frustrated

Options
You know I keep reading on here that it is so important to measure properly and well it is. But you can measure all you want and if you happen to choose the item in the database that has a lower calorie count than the other fifty items FOR THE SAME THING, then you could be off hundreds of calories FOR THAT ONE ITEM. Each time I want to enter an item I must select at least three items within that category and then try to take an average of the items listed. This is very time consuming and frustrating. Is it only me?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you should consider checking the manufacturer's nutritional labels and compare against the items in the MFP database. Another option would be to create your own food entries into MFP.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I know right! What types of items are you having trouble with?
  • meltedsno
    meltedsno Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I always choose the one with the most calories listed so that way I know I am covered...if it turns out that my total calorie intake for the day is actually a little lower than I inputted, then great... would rather err on that side than select a lower calorie listing and, in reality, be over at the end of the day
  • A_nori
    A_nori Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always either use the scan feature if it is available, which is always dead on. If it is not a packaged food (chicken/veggies/etc) I try to use the MFP option. Anything without a * was entered by the MFP staff so I trust that way more than something that one of us entered.
  • Heliconia
    Heliconia Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Oh, I didn't know that about the *. I will make note of that from now on. Yes, I do take the highest calorie option usually unless it is way out of whack from what the others are but that entails searching through many and trying pick the best option. I was trying to enter a 14oz can of coconut milk manufactured by Tropinuts (a Costa Rican company) as well as some homemade chicken stock. First of all I searched for hours (lol, just my habit of making major exaggerations) to find any listing for a 14oz can of coconut milk. Very difficult. My can says 552 calories per CUP. Can that be right? So I wanted to compare to see what other manufactures list for theirs. Then the homemade chicken stocks were all over the place as well. I saw one that was 500 and some calories a cup. Really, for chicken stock? Thanks for all your replies.
  • mirnamx
    mirnamx Posts: 1
    Options
    I feel the same way.