyondbellydance.com

If you haven't tried bellydance previously, you want to start with a basic or beginning DVD...and from there the possibilities are endless.

You have a wonderful day as well!