Do you log on vacation?

Options
I'm going on a cruise at the beginning of May and starting to plan how to handle the food. Not sure if I should try to log, or just be careful while relaxing and having a good time. Tips?
Thanks

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It might be difficult to log unless the restaurants on the ship have their nutritional information readily available.
    Life happens. It's not a huge deal. Just try to make good choices.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Eat all the food?
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy yourself and then get back to it when you return home.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Not a chance.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, treat yourself ... I'm sure the food is yummy!

If you do not want to splurge too much ... just make better decisions at some of your meals. Instead of a loaded baked potato, eat some steamed veggies ...

But definitely enjoy the good stuff while you are there :)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Eat all the food?
    This!
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Go enjoy yourself and then get back to it when you return home.

yessss! :D
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    If I were going on vacation where I'd still have cell phone service, I'd still log. I'd estimate. Even if I go way over, I like to see how much I'm eating.
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm going on a cruise at the beginning of May and starting to plan how to handle the food. Not sure if I should try to log, or just be careful while relaxing and having a good time. Tips?
    Thanks

On a cruise you will have NO cell service so there is no way unless you pay their fees to get online. Honestly just make good choices but enjoy yourself. Cruise food is AWESOME and there's lots of it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I log on vacation. But if there's no cell/internet, I wouldn't.

If you want to continue to lose weight, participate in activities and eat mainly lean protein/veg. If you want to maintain, just keep active and eat reasonable portion sizes. If you don't care, lay around all day and eat all the foods.
  • LollyChester
    Options
    Thanks

I suppose it depends on your mode - if this is a diet, and only a temporary way of eating i suppose not tracking food is fine. If it's your forever, and you track as a means of responsibility and you don't want to undo the losses you have already achieved, even if it means simply tracking on paper daily - I'd still track and then log it on asap. Not meaning to sound mean about it - just real.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Hell no.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My vacation isn't until July (such a long way off! :frown: ) I will be able to log for the first part of the week, but after that I am going to family camp and learned last summer when I went I get no cell phone reception so I won't be able to log
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have never logged on vacation. I always used it as an opportunity to practice moderation and portion control and better decision making without having to log everything...IMHO, logging is just training wheels and shouldn't be something you think you're going to do for the rest of your life so vacations are a good way to practice "real life" eating. I don't think I ever lost on vacation, but I always maintained and I enjoyed myself.

IMO, logging and tracking calories isn't the "lifestyle change" that people are talking about when they talk about "lifestyle change." Calorie counting is just training.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Thanks

So far, I've logged in every day regardless of where I am
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I try to log, but it doesn't always happen.
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    No way. I do tend to stay active on vacations (lots of walking, hiking, etc), so that seems to offset the damage I do by eating lots of delicious food and drinking lots of delicious beer. :)
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I plan to log as best I can and hopefully make better choices while away. I really don't want to lose my streak. So even if I don't log my food, I will at the very least log water.
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    When I go on cruises, I try to eat healthy. They have nice salad bars and healthy choices on their menu. It's always the same though, I always gain 6 pounds even though I walk alot and use the gym. Enjoy your cruise.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Thanks

I do, but it's really just gee-whiz information and I don't worry too much about accuracy because you're not likely to have accurate nutritional information. So I'll use my best guess and try not to go blatantly overboard while also realizing that it's just vacation, so as long as I keep the carefree attitude on the ship and don't keep it up at home, I'll be fine.

I'd say just go, have a good time, and just use enough common sense measures, like drinking a glass of water before eating, or doing multiple SMALL trips thorough the buffet instead of piling your plate high in each trip, and making sure you eat your fruits and vegetables, too, to keep you from going way overboard. After all, one of the best parts of cruising is that you get to try new and different foods.