what now?

Options
Most of my life I've been overweight. I'm 20 years old and currently 420 pounds; and that isn't very far from where I was in high school. I never really learned how to exercise, or anything about the different types. there's no chance of me going to a gym (not while I'm this big at least) because my self-esteem has been shot before I could have one. I have been making changes to my eating habits, like not ordering pizza 3 times a week, and my biggest success is cutting out soda! I had a really bad soda addiction, talking like 6-8 cans a day for many many years. Tomorrow marks 2 weeks without the carbonated nectar, and while I still get caffeine headaches pretty bad, I feel great! Switching to nothing but water has also really helped with my "hunger" (which was really thirst, who knew!) but now i think it's time to incorporate SOME kind of exercise.

So I guess my reason for posting is... a couple of things. First, I'm looking for some support, as I don't have many friends where I am and family is constantly telling me I won't do it. Second... is some kind of guidance. To maybe a website, or a youtube video, or personal experience about exercising at 400+ pounds successfully. I can't afford a trainer and after reading so much online everything gets kinda fuzzy after a while.

I really do appreciate any help and responses that I might get.. xx

Replies

• StroNgasgLass
    Options
    I would suggest walking. Leslie sansone has walking videos. You can get them free via you tube. They come in different mileage 1 to 5 and she shows you how to kodify if you need to. Just do as much as you can but keep trying. I do them in my living roomand im superpsyched I xan complete 4 whole miles without feeling like I need to quit!
  • ilovecakes
    ilovecakes Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hiya!

Well done on talking the first steps.
    It must have been so difficult to quit drinking soda! Well done you should be really proud of yourself. The difference it will make to you.
    If you want some ideas about controlling your calories, a really good idea would be to do a food prep. Its something I just started and its great so far. I follow a guru on youtube called "Bakingmadgymaddict" she basically buys all her food at the weekend cooks it all in one go, portions it out for the week and freezes it. So far Ive avoided my usual lunch time binge .. hopefully Ill keep it up
  • nm100610
    nm100610 Posts: 8
    Options
    I would suggest walking. Leslie sansone has walking videos. You can get them free via you tube. They come in different mileage 1 to 5 and she shows you how to kodify if you need to. Just do as much as you can but keep trying. I do them in my living roomand im superpsyched I xan complete 4 whole miles without feeling like I need to quit!

I just looked into those videos and subscribed to a channel that had a bunch! I'm going to start those in the morning! That's amazing that you can do 4 miles! I figure by half of one I'm going to be ready for a nap! Thanks so much!
    Hiya!

Well done on talking the first steps.
    It must have been so difficult to quit drinking soda! Well done you should be really proud of yourself. The difference it will make to you.
    If you want some ideas about controlling your calories, a really good idea would be to do a food prep. Its something I just started and its great so far. I follow a guru on youtube called "Bakingmadgymaddict" she basically buys all her food at the weekend cooks it all in one go, portions it out for the week and freezes it. So far Ive avoided my usual lunch time binge .. hopefully Ill keep it up

Thank you so much! I had tried to quit before -- and failed. One day I just decided that was enough; it was one thing I could change. I haven't lost weight from it yet; but I've lost inches from my waist! So that's a plus too :) and I've considered doing that! I need to find some ideas online for meals and what to buy, but it seems like a really easy idea. That's why I ordered so many pizzas -- it was something easy! I could click a few times and have food in 30 minutes. Great job on missing that binge! I find I overeat the most at nights (what I wouldn't give for the aforementioned pizza right now..) I'm sure you'll do great!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    walking walking walking! definitely your best bet... start slowly and work your way up.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Walking is great exercise! I started last April just walking a few blocks around my home. If you have a dog they are great walking buddies. I slowly worked up my distance over many months, to my highest in September when I walked a 1/2 marathon. Now I've lost enough, and feel strong enough that I go work out at the gym 3-4 days per week and walk 3-5 miles in my neighborhood the other days. Great job getting started!
  • nm100610
    Options
    walking walking walking! definitely your best bet... start slowly and work your way up.

I guess that's a problem I have too. I'm impatient! I'm the person who wants to run a 5k right now; not walk down and around the block. But I guess I have to start somewhere. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it more than you know!
  • nm100610
    Options
    Walking is great exercise! I started last April just walking a few blocks around my home. If you have a dog they are great walking buddies. I slowly worked up my distance over many months, to my highest in September when I walked a 1/2 marathon. Now I've lost enough, and feel strong enough that I go work out at the gym 3-4 days per week and walk 3-5 miles in my neighborhood the other days. Great job getting started!

