running and bathroom needs :)

Options
anyone else have to go to the bathroom during a run? Do you eat certain foods to avoid this? Worried about this if I try a 10k next month.

I run 5k's twice a week and 9/10 I dont have any issues, but sometimes I have to make a mad dash to bathroom after my run, so adding more miles is making me nervous.

Replies

• meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    that's why there are porta potties available. You'll be fine!
  • Mistraal1981
    Mistraal1981 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When I did mine I took one immodium (over the counter tablet for when you have diarrhoea in the UK) about an hour before
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I also do immodium before a race, usually the night before, just before I go to bed. I don't usually have an issue with having to pee during a normal run.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    depends
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Staying hydrated is key, but over consumption will lead to many bathroom breaks!

Just try it out, as previously said there are washrooms provided, but I personally have never had this issue.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Who Doesn't?

Use the bathroom before you line up.

If you have more than just a full bladder during your run try Imodium and getting up earlier to have your coffee a couple of hours before the race. Make sure you sign up for races that have bathrooms/ portable bathrooms along the race.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    meal timing or determination, your choice :)

2d9sgsy1.jpg
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options

2d9sgsy1.jpg

Oh my
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Be careful with the Immodium - it dehydrates you to prevent diarrhea. If you are running a longer distance you risk some very bad things happening. :frown:
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me during a race. I ate too close to the race. And another time it was because I took a pre workout right before (bad) So now I pushed back my meal times for 3hrs before the race and eat a little smaller portion sizes. This is what I do for races above 13mi. Less than that, I would eat a energy bar and just drink at the stations on the course.
  • gymbunny1962
    gymbunny1962 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Same problem here - I now do all my running on a treadmill as I can never really tell when it's going to happen. Would much prefer to run outdoors but daren't try until I can find a solution.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It has happened to me during a race. I ate too close to the race. And another time it was because I took a pre workout right before (bad) So now I pushed back my meal times for 3hrs before the race and eat a little smaller portion sizes. This is what I do for races above 13mi. Less than that, I would eat a energy bar and just drink at the stations on the course.
    Oh wow! I'm glad that works for you, but I value my sleep too much to get up to eat 3 hours before a race. I don't think I could do that. Normally that would mean eating about 4 am! I don't get enough sleep before a race as it is because of being excited/anxious.
    I've eaten those frozen Smuckers Uncrustables peanut butter and jelly sandwiches before a race before (thaw them out the night before). But I'm never too hungry before a race, unfortunately.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Same problem here - I now do all my running on a treadmill as I can never really tell when it's going to happen. Would much prefer to run outdoors but daren't try until I can find a solution.

Toilet paper and a wooded area.

That happened to me during a long training run however before we left I knew I was going to have issues so I brought along some TP.

Honestly I'd just try to avoid eating too close to the race and eating something that you know is going to disagree with you. If worse comes to worse there may be porto potties on the course or you can find a fairly closed area to do your business.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

2d9sgsy1.jpg

Oh my
    I was waiting for someone to post this haha! :sick: