TDEE?

Options
I am pretty new and I have seen a lot of people refer to their TDEE...what is that and why is it usually different from what MFP gives you for your calorie intake? Is going by one better then the other for weight loss?

Replies

• katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. It's how many calories you burn IN TOTAL each day (BMR + exercise).

There are several calculators out there; I prefer IIFYM:
    http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am pretty new and I have seen a lot of people refer to their TDEE...what is that and why is it usually different from what MFP gives you for your calorie intake? Is going by one better then the other for weight loss?

No one is not better.

They are just different approaches.

TDEE is typically used by those who have consistent or hard to "guesstimate" exercise calories ie people who lift weights.

Most of the time time TDEE-x% is MFP calories + exercise calories.
  • ChrysalisCove
    ChrysalisCove Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure. This is your BMR (Basic Metabolic Rate) + energy burned through your typical daily activity. The number is different than MFP's calculations because on MFP you log exercise separately & with TDEE it is already accounted for. After logging exercise into MFP, it is typically very close to your TDEE unless you are attempting to lose too quickly for the amount you have to lose. TDEE tends to work best for peoe whose activity levels are fairly consistent. You can calculate it here:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

PS - People following the TDEE plan typically use a cut of 10-20% of TDEE as their calorie goal.
  • jdb3388
    jdb3388 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I typically take my TDEE at "sedentary" and then add in my exercise calories and subtract 1000 (which is my deficit) and thats what I eat for the day. It's typically in the 1850 range, but if i don't get a good workout I tend to eat less. If MFP were perfect, it would do it that way on its own, but unfortunately, I havnt found a way to make it do that.