RIGHT AMOUNT OF CAL -> TOO MUCH FAT & CARB & SUGAR!

Options
PRguez
PRguez Posts: 61 Member
Hello,

I have started (again) to track my food to see if I can loose some weight.

There is one thing that puzzles me; I don't cross the max cal allowance and more or less everything is within the range that should be but when i do reports it shows that i eat more than i should of about everything; carbs, fat, sugar, ...

Anybody has any insights? tips? suggestions?

xx

Replies

• jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    If you hit your macros, you will hit your calorie goal.

Make sure all entries are accurate - lots on the site are not correct and you should use your own!

ETA: spelling.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Eat more lean meats, seafood, nuts, whole grains... items high in protein and fiber. Take some time to check the labels before you eat to see what will fit your goals for the day.

ETA: Also, get a food scale. Make sure what you're putting in your diary are the actual servings (usually in grams) rather than ".25 bowl) or "15 kernels of pistachios". This may also have an effect on your goals since you don't know if you're getting the exact serving sizes.
  • MageAdorialea
    Options
    I have the same issue, and I recognize it's because while I'm eating low calorie foods, they're loaded with fats and sugars. I was amazed to find out after my morning bagel I had already used up most of my carbs and sugars recommended for the day.

I do love me a good bagel though, but I've had to find a replacement. A bowl of Special K Yogurt and Berries with vanilla soy milk is just as delicious - and a lot lower in sugar.
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    If you have too much fat and carbs, that means you're not getting enough protein. All calories fall into 1 of three groups: fats, carbs, and proteins. Your daily goals for each of these will lead to your daily calorie goal (For every carb and protein there is 4 calories, for every fat 9 calories). Sugar is just a type of carb.

Therefore, if you're still within your calorie goal, but over on fats and carbs, then you're not getting much in the way of protein. Upping this will help you feel full for longer periods of time, since it takes longer for your body to digest proteins. This in turn will make losing weight easier. You can do this by eating more lean proteins like turkey, fish, and chicken. Nonfat dairy is a decent source of protein too, yogurt and cottage cheese in particular.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    try to get more protein i.e meat, fish, eggs, cheese etc
  • czwalton
    czwalton Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hard-boiled eggs or just egg whites if you're too high on fat are also a cheap and easy form of protein and they make a good snack.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you need to change some of the things you are eating, not just eat less of the same things.
    Sorry, but that's reality.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    try to get more protein i.e meat, fish, eggs, cheese etc

I learned that when I hit my protein goal ... I am usually under in most my other macros. So I focus on hitting my protein goal.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight you need to change some of the things you are eating, not just eat less of the same things.

Not necessarily...you can lose weight just at a calorie deficit. But do you want to just eat french fries all day? No. You need to get a good balance for nutrition. But that isn't necessarily an accurate statement.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Not necessarily...you can lose weight just at a calorie deficit. But do you want to just eat french fries all day? No. You need to get a good balance for nutrition. But that isn't necessarily an accurate statement.
    French fries all day :love:
  • PRguez
    Options
    If you hit your macros, you will hit your calorie goal.

Make sure all entries are accurate - lots on the site are not correct and you should use your own!

ETA: spelling.

oh! I use what it is already in the database! Doh! means more work... ok i can do this.

Sorry but what exactly is macros?

xx
  • PRguez
    Options
    Eat more lean meats, seafood, nuts, whole grains... items high in protein and fiber. Take some time to check the labels before you eat to see what will fit your goals for the day.

ETA: Also, get a food scale. Make sure what you're putting in your diary are the actual servings (usually in grams) rather than ".25 bowl) or "15 kernels of pistachios". This may also have an effect on your goals since you don't know if you're getting the exact serving sizes.

i try to do that; it is more i am eating everyday nuts as a snack instead of some random junk... but nuts really hits the fat max quick.. . even though i consider them a good fat :)

I haven't got a kitchen scale, i was doing it by eye ... *blushed*
  • PRguez
    Options
    If you have too much fat and carbs, that means you're not getting enough protein. All calories fall into 1 of three groups: fats, carbs, and proteins. Your daily goals for each of these will lead to your daily calorie goal (For every carb and protein there is 4 calories, for every fat 9 calories). Sugar is just a type of carb.

