Wear Blue - Autism Awareness Day!

Options
lwagnitz
lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
Today is the 7th annual WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY. Wear blue today! Working with kids with autism, this cause holds a special place in my heart. Autism is increasing, with recent figures showing 1 in 68 kids being affected by autism. Autism is characterized by difficulties in social interaction, communication, and repetitive and compulsive behaviors. Each person with autism is unique, displaying both unique characteristics of the disorder, and unique personality traits. They can display exceptional abilities that you or I would be jealous of. If you ever get the chance to meet someone with autism, take the the opportunity to learn with them, grow with them and appreciate their way of viewing the world; because I guarantee you, you'll walk away with a better understanding of yourself and the world. To learn more, visit www.autismspeaks.org You won't regret it.

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    by all means, wear blue and learn about autism, but as an adult Aspie & mom of an Aspie, I don't think autism is more common. I think people are better at recognizing it. Just my $.02. :drinker:
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    by all means, wear blue and learn about autism, but as an adult Aspie & mom of an Aspie, I don't think autism is more common. I think people are better at recognizing it. Just my $.02. :drinker:

Yes, there is a belief that the increasing awareness is increasing the cases. So, the more awareness, the more likely those with autism will be diagnosed who otherwise may not, thus allowing them to have access to the services they deserve! :flowerforyou: