Running advice

Options
So I'm about to sign up for a "Zombie 5K" which will include obstacles along with the running. I'm not worried about the obstacles, it's the running I'm nervous about. I've never been good at running outdoors. I can "run" on an elliptical machine for two hours, I can walk outside forever, but whenever I've run outdoors in the past my HR spikes and I become very short of breath. Any advice from experienced runners as to my best bet for running outside would be appreciated.

Replies

• snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I would start with some sort of Couch to 5k program. It helps slowly build stamina. There's even a zombie themed one out there! :smile:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I would just suggest slowing down. Most people start off running too fast and as you experienced, can't sustain it. Try just slowing it down to a lighter jog. You don't need to sprint the entire time :) Have fun at the race!
  • hdkinsey10
    hdkinsey10 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a treadmill, you may want to find a slower pace that you can keep without getting short of breath. You can also try the Endomondo app that uses the GPS on your phone to track your distance and speed outdoors. I had this same issue when I started running and eventually I realized that I probably won't ever run at 6mph, but that's okay! At least I'm running... :)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    This is a really really great post.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1217573-so-you-want-to-start-running

On top of that, get off the elliptical and get outside.

And - slow down! (pretty sure that is covered in the link though)
  • Jenn842512
    Jenn842512 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Running outside rocks my socks off :) Enjoy the sights and distractions making time and distance less noticeable. Breath deep, slow, and easy. Did you know the bottom third of your lungs almost never gets emptied so carbon dioxide builds up in there? Blow out!
    When it hurts, slow down, walk even. But then when you're able (and push yourself here), pick it up again! Those walk segments will get shorter and shorter.

I remember a few years ago when my goal was half a mile without stopping. Last Sunday I did 13.5 just as a standard training. If you ever want to talk about running, I'm your girl!
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Slow down. Period. You're clearly going too fast. I recommend practicing outside with some kind of GPS (I use Nike+ app on my phone) to track your general speed. It's off a bit, but not too much. Go for a few minutues at your normal pace just to get a baseline then add about 2 mins per mile to it. You should be able to talk while jogging/running. If you can't you're going too fast.

For me, my normal run pace is a 9.5 - 10 min/mi on short distances. When I do a long run or a race (unless it's a 5K) I add at least 1.5 mins/mi to my pace. Gotta keep those legs moving steady and those lungs breathing for the long haul.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    To get your breath under control you probably just need to slow down a little, which you'll need to do anyway during the race because of the obstacles. I run outdoors and the only time I'm likely to have a problem with shortness of breath is when the going is too easy, like on a track oval. It's almost never a problem running roadside because the constantly changing terrain and traffic conditions force me to hit the brakes from time to time.
  • ashleykenny8
    ashleykenny8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to start this evening. Based on all your advice, I'll start out slow and see where it goes. Jenn842512, that's awesome that you've come so far!!!! I'm not sure if I will ever get to over 13 miles, but I'm hoping that one of these days I can go 5 without feeling like I'm going to die. 3dogsrunning, thanks for that link. I didn't read the whole thing all the way through yet but what I did read was informative.
    Wish me luck :)
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    So I'm about to sign up for a "Zombie 5K" which will include obstacles along with the running. I'm not worried about the obstacles, it's the running I'm nervous about. I've never been good at running outdoors. I can "run" on an elliptical machine for two hours, I can walk outside forever, but whenever I've run outdoors in the past my HR spikes and I become very short of breath. Any advice from experienced runners as to my best bet for running outside would be appreciated.

Good advice would be to work on running in general. You can do elliptical and walking all day but running is different and if you never run then starting out doing a 5k is not practical. Start jogging for 30 seconds and walking for 2 mins. Do that on and off, then go up to run 1 min and walk for 2 eventually start to run more and walk less. Its hard and takes time to be able to run for a period of time. Dont over do it
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options

Good advice would be to work on running in general. You can do elliptical and walking all day but running is different and if you never run then starting out doing a 5k is not practical. Start jogging for 30 seconds and walking for 2 mins. Do that on and off, then go up to run 1 min and walk for 2 eventually start to run more and walk less. Its hard and takes time to be able to run for a period of time. Dont over do it

This.

I do elliptical for an hour and I'm mildly damp. I run an hour and I am soaked with sweat. You get the picture.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I concur about using the couch fo 5k. Each spring our gym does this and gets people ready for the first 5k of the season with great results.

The zombie and other 5ks are very much different and "easier" to actually run than a regular 5k. You are stopping slowing, walking, going over, or around and avoiding, the obstacles and you dont run like you do in a regular 5k.

These type of things are going over great as it gets the 5k people, and also the non 5k people included because you dont really have to run as much or hard.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    When is the race? Def do the c25k program, and take it slow. I think it's a 9 week program. If there are obstacles, you will have breaks waiting for people to get through them so it won't be constant running.
  • ashleykenny8
    ashleykenny8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    The race is May 17th, so I have about 6 weeks to get ready.

I tried it out today and did better than I thought I would. I went for about a total of 60 minutes and ended up running about 10-15 minutes of it. I tried to take it slow but not lazy. I jogged until I could feel myself starting to wheeze and then slowed down and walked again until I could feel my breathing return to normal. I just repeated the cycle and I feel really good at the moment. I'll have this running thing down in no time ;)