Carbs

Options
Hi,

Is it just me or is anyone else finding it difficult to find food that doesn't have a huge amount of carbs?

I am allowed 1200 calories per day and although am always under my calorie target,I am always over my carb allowance.

I didn't notice until today when reading back through my diary that (homemade) slimming world chips have been tracking at carbs!

I have them approx. 4 evenings a week, so I have clearly been over my carb allowance rather a lot :(

Help! Please :)

Thanks,

Jo

Replies

• amylg05
    amylg05 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well I know how yummy these chips but I wouldnt advise eating them 4 times a week o_o thats potato 4 times a week and theyre really carb heavy and high GI. You could try sweet potato instead? I cut them in to wedges and put a little pepper and chilli flakes over them - theyre much lower in cals and personally I think tastier. Or you could try brown rice or even things like cauliflower mash as an alternative low carb side ^-^
  • JoT2013
    JoT2013 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm 42,174cm, have just under 3 and a half stones to lose and am allowed 150 carbs per day.

I'm not active...desk job and couch potato according to the stats (true I admit!) and arthritis etc etc etc, limits exercise.

The daily allowance allows for 1.6lbs loss per week..so not a huge loss.
  • JoT2013
    Options
    Thanks Amylg05. I do eat brown rice but unfortunately my tastebuds have a definite aversion to most vegetables...especially green ones!lol

I am going to try the sweet potato wedges tho...thanks again :)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Yeah, lazy American here too early for math

Carbs = not bad

1200 calories = not enough
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Carbs = not bad

1 stone = 14lb so that is about 50lbs
    1cm = appx 2.5 inches so 174cm is about 5 ft 8 or 9

1.6lbs a week is to fast try for 1lb a week...

1200 calories is not enough and it's not about the types of food you eat it's about the quantity.

Eat at a reasonable deficet...

ETA: Canadian and it's mid morning so my brain is functioning.
  • JoT2013
    Options
    To be truthful, I'm not struggling on the calorie allowance, just the carbs allowance.

I love cooking and eating, so don't mind putting the extra effort in.

I thought 1.6 lbs was a healthy amount to lose a week? It doesn't seem a lot when I calculate how long it's going to take to get back to my old weight! :(

Marathon not a sprint...must remember that more often!
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about carbs, some days I'm over but as long as I have a calorie defecit I lose weight.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options

Carbs = not bad

^^ This.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason, such as a medical condition, that you have to limit carbs?
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    To be truthful, I'm not struggling on the calorie allowance, just the carbs allowance.

I thought 1.6 lbs was a healthy amount to lose a week? It doesn't seem a lot when I calculate how long it's going to take to get back to my old weight! :(

If you lose weight too fast, you can lose too much muscle mass, which nobody wants to have happen. How long did it take to put the weight on? Keep that in perspective when you think about how long it'll take it to come off. 1.6 pounds/week is pretty fast when you have only 50 to lose, and a lot of people (myself included) wind up feeling like garbage after a few weeks at 1200 and giving up.

I personally focus on hitting the protein macro more than anything else (feel free to look at my diary, although there have been a few wonky days recently. Including today.) If I hit that, I'm usually a little over on fats and under on carbs(mostly because I can't set my macros the way I really want them!).
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    eat more
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

If you are not struggling with the calorie allowance, and really are hung up on the carb target, you should evaluate what you are eating. Calorie target first (whatever that may be, everyone's is different), eat enough protein and fat, and let carbs fall where they may. Really is as simple as that.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

Carbs = not bad

1 stone = 14lb so that is about 50lbs
    1cm = appx 2.5 inches so 174cm is about 5 ft 8 or 9

1.6lbs a week is to fast try for 1lb a week...

1200 calories is not enough and it's not about the types of food you eat it's about the quantity.

Eat at a reasonable deficet...

ETA: Canadian and it's mid morning so my brain is functioning.

You sure about that? :laugh:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks Amylg05. I do eat brown rice but unfortunately my tastebuds have a definite aversion to most vegetables...especially green ones!lol

I am going to try the sweet potato wedges tho...thanks again :)

Keep trying new veggies.....cook them differently. Tastes change. Veggies will help you lower carbs if you need to.

One example.....there is a world of difference from canned green beans and fresh (steamed) ones. Try roasting veggies in the oven, add a little olive oil & garlic. Cauliflower is really good roasted. Grill asparagus. Grate carrots into sauces (chili, spaghetti) ....you'll hardly notice. Different methods will change flavors and textures.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options

You say you're not struggling, are you weighing and measuring everything? Are you actually eating 1200 and feeling fine and dandy? You said you are very sedentary.... if you eat more, you'll move more. Even subconsciously. If you are eating this low and feel fine it could mean your metabolism is low. Also losing 1.6 is too fast for most people. You'll lose muscle mass and plateau soon enough. Not good.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Why restrict carbs? Carbs just so happen to be the main calorie source found in human food.

People who restrict those foods have higher risk of all cause mortality. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1240623-fruit-n-veg-more-reduced-risk-or-all-cause-mortality

Carbs are delicious!!!
    natureskittles.jpg
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    The study of all cause mortality does not talk about "carbs" but vegetables, and fruit - with the exception of "canned and frozen fruit" and fruit juice.

It would be misleading to give the impression that http://jech.bmj.com/content/early/2014/03/03/jech-2013-203500.full.pdf+html even considers the effects of pasta, bread, potato etc let alone identifies them as beneficial.
    Vegetables may have a stronger
    association with mortality than fruit (HR for 2 to 3
    portions 0.81 (0.73 to 0.89) and 0.90 (0.82 to 0.98),
    respectively). Consumption of vegetables (0.85 (0.81 to
    0.89) per portion) or salad (0.87 (0.82 to 0.92) per
    portion) were most protective, while frozen/canned fruit
    consumption was apparently associated with increased
    mortality (1.17 (1.07 to 1.28) per portion).

I can eat 5 portions of vegetables on Atkins induction, possibly even a portion of raspberries on a good day.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Is it just me or is anyone else finding it difficult to find food that doesn't have a huge amount of carbs?

It isn't hard, if you avoid bread, pizza, pasta, potato in all forms, starchy root vegetables, sugar, cookies, candy, sweets, biscuits and the sweeter fruits (banana, grapes) you can put a big hole in it, should you wish to.

Your diary is closed so we can't see what's giving you the grief.