Curious about injuries

Options
When I was in college, I dislocated my elbow. I will spare the gross details, but let's just say it took a 15lb weight being dropped from my arm to help pop in back into place. I was knocked out so I don't remember that part! Anyway, even after physical therapy I only regained a 30 degree range of motion.

This makes a few things a bit difficult for me. For example, a friend was showing me what she does for her workouts yesterday. She was in a push up position, and she would balance on one hand while punching the other hand out, then she would switch. I found I wasn't able to hold my body weight on my left arm. I also find that any weight lifting I do using a bar is difficult. Not that it can't be done, but I find that I automatically overcompensate with my right arm. It also feels very odd when the bar is lower on my left side than it is my right. My way of over coming this is to use dumbbells. The same weight in each hand that way I am not over compensating.

I know there a many people out there working past injuries. I'm curious what yours are and what you do to work around it?

Replies

• DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on my leg and foot about three years ago now to try and repair an injury/pain issue. They ended up cutting the lower part of my calf muscle and reattaching it below the tendons in order to relieve tightness. It took a long time to rehab and I still don't have the full amount of strength in the leg. I find that I compensate some by slightly leaning on to my good leg but that's what leads to my hip problems.

For me it's a matter of working within my range and doing my best to pay attention to my gait and stance, etc. I still can't do heel lifts properly and such.

I've also injured my elbow and shoulder. For my elbow it's just been a matter of having to stop certain exercises and rebuild strength.

Modifications are your friend and it might be worth talking to one of the trainers at the Y and see if they have some tips for you. They should be good at knowing modifications that can help you.
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to recall some of the things you did in therapy, and modify them to use weight/resistance. This way you can try to build that range of motion a little at a time while adding strength. (I'm totally not a PT, but have been through a lot of it, and I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...)

Stretch, modify, ice, and stop when it hurts. Ibuprofen to calm swelling. Seek professional help. A lot of gyms have someone on site who can help you develop a game plan for free, or may have physical therapists on site to help (my old YMCA did).

Beyond all of that, just drink some wine. (Hand to mouth with 5 oz should help... right?)
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Beyond all of that, just drink some wine. (Hand to mouth with 5 oz should help... right?)

LOL I love the way you think :drinker:

This is a injury that occurred over 10 years ago, so it's not anything new. I have had trainers in the past who helped me modify what I could. I'm more curious about how others over came their injuries. Sometimes it gets frustrating working around them. Not that I wish injury on anyway, but just hearing how others have over come can be pretty motivating. Who knows, maybe there are others out there that could benefit from hearing about exercises others do to work around that injury.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options

it's basically a burn out set. each rep is slightly progressively lighter?
  • Lemmynade
    Lemmynade Posts: 160 Member
    Options

...pour another glass.
  • DrWhoodles
    DrWhoodles Posts: 145 Member
    Options

...pour another glass.

Drink from the bottle and it starts out with more resistance
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,623 Member
    Options
    Do dumbell or machine flies instead. This exercise keeps your elbows in a lightly flexed position throughout and works the pectorals.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Do dumbell or machine flies instead. This exercise keeps your elbows in a lightly flexed position throughout and works the pectorals.

I do these. I have already found ways to overcome my injury. I'm curious as to who else is working with an injury and how they have overcome it.