Introducing...me (leah)

Options
So, I am turning 33 in two weeks, and I just kind of noticed that I am 40 lbs. overweight. I am active...I have run a marathon (well, that was 3 years ago this October), I JUST ran a 5k race, I ride bikes, walk everywhere, love rugby and ultimate frisbee...but I also love to cook...a lot....like really ridiculously. And I love to eat.

We were relocated to WA state from the East Coast, and I guess everyone here talks about putting on the "Washington 20". Well, as in most aspects of my personality, I have gone well beyond the norm!!! I have been unhappy here, and just realized that I am eating in a self destructive way. However, I am an all or nothing kind of person, and you can't just STOP eating altogether. I have problems acheiving moderation with ANY aspect of ANYTHING. And I am addicted to food. Terribly. I think about it all the time. Most moms feed their kids cereal...we have an orange french toast with caramelized bananas and blueberry glaze, and eggs scrambled with canadian bacon, peppers, and green onions, and homemade biscuits (with real butter) and gravy. It's bad.

I tried phentermine last year (had to lose weight for Hawaii trip) and lost a bunch of weight quickly, but then had a cardiac episode. I knew it was coming...hadn't slept in days. Now, I am desperate enough to try it again, but at 1/4 the normal dose, and only every other day. First, I am going to try this food diary and see what happens. I am scared of the meds, but even more scared of continuing on in this body. I can't believe this has happened to ME! Can't believe I have done this to myself!

So, it's time to undo it! I am running five days a week, and doing some yoga and light weights, lots of reps. Just starting. I appreciate in advance the support of those of you who are on a similar journey! Here's to suffering for the greater good!

Replies

• fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hi, welcome - good luck on your journey, I'm sure you can do it! Can I ask though maybe you could give MFP a shot first and if after a month or so you still want to go on the meds? just a thought - I'd hate to have you hurt yourself and I think if you use MFP sincerely you'll be amazed at what you can achieve, I have been :) xx
  • mykaar74
    mykaar74 Posts: 253
    Options
    Welcome Leah,

wish you all the best on your journey. You will find lots of support & motivation. Feel free to add me as a supportive friend
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It's a great site with lots of awesome people who will motivate you along the way. It's been one of the best decisions I have made in a long time. Good luck with your journey and feel free to add me as a friend, we can motivate each
    other.
  • YourFriendBecky
    Options
    Hi, Leah... first of all, I want to come to your house for breakfast. : )

Just remember this, love... especially since you're already a foodie who loves to cook (or someone in your house does)-- you're going to have a lot more success if you can avoid making food the enemy. Food should not be the enemy. Food is good. Nothing should be off limits. It's taken me 56 years of behaving like two different people (the naughty child and the punishing taskmistress) and a huge amount of weight gained for me to realize that I don't need, and don't want, to be enemies with food. All I need to do is keep track of it.

I've gained an average of 13 pounds a year for the last dozen years. I didn't do it by binge eating or eating big meals. I did it by spending too much time sitting, and eating a measly 125 calories extra each day, on average. I wish I'd figured that out a long time ago, and I could have avoided a whole lot of trouble. It's really so easy to gain weight... as you're discovering... but the thing is, it's not a big deal to lose it, either, if you just use this great tool here to keep track of what you eat. And once you get some of your favorite foods plugged in, it's a breeze to use.

Really try to avoid the pills if you can, okay? Especially since you had problems with them. We want you feeling better, not worse. Hugs and best wishes.