Therefore, if you're still within your calorie goal, but over on fats and carbs, then you're not getting much in the way of protein. Upping this will help you feel full for longer periods of time, since it takes longer for your body to digest proteins. This in turn will make losing weight easier. You can do this by eating more lean proteins like turkey, fish, and chicken. Nonfat dairy is a decent source of protein too, yogurt and cottage cheese in particular.

i am trying to increase the protein part, i just find difficult to decrease the cabs/fat, specially carbs since everything seems to contain them!
    :)
  • PRguez
    Options

French fries all day :love:

I am lucky I don't really care for french fries :bigsmile:

And I am aiming for a good healthy balance anyways... so i guess i can eat chocolate all day (but less) :noway:
  • echofm1
    echofm1 Posts: 471 Member
    Options

i am trying to increase the protein part, i just find difficult to decrease the cabs/fat, specially carbs since everything seems to contain them!

I'm always over on my carbs, I definitely get it. Sometimes you have to trade out things. Example: Instead of eating cereal or a bagel for breakfast, eat a couple eggs. They don't have any carbs. For a snack, bring some turkey slices or nonfat cottage cheese instead of a granola bar. They'll still have some carbs, but your balance will lean towards protein more. Look for things in your diet that have a lot of fat, and trade them out for things that are higher in protein. It takes a bit of conscious effort, particularly at the beginning, but it helped me to trade out one item in my meal for something more in line with my goals.

Or, if you're healthy and don't feel ravenous all the time, don't worry about your macros (carbs, proteins, and fats are collectively called macros). If it's sustainable for you, macros will not hinder your weight loss if you stick to your calorie goal. The main concern is nutrition.

P.S. You don't need a food scale, but DO use measuring cups. It's very uncommon that you can accurately eyeball everything you eat. Measuring cups are variable to some degree, but will at least get you in the ball park
  • PRguez
    Options

I'm always over on my carbs, I definitely get it. Sometimes you have to trade out things. Example: Instead of eating cereal or a bagel for breakfast, eat a couple eggs. They don't have any carbs. For a snack, bring some turkey slices or nonfat cottage cheese instead of a granola bar. They'll still have some carbs, but your balance will lean towards protein more. Look for things in your diet that have a lot of fat, and trade them out for things that are higher in protein. It takes a bit of conscious effort, particularly at the beginning, but it helped me to trade out one item in my meal for something more in line with my goals.

Or, if you're healthy and don't feel ravenous all the time, don't worry about your macros (carbs, proteins, and fats are collectively called macros). If it's sustainable for you, macros will not hinder your weight loss if you stick to your calorie goal. The main concern is nutrition.

P.S. You don't need a food scale, but DO use measuring cups. It's very uncommon that you can accurately eyeball everything you eat. Measuring cups are variable to some degree, but will at least get you in the ball park

Thanks for the tips! It is a good idea... trading one thing for other... I can kind of cope with food craving but not with chocolate cravings... but oh well let's gonna beat this up!

And i'll do the cup measurement, I didn't really want to use a scale all the time, I didn't want to feel to obsessed like a duty.... :wink:
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too, i got into my head hte "healthy plate" proportions with a third carb, and once i started looking at hte reports worked out that i was very over on cards, but then i realised that my breakfasts are primarily carb, so while i should have about a third carb a day (by healthy plate volume) actually i was balancing lunch and supper but no breakfast, so i was over

look at filling yourself up on low carb veg and good proteins, (fish, eggs, hard cheeses and lean meats)

you can also try working one meal a day with no carbs side dish, so if you have bread or cereals for breakfast, try either lunch or supper without any potatoes, fries, rice, pasta, couscous, pastry or bread (this will still contain some carbs but many fewer), i really enjoy salads at lunch with either fish, chicken, turkey or cheese

it can sometimes be easier to work a low card breakfast - so poached egg and mushrooms for example

you'll get the hang of it, remember, keep trying, weight everything and check the nutritional contents