How do you use your FitBit with MFP to reach your goals?

Options
BerryH
BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
I recently found the FitBit One I thought I'd lost months ago, attached to a skirt I haven't worn since the last time the weather was nice!

In the meantime I'd delinked FitBit from MFP, and I think I'll keep it that way - the estimated daily calorie burn based on exercise early in the day that then diminished throughout the day really threw out my eating plans.

The way I see it, FitBit is designed to encourage you to bump up your NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis - what you burn on your day to day activities. MFP makes sure you meet your calorie goals taking into account any formal exercise you do.

As a side note, I'd always tried to meet my FitBit steps, floors and mileage goals, but I noticed recently I'm not hittnig its calorie burn goals - I need to make my NEAT more frequent and vigorous!

I'd be interested to see how other MFP FitBit users use theirs :flowerforyou:

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE—way more accurate than any online calculator.

MFP has a Fitbit Users group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1307-fitbit-users
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Yup, I use my FitBit TDEE for my calculations, awesome, isn't it? I just meant it has a TDEE goal which you can see in the console:

FitBitCals_zps68a6fd84.jpg

So for instance on Monday I hit 10,000 steps but didn't reach my TDEE goal, but on Tuesday I was some way behind my step goal but exceeded my TDEE goal because some of that was running and doing an exercise DVD.

I'm just not sure how to go about making TDEE my "Nailed it!" goal rather than steps and floors. I might try posting in the group, thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Weezoh
    Weezoh Posts: 171 Member
    Options

I'm just not sure how to go about making TDEE my "Nailed it!" goal rather than steps and floors. I might try posting in the group, thanks! :flowerforyou:

It's on the settings | device page; calories burned is one of the options for your display goal