That seems to be the unanimous answer! I have a trail at my university that's a mile or so long, so I think I'm going to start with a portion of it. I see that you've lost almost 80 pounds! Congratulations on such an amazing feat! I'm completely jealous and can't wait to have lost that much! Thanks so much for your kind words and your advice!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I guess that's a problem I have too. I'm impatient! I'm the person who wants to run a 5k right now; not walk down and around the block. But I guess I have to start somewhere. Thank you for your input, I appreciate it more than you know!

yeah you can work on that! as its likely to be what stops you getting anywhere! you didnt get to 420lbs overnight, it wont come off over night either!

you need to set realistic goals... given your weight you should be able to lose 100lbs by christmas... and you'll definitely be able to run a 5k by then too!!!

also, first thing you need to do... take some pictures... in a few weeks or months when you feel like giving up and throwing yourself head first into a pile of doughnuts, you can look at these pictures and see how far you've come. its hard to see the weight come off outselves sometimes, so a monthly picture is a great tracker, especially when the scales lie!!!
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Like the other responses have said, walking is great for now. You need to figure out how many calories a day you need to lose sensibly. Find a TDEE on line calculator. You will need to weight and measure your food. Also, remember your only human and will have occasional slip ups. Thats ok, just keep plugging away. Even though it may seem like it will take forever to do this, remember time will pass regardless.
  • allotmentgardener
    allotmentgardener Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Walking is definately your best bet. Congratulations on starting your healthy journey. Add me as friend if you like
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I started here at over 400 pounds too! (June of 2013) I've lost about 80 and I'm super psyched to only be 20 pounds away from losing my first 100!

I started walking too. At first it was only 5 or 10 min. Then I'd up it 1 minute at a time. THEN.. I discovered the Leslie Sansone walking workouts! Amazing! There is a 2 mile get started vid I have saved on my laptop that I used for quite a while.. then I moved it to 3 miles. Then 4! Then 5! I'm usually doing 5 miles brisk pace about 5 times a week. I'm getting ready to start to doing 6 miles! :)

You gotta start somewhere! Even if it's only 5 minutes like I did.

Feel free to send me a friend request! I love supporting people, especially if I can truly understand where they are completely from! I thought losing weight at 400+ was a pipe dream... but it CAN be done!

Nixy :):):)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    +1 for walking. If you watch the video "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" you'll see a guy towards the end who starts off in a similar position.

It's a good movie regardless.
  • nm100610
    Options

yeah you can work on that! as its likely to be what stops you getting anywhere! you didnt get to 420lbs overnight, it wont come off over night either!

you need to set realistic goals... given your weight you should be able to lose 100lbs by christmas... and you'll definitely be able to run a 5k by then too!!!

also, first thing you need to do... take some pictures... in a few weeks or months when you feel like giving up and throwing yourself head first into a pile of doughnuts, you can look at these pictures and see how far you've come. its hard to see the weight come off outselves sometimes, so a monthly picture is a great tracker, especially when the scales lie!!!

this response made me happy! while I'm not expecting to lose that much by Christmas, someone saying it's possible really makes me want to work a little bit harder. I always read people saying that losing a lot at first is bad for you and its a sign you're doing it wrong etc and it's discouraging. but my dietitian said that when I start eating right and exercising (and cutting out pop, check) it will melt off to start. I don't even want to RUN a 5k, I'll walk it and if I'm not ready to get a breathing treatment and a 2 liter of mountain dew when I'm done, I'll chalk it up as a win. I'm definitely going to start a folder on my computer and start taking monthly pictures! such a great idea!!
    Like the other responses have said, walking is great for now. You need to figure out how many calories a day you need to lose sensibly. Find a TDEE on line calculator. You will need to weight and measure your food. Also, remember your only human and will have occasional slip ups. Thats ok, just keep plugging away. Even though it may seem like it will take forever to do this, remember time will pass regardless.

