Went over calories

Options
I'm not sure how much I went over my calories, but by mental calculations it was enough for about a day and a half worth of food. How do I make up for this? I don't exercise, so, do I just go back to normal today? Do I not eat today, and back to normal tomorrow so that my weekly average looks good?

Replies

• Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    You move on. You don't starve yourself today in order to make up for yesterday, that's certainly not sustainable or happy. You just need to acknowledge that life happens, and today's a new day in which you get to start fresh.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    First, do not panic!

second, carry on logging and eating today like a normal day.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I'm panicking a little bit. I went from 121 to 125, and i know I didn't eat THAT much, but now I'm just wondering how long before I'm back to where I was :/ Perhaps I'll stop weighing daily, I haven't been so morbidly depressed in like five years. lol

thanks, guys!
  • amylg05
    amylg05 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Why dont you exercise? ;/ this would be the best way to make up for it in my opinion and by eating well (not necassarily less) for the rest of the week. I wouldnt over stress about it though, we all have the odd binge day (or week like I did last week! ¬.¬).

Edit: youre not overweight at all anyway so even less worries :P
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    It's one day.

As noted above... just move on. What's behind you is behind you.

Now if going over becomes a routine occurrence... then you need to pinpoint what's going on. Is your approach too rigid and depriving for example?

But if it's merely a blip on the radar... don't sweat it.

Remember, there are 3500 calories in a pound of fat. Slight slip-ups here and there aren't going to make any meaningful difference with your fat loss goals.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am not allowed to have scales in the house so I do not get on the scales every day. I wouldn't suggest daily weighing

was it very salty (I know my binges would be) because it might be a bit of water in there too.

but yes, stop panicking, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and start again. keep it sensible, one splurge is not going to be the end of the world unless you make it the end of your journey!
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Just carry on.

Usually, after I have a big day like that, I really don't feel like eating much the next day anyways, so I am typically a little light on calories naturally. If you feel like throwing in an extra cardio workout, go for it, but don't feel like you need to try to make up for it.

Just get back on track and don't overindulge often enough that it stops your progress.

Besides, it probably isn't as bad as you think. You gain a huge amount of water after you have been eating healthy and maintaining a deficit then overeat carbs. Every gram of carb you eat under those conditions that gets stored as glycogen picks up 4 parts of water with it, so your water weight goes way up.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    If you didn't - go back and log yesterday. You might be surprised. I think you're getting bogged down in the minutia of weight loss. Set some goals (realistic/measurable) and then work toward meeting them. Make them based on getting healthy and not about losing weight.

When you do this - you'll relax about the day to day junk and concentrate on what's really important - getting healthy.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    As someone posted a pic yesterday that said, "one bad meal didnt make you fat, just like one good meal wont make you skinny".
    and you can change that to day.

Went over one day?

Dont sweat it. No big deal. If you really want just lower your next few days by maybe 100-200 to chase 'em, but even at that I wouldnt even worry about it.

If you dont allow yourself to occassionaly go over then you will drive yourself insane.
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I like what someone on another post said about this same sort of thing:
    "Log it, own it and move on."

It was one day, it happened, and now it is time to get back to better habits.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I didn't log this past weekend because I went out of town to get drunk with my friends. Yeah, I will say it.

I did try to pick better menu items while eating out, but I didn't log. I was going to, but I just said ehh what the hell. Give me a beer!

I just went right back at it. Some of your weight could be water from high sodium, just fluctuation, who knows ...

Get back at it and the weight will go off again. You didn't just throw out weeks of hard work in 2 days.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No need to "make up for it." Just carry on...

And stop the mental calculations, they're likely grossly inaccurate. Log your food so you can hold yourself accountable.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    The beauty of it is every day is new and every day is yours to win. Keep on keepin' on........
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If you didn't - go back and log yesterday. You might be surprised. I think you're getting bogged down in the minutia of weight loss. Set some goals (realistic/measurable) and then work toward meeting them. Make them based on getting healthy and not about losing weight.

When you do this - you'll relax about the day to day junk and concentrate on what's really important - getting healthy.

THIS.

Especially at 120 something pounds, you don't need to worry yourself like that. I would recommend not weighing every day. A woman's weight fluctuates sometimes daily due to water retention, it doesn't mean a thing.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Do as you did before.. Question, why no exercise?
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate it. :-) I do count and weigh everything ordinarily, but last night was the exception. I ate two poptarts (800 calories), 2 sandwiches (250 each), and some pretzels, cottage cheese and mozzarella cheese which I did not account for, but imagine to be around ~200-300 calories extra.

I don't exercise because I've found that (FOR ME) when I diet (for weight loss) and exercise at the same time, I'll quit one for w/e reason and end up quitting both all together. I prefer to begin exercising when I'm at my goal weight and on maintenance. :-) Likewise, I get INSANELY hungry when I exercise. If I burn 100 calories exercising, I want to refuel with 500 calories, so I've found that (FOR ME) it works best when I'm on maintenance and have more calories to play with and exercise at night right before bed so I don't get ravenous :P

I just ate a delicious egg sandwich. Ty again guys! <33 I feel so much better, and FWIW I peed and lost a few ounces so that made me happier.

ETA: Oh, while I was singing the blues IRL my friend reminded me that I drink about two quarts of juice everyday, and a cup of tea, and a cup of coffee, and a bottle of water so I mean I have about a good 8-12 pounds (Okay, perhaps that's an exaggeration) of liquid in me at any given point LOL
  • deksgrl
    Options
    So, you ate 1600 calories. I doubt that this is over your TDEE unless you are a very tiny person, so you aren't going to gain anything.

Editing to add: 2 QUARTS of juice? That is a lot of calories.
  • defauIt
    defauIt Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just a note, 2 pop tarts (1 package) are 400 calories, not 800.

Unless you had 4 pop tarts (2 packages).
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    So, you ate 1600 calories. I doubt that this is over your TDEE unless you are a very tiny person, so you aren't going to gain anything.

Editing to add: 2 QUARTS of juice? That is a lot of calories.

It's 40 calories for the juice, I get the little low calorie packages from Wal-Mart. I am 5'3 1/2, and it's 1600 calories on top of the 1,300 I had previously for the day. lol, I went crazy.
    Just a note, 2 pop tarts (1 package) are 400 calories, not 800.

Unless you had 4 pop tarts (2 packages).

I had 4 poptarts (2 packages). But they're so good and irresistible. I think I need to ban Poptarts from my house until I can learn a little restraint....Or start lifting heavy specifically for the Poptarts. You know, screw the health benefits.
  • deksgrl
    Options

It's 40 calories for the juice, I get the little low calorie packages from Wal-Mart. I am 5'3 1/2, and it's 1600 calories on top of the 1,300 I had previously for the day. lol, I went crazy.

Okay. Well, that still is not enough to gain weight. You might have a smaller loss this week. Just don't make a habit of it. ;)