Chipotle - Healthy Option?

Options

Replies

• writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I usually get a bowl with brown rice, black beans, chicken, mild and corn salsas, lettuce, and guacamole. If I have the calories left for it, I'll get cheese, too. I only wish (as with so many other things) their meals weren't loaded with sodium.

I'm tempted to head over there for dinner after reading this thread! I've been really sick for the last week and am finally getting my appetite back, and I still have plenty of calories left for the day.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Chipotle needs a white meat chicken option...their steak is as lean as the chicken.
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Eliminate the chicken, cheese and sour cream to make it more healthy. Their mild salsa is really good, too.

Why the Chicken - it is lean Chicken breast, right?
  • Wookinpanub
    Wookinpanub Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Chipotle needs a white meat chicken option...their steak is as lean as the chicken.

I thought their chicken was grilled chicken breasts (white meat).
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Eliminate the chicken, cheese and sour cream to make it more healthy. Their mild salsa is really good, too.

So OP should have a bowl of rice and salsa? Delicious!

And by delicious, I mean exceedingly lame.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options

you can get as much of anything you want, except meat, for free

if you get a burrito, you've entered the Chipotle hall of fame when they need two tortillas to wrap your burrito ;)
    OMG.... I can't wait to go to america for this....
  • thomaszabel
    thomaszabel Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Love Chipotle. I consider it healthiER, but not as healthy as most stuff I eat. It's not anywhere near as bad as McDonalds, in my opinion.

I have it a few times a month on days I have already put in an hour or two of exercise to counteract the calories.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

OP, if you're even entertaining this idea don't bother going.

Now I want Chipotle, in addition to a Blizzard.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, then it's healthy. As for me, I prefer Mexican food that tastes good, but each to their own...

chipotle is awesome...GTFO with your elitest taste buds and enjoy the nature of less options ready to go.

Freebirds is better, but only the fortunate have those in their towns...

You are crazy! Freebirds is NOT better. Chipotle is food of the GODS!!!!! Freebirds is an expensive, blander copy. They dispense their guac out of a gun!!!!
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options

Just eat air - it is calorie free and there is plenty of it to go around...
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, then it's healthy. As for me, I prefer Mexican food that tastes good, but each to their own...

chipotle is awesome...GTFO with your elitest taste buds and enjoy the nature of less options ready to go.

Freebirds is better, but only the fortunate have those in their towns...

You are crazy! Freebirds is NOT better. Chipotle is food of the GODS!!!!! Freebirds is an expensive, blander copy. They dispense their guac out of a gun!!!!

FREEBIRDS IS THE BEST.

Why is Texas so far from Minnesota?
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Why the Chicken - it is lean Chicken breast, right?

Because he eats nothing but fruit and makes massive gainz brah
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    I get a side of meat.
  • tchell99
    tchell99 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I would like to ring in on the rice and tortilla's issue

these are both healthy foods in moderation...

they are good foods

they are also delicious foods.

I, myself, limit the amount I eat because I have tummy aches after eating them. but I would NEVER tell someone else not to eat them

because they are good and delicious (i love them so so so much!)

but like ALL foods, even good foods, you have to have them in a healthy moderation

that's all.

Agree (except I don't get tummy aches - that really sucks)! I like to get the bowl with a lettuce base and just a half-portion of rice and black beans, then load up on the veggies. This leaves me wiggle room for cheese/guac which are calorically pricey, but nonetheless desirable to me. That's the beauty of build-your-own. Satisfy your craving(s) of the moment.
  • bsoxluvr
    bsoxluvr Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Chipotle is my go-to on the go option, but be careful with their nutrition info. At least in my experience, they double what you estimate on the calculator. For instance, beans and rice are listed as a single serving (1/4 cup) but the location near me gives you double that. I usually ask that they give me half a normal serving or split the bowl into two meals.
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

No. A Mexican plate without some sort of meat or cheese = crap.
  • ordinaryloser
    ordinaryloser Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I usually just get:

1/2 Chicken, 1/2 Steak (Or Extra Chicken)
    Black Beans (On Training Days)
    Extra Veggies
    Salsa
    Sour Cream (Sometimes)

As far as sodium goes, you could be doing a lot better but the bowl itself usually only comes up to about 500-600 cals which is mainly protein which is the bulk of my macros anyway.
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    heeeeey, stop picking on the vegan options!!!

It's still delicious without the meat, cheese and sour cream...... :(

Its actually an awesome place for vegans, especially now with the sofritas, but I don't really like the sofritas....

ANNNND if you just get the veggies you don't have to pay for guac, it's amazing.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    heeeeey, stop picking on the vegan options!!!

It's still delicious without the meat, cheese and sour cream...... :(

Its actually an awesome place for vegans, especially now with the sofritas, but I don't really like the sofritas....

ANNNND if you just get the veggies you don't have to pay for guac, it's amazing.

OP isn't a vegan.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I think Chipolte is very good and if I have about 1/3 of one of their bowls that is plenty and leaves enough for two more meals. I used their web site to calculate the calories the last time I was there and it came to over 1,300. I don't remember the details, other than I had added guacamole but I was glad that I did not have the whole bowl for a single meal.