What sucks for me is I have to go to my dietician to be weighed as my scale only reads up to 400 pounds but I'm hoping by the end of next month I shouldn't have to keep traveling (especially because my insurance expires in June) and that's such a nice idea that the time will pass anyway. I keep telling myself that right now I'm not working because I'm in school; so I should do something productive with all this extra time (hence why I started this journey) thanks so much for your ideas and input, it's really appreciated!
  • nm100610
    Options
    Hi!
    I started here at over 400 pounds too! (June of 2013) I've lost about 80 and I'm super psyched to only be 20 pounds away from losing my first 100!

I started walking too. At first it was only 5 or 10 min. Then I'd up it 1 minute at a time. THEN.. I discovered the Leslie Sansone walking workouts! Amazing! There is a 2 mile get started vid I have saved on my laptop that I used for quite a while.. then I moved it to 3 miles. Then 4! Then 5! I'm usually doing 5 miles brisk pace about 5 times a week. I'm getting ready to start to doing 6 miles! :)

You gotta start somewhere! Even if it's only 5 minutes like I did.

Feel free to send me a friend request! I love supporting people, especially if I can truly understand where they are completely from! I thought losing weight at 400+ was a pipe dream... but it CAN be done!

Nixy :):):)

It's so nice to finally meet someone who started off here! I constantly feel like it's going to take me 10 years to even lose 50 pounds. Another poster mentioned those videos and I found them on YouTube, I'm going to start them tomorrow! Congratulations on losing so much! That has to be an amazing feeling - I can't wait to get there. I can usually walk for 15-20 minutes at a slow pace, so I'm anxious to see if I can keep NEAR pace with the Leslie videos! Thanks so much for the advice!
    +1 for walking. If you watch the video "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead" you'll see a guy towards the end who starts off in a similar position.

It's a good movie regardless

I'm definitely going to look into finding and watching it! Thanks!
    Walking is definately your best bet. Congratulations on starting your healthy journey. Add me as friend if you like

Definitely starting to see that! Thank you so much, it means a lot!
  • itzmenickv23
    itzmenickv23 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Bro you can do it !!! I believe you can 101%. I'm 30 years old 5 feet 4 inches, I've been fat half of my life. For my height, I used to weigh close to 250+. First and foremost, you gotta get past all the excuses. This is the most difficult part of the weight loss journey. I'm pretty sure we all went through this phase. I had a ton of excuses before why I couldnt exercise. I blamed the weather (back in when I was in Seattle), blamed my asthma as to why i can't do long walks, blamed my sugar coz I was diabetic and a whole lot. But like me, I believe you can get past this phase quicker, you just need a firm resolve, and we are all here to support you.

Next, learn to manage your calorie intake per day. You can pretty much eat anything but learn to limit and count. Try to stay close to your calorie limit per day. Fact: You can actually lose 100 lbs easy, without exercise as long as you maintain a calorie deficit.

Then like everyone said, start walking, when you feel that you are ready. Dont overdo it. That's what makes you quit and relapse.

Then once you start seeing results you'll get more motivated and get more confident, that's when you learn to plan, set short term and long term goals, prepare meals ahead of time, measure and weigh the food you eat, learn to make healthier choice with regards to the food you eat, implement strength traning etc.

But like others said, take it one day at a time and be patient.

You can add me up bro, I'm not a pro but I'm always willing to help.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Hi!!
    congrats on taking your first step to a healthier life!!
    I agree with the other posters that say walking. Start there and then after your comfortable, you can add in stuff :-)
  • angiewf
    angiewf Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well done on a great start! Walking is definitely the way to go, apart from anything else it's free, you don't need any equipment except a good pair of walking shoes, and nobody need know you're exercising, everybody walks. Good luck with your weight loss journey.
  • rideontechnology
    rideontechnology Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Simply being here and posting for one is a great first step. But then there's quitting soda. Major kudos. I actually just made that decision for myself as well! We'll see how it goes, but you've inspired me. Keep up the energy and the fire you're feeling now because you seem incredibly motivated. Like there's a fire under you! I felt that way a few days ago too for the first time in a long time, and it's still there days later. We can do it! I'll add you as a friend?
  • jolancy
    jolancy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking steps to a healthier version of you, quitting soda must have been a tough one! Another advocate for walking here too, anything that gets you moving more is great - it's exactly how I started, and I also found it was a bit of 'me' time away from the craziness of day to day life. Best of luck on your journey, you certainly sound motivated and I'm sure you'll get to where you want to be.
  • nm100610
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I appreciate it so much. I'm going to add daily walking to my list of things to do now :~)