Both arms or one at a time for overhead presses?

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
hey guys! I can do OH presses using 20lbs in each arm (simultaneously) or 25lbs doing one arm at a time. Which is better? The 20lbs in each arm is VERY challenging when I do both together BUT I can also complete the same # of reps using the 25lbs but doing one arm at a time.

Is one better or is there a difference?

Thanks!

Replies

• Lisa1971
    Options
    Anyone?
  • PumpJockeyy
    PumpJockeyy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter. It's just a different way of doing the exercise. I sometimes do both ways in the same workout to get more overhead pressing work in. I find I can focus on the front delt more doing it one arm at a time.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Doing them at the same time prevents leaning slightly to one side and thus 'taking some of the load off' the arm you're working. That's why you're noticing you can press more with one arm.
  • Lisa1971
    Options
    Thanks so much! I guess I will continue to do both arms together so I'm not tempted to cheat!:blushing:
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Both!! My trainer never has me do overhead presses one arm at a time. :drinker:
  • Lisa1971
    Options

Is there a reason why?
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I switch it up and do one arm and two arm. Honestly I find the one-arm to be harder. I have never found myself "leaning to the side" to make it easier. I can go much heavier on the double arm than the single.

There's really no reason not to switch it up and do both. I do that with a lot of exercises: I'll do single arm dumbbell presses and flies, single arm lateral raises & front raises etc. Just something a little different.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Is there a reason why?

If one maintains proper form--the coaching of which I would think is a basic service a personal trainer would provide--then doing a single-arm press can provide some variety and additional stabilizing work--not to mention a modest amount of core work because one side is overloaded. It's not a question of better/worse, just variety.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    MapleFlavouredMaiden Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Switch it up. Also think about switching up tempo, rests, sets, etc. Try drop sets, tri-sets, pyramid, etc. No need to stick to one exercise one way!! :)
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Switch it up. Also think about switching up tempo, rests, sets, etc. Try drop sets, tri-sets, pyramid, etc. No need to stick to one exercise one way!! :)

^^^^This
  • this1bigdog
    this1bigdog Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    with OHP in general the usual determine factor which prevent most people from lifting a lot of weight is the stabilizer muscles aren't well developed . .so do both, as the stablizers increase the weight will increase . .you'll see body builders spend a lot of time hitting the muscles from different angles . .that's why body builders will do like 5+ exercises for the one muscle group. it helps build an overall more developed muscle (not saying better, just a functional one)