Help with fitness routine

Options
Hey,

It's been a while since I was on here.

I've a question/query/need help with my fitness routine:

I'm busy (aren't we all I hear ye say?!). Work mon-fri, up at 5.50am, home at 4.30pm with the 2 kids from creche/school. Have a husband who I obviously need to spend SOME quality time with. Husband is home from work at 6.30pm, kids in bed at 7.30pm at the latest, I then go to the gym.

Mon & Wednesday are my days to go to the gym/exercise. Tue and Thurs are his. I try and get a run or 2 in later in the week/at weekends.

I was reading NROLFW and I'd love to be able to do it but I can't as there just isn't enough days in the week/hrs in the day!

I started back lifting on monday as I ditched it for more cardio. Been doing this for about 6 months now but I miss weights plus I feel as a woman, it's important to do some weights.

I have a small set of free weights at home so I started doing some after my run last weekend.

At the minute, in the gym I do:

15min warm up (be it on the cross trainer, bike)
Run for 30-40 mins depending on how tired I am. The other day I increased my speed and cut the time down in order to still burn the same amount of cals.
Normally do rower then for 3000metres but the other day I ditched that too.
Stretches/abs work for 15mins
Then I did some weights (machine and free).

This all added up to 1hr40mins of pure exercise/weights on the gym floor. I then have to factor in shower etc.

I'd love to be able to not spend so long in the gym. BUt I only get to the gym twice a week, maybe 3 times if I'm lucky. I still have to maintain my marriage, spend time with the kids, live.......LOL.

Anyone in the same situation and have any godd suggestions on my fitness routine, if it's tweakable.....etc etc.

Thanks for reading!

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Cut the rower and 15 mins of stretching and abs. Consider doing SL instead of NROL as it's shorter, especially if you only do 3x5
  • wedjul05
    wedjul05 Posts: 472
    Options
    Sorry for being ignorant, but what's SL?!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    But after running, I really need to do my stretches. I'd be crippled otherwise.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    SL is stronglifts. You only do 3 exercises per session.

Lift before you run. Then stretch after that. Running first will sap your energy and concentration from lifting, stretching will further weaken your muscles and open up additional injury opportunity. Lift >run>stretch
  • wedjul05
    Options
    Ok, good advise.

Judging by your profile pic, you know what you are talking about!!

Must look up stronglifts to see what I can do. No idea about it at this stage. Love love love lifting. I am one sore bunny the past few days as I took up the oul weights again on Monday...no pain, no gain.

thanks for the reply.
  • wedjul05
    Options
    Ok, I'm slightly scared after googling stronglifts!!!!!!!

The gym I go to has an upstairs where most of the weights are. There can be oh 50 guys up there and maybe 1 or 2 female's! I need to know what I am doing before I touch anything, for obvious reasons.

I can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    SL is an excellent routine. I have never felt better in my life.

Hope this link helps.......
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1169757-i-am-the-woman-in-the-freeweights-section-of-the-gym
  • wedjul05
    Options
    thanks for the link ssaraj. Brilliant post from the OP.

I totally agree that women only weight area's just do more to alienate women from lifting weights. Lifting weights should not be seen as a male only thing.

Might give my PT a call to run me through how to lift correctly or one of the PT in the gym.

thanks.