Green Tomatoe Recipes?

messyhare
messyhare Posts: 366 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I have an abundance of green tomatoes this year - I didn't get ANY red ones due to a very crappy summer.

Any ideas on what I can do with them besides the old fried green tomatoe trick? Will it make us sick to eat them in salsa? I ask that because they aren't ripe, right?

Replies

• Here's one ... But I think I might have a couple more for something other than salsa. I know the fried green tomatoes would be a bad food choice ... BUT ... YUMMMMM!

• 1 lb green tomatoes or tomatillos,chopped
    • 2Tbs grated onion
    • 1 jalapeno chili,seeded and minced
    • 1/2 c chopped cilantro
    • 2Tbs lime juice
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper
    • 2 large avocados,pitted,peeled,cut into chunks
    How to make it

Some recipes are pretty original!

The green tomato ketchup sounds interesting ;)
  • Here's one ... But I think I might have a couple more for something other than salsa. I know the fried green tomatoes would be a bad food choice ... BUT ... YUMMMMM!

• 1 lb green tomatoes or tomatillos,chopped
    • 2Tbs grated onion
    • 1 jalapeno chili,seeded and minced
    • 1/2 c chopped cilantro
    • 2Tbs lime juice
    • 1/2 tsp salt
    • 1/4 tsp pepper
    • 2 large avocados,pitted,peeled,cut into chunks
    How to make it

I think this is all I have ....

Tomato Fritters:
    Ingredients:
    • 2 cups peeled chopped green tomatoes
    • 2 cups fresh scraped corn kernels with juices
    • sugar
    • salt
    • pepper
    • 2 eggs, beaten
    • 1 cup milk
    • flour
    Preparation:
    Combine tomatoes and corn. Season with sugar, salt, and pepper. Add the beaten eggs, milk, and enough flour to hold the mixture together. Drop cakes into deep hot fat, at about 360° to 370°.

Traditional Green Tomato Harvest Pie:
    • . 4 or 5 really green tomatoes (2 1/2 cups coarsely grated)
    • Pastry for an 8 -inch 2-crust pie
    • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
    • 3 tablespoons flour
    • Rind of l lemon, grated finely
    • 6 tablespoons lemon juice
    • 1/2 cup golden raisins
    • 1/4 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon allspice
    • 1/4 cup minced candied ginger
    Put tomatoes through a coarse grater or a food processor's large shredder. Put in a colander and let drain overnight.
    Prepare double pie crust. Line 8-inch pie pan with half. Roll out second half and set aside. Mix remaining ingredients with tomatoes. Place in pie shell and cover with top crust. Prick holes in crust. Bake in 450 degree oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 40 minutes longer or until golden brown.

Broiled Tomatoes with Cheese:
    • Green tomatoes
    • Celery salt
    • Pepper, to taste
    • Finely ground bread crumbs
    • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    • 1 egg beaten well and diluted with 2 tablespoons water
    Wash green tomatoes. Drain and dry. Cut tomatoes crosswise into halves and slice a small piece off the tops and the bottoms. Sprinkle the halves with celery salt and pepper, to taste.
    Combine bread crumbs and cheese. Dip tomato halves in bread crumb mixture. Then dip in egg-water mixture and again in bread crumbs. Place breaded halves on a greased pan in a moderate oven, 375 degrees and bake until they are nearly soft. Place under broiler, turning once, until they are brown.

Stewed Green Tomatoes:
    Delicious as a side-dish when served with a hardy meat entree. 4 servings.
    • 2 tablespoons minced onion
    • 2 tablespoons vegetable margarine
    • 2 cups sliced green tomatoes
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1/4 teaspoon paprika
    • 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
    • 1 tablespoon chopped parsley(garnish)
    Saute onions in margarine in sauce pan until light brown. Add the green tomatoes. Stir and cook the tomatoes slowly until they are tender. Season with the remaining ingredients. Garnish with parsley.
  • messyhare
    Awesome! Thanks you two!

Green ketchup - have to try that one just to say I made some! I will do the salsa too.

I was leary of using them raw because I thought it might give tummy aches since they weren't fully ripe but I see that is probably not the case.

Thanks again!
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    I feel for ya...it was a crappy summer garden for us, too. My tomatoes were puny and only a small handful turned red. My bell peppers were so puny, they almost looked like longer than normal jalapenos. Ugh!!

Well, we took the green tomatoes, sliced them and grilled them. We used a variety of Mrs. Dash spices on them.

Good luck with the salsa and ketchup. Let us know how it goes. :)
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    I pickle them. It's easier than you think and they will keep in the fridge for months. I'll dig out the recipe and post it if you're interested.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Green Tomato Cake! I made this when my neighbor brought over a bunch of green tomatoes. It was such a hit that my mom made the recipe as did the neighbor.
    Here's the link http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/green-tomato-cake/Detail.aspx
    It has a lot of sugar but otherwise pretty decent for a cake. I made mine with whole wheat pastry flour and it turned out great! I didn't even make frosting for mine, it was just like a sweet bread so it didn't need it.
  • messyhare
    Green Tomato Cake! I made this when my neighbor brought over a bunch of green tomatoes. It was such a hit that my mom made the recipe as did the neighbor.
    Here's the link http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/green-tomato-cake/Detail.aspx
    It has a lot of sugar but otherwise pretty decent for a cake. I made mine with whole wheat pastry flour and it turned out great! I didn't even make frosting for mine, it was just like a sweet bread so it didn't need it.

Oh my heavens!!! I am going to make this tonight!! Sounds amazing. I think I will try to sub something for the sugar to make it a bit lower in calories.

Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.