30 day Paleo challenge

Options
Hi everyone! So my trainer is having us try out Paleo for 30 days, and from most of the research I've done it seems pretty simple. I don't eat processed foods and eat plenty of fruit and veggies, the only real hard part is the dairy. I love yogurt and cheese so giving that up is going to be tough, but it's only for 30 days.

My question though, in the process of doing this challenge to lose weight and change a bit of my eating habits, I know for certain that I cannot do this long term. So is this really a good diet for a "quick fix". I don't want to ruin my results if I start to incorporate dairy and grains back into my diet. Also, I have read that if you eat paleo all week you are allowed to have a cheat day on Sunday where you can eat whatever you want. I know I can get on board with that! lol

In all seriousness, do you feel you've had good results with Paleo? Any tips or advice or even meal plans would be so much appreciated!

Replies

• Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Nonononononono.
  • cassanova792
    Options
    If it is not something you can do long term then don't do it. Just because you do Paleo does not automatically qualify you to lose weight - a caloric deficit on the other hand, does. I have nothing against Paleo because it is generally a healthy lifestyle to follow, but IMO not really a sustainable one because it restricts many foods that are perfectly fine to eat in moderation. If you're just doing this for the sake of losing weight, regardless if you're doing Paleo or not, you will still need to be at a caloric deficit to lose weight. Simply put, if you eat 1800 calories based on a Paleo diet vs. 1800 calories of a non Paleo diet, you will lose weight at the same rate, assuming that your maintenance (neither gain or lose weight) is above 1800 calories. The only difference is that there are no restrictions on what types of food you can eat with the non Paleo diet. Choices = Freedom/Sanity.
  • tern73
    tern73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Last fall I did a 2-month paleo challenge. I wasn't 100% strict; about 1 non-paleo meal per week. I did no tracking at all, I just ate whatever paleo approved items I wanted, in whatever quantities I wanted.

I lost 15 lbs over the course of the two months. I was decently overweight so I had plenty to lose. It felt pretty easy.

After the challenge, I stopped paleo and more or less went back to what I was doing. And predictably I started to put the weight back on. At the end of Feb. I had put 5 lbs. back.

At that point I decided enough of that, and started really tracking what I was eating. Currently I am eating everything in moderation, tracking my intake, maintaining a calorie deficit, and I have lost the 5lbs I had put back on, plus I've lost a few more (and counting) on top of that.

I wouldn't necessarily discourage you from trying paleo..I thought it was "fine" and plenty of people seem to thrive on it. But it's not the way I really want to roll and I'm happier doing what I'm doing now. I'm not a believer in quick fixes either. If you try it for 30 days, you will probably see results...but if you just go back to what you do now the results won't last.

If you already know it's a lifestyle you're not interested in, then I don't get why you'd try it in the first place I guess.
  • Tiff1124
    Tiff1124 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the advice! I do think eating this way most of the time, meat veggies, little carbs and dairy isn't a bad thing. 30 days doesn't seem like a long time, and I really only have about 20 lbs to lose, so I thought I would give this a try.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I appreciate the advice! I do think eating this way most of the time, meat veggies, little carbs and dairy isn't a bad thing. 30 days doesn't seem like a long time, and I really only have about 20 lbs to lose, so I thought I would give this a try.

There are many variations of diets that call themselves Paleo, but most are not simple. Your fish/eggs/meat is supposed to be pastured, grass fed, free range, organic and/or wild caught. Only certain types of fats are acceptable. Vegetables and fruits should be organic. No grains, no legumes (beans, pulses, some types of nuts), no dairy, no sugar. It's very expensive and limiting.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It could be a new experience for you, something to shake things up a bit. I'm not a Paleo fan myself since the bulk of my protein intake comes from beans and dairy - not a big fan of meat, once or twice a week is plenty.

From what I know about Paleo, in most systems you get to have 20% non-paleo foods. A weekend of yogurt and ice cream goodness! The 80% will restrict what you can eat, and since grains are rich in calories and protein suppresses hunger, you may end up eating less calories and losing weight.

Give it a shot, you might actually like it! But try not to fall into the "cult" trap, because then you will lose perspective.

I'm currently doing the eastern orthodox fast (basically raw vegan on some days and plain vegan on others) even though I'm not religious. I just wanted to support my mom, and to try something new. It's an interesting experience, and I'm learning more about my willpower, adaptability, problem solving and how much I love dairy.....
  • tern73
    tern73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options

Good luck. There are a lot of good recipe sites/blogs so you should have no trouble finding things to cook. Even though I didn't stick with it, I still found some great recipes that have become staples in our kitchen even after the fact.

And yes, it can be very expensive if you decide to go completely organic / free range / grass fed. Most people I know have to compromise where they are willing to spend the $ and where they are not.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Yes! I have been looking into the 80/20 where it's pretty much all of the aspects of the Paleo diet for most of the week, and then a couple meals I can add dairy and grains. I made it pretty known to him that I was upset with the challenge, since I had just gone grocery shopping last weekend and spent a buttload on food that I can't eat on this diet..lol. I think what he doesn't know won't hurt him, and although I will still stick with the plan for most days, I won't deprive myself of other things.

The willpower that most have on the Paleo diet is amazing to me though! I have to give kudos to those that really do stick with it for the long haul.
  • littlemamalisa1
    Options
    I don't necessarily think paleo will cause you to lose weight. I've been eating paleo for about two months. I'm eating more food than I ever have but that was my goal. I ate very little protein before and my trainer was bugging me to eat more lean red meat, chicken and fish. I have accomplished that but I think it's getting a little crazy now. Looking at going back to my old clean eating balanced ways. I miss beans and dairy products. Good luck -- if you are looking to lose weight just make sure you are reducing the caloric intake. Paleo stresses the no calorie count eating so be careful!
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I have never done Paleo, but I would advise in general against listening to your trainer about nutrition. At all. They are there to help you kick *kitten* in the gym, and they have no business directing your diet.

Question your trainer's credentials and motivations- are they a registered dietitian with a degree? is this just a diet they themselves prefer? Are they hoping you drop some water weight quick and tell your friends how awesome your trainer is?

Your diet = your business.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    I did consider that, ever since I started with him he is very focused on no carbs, no pb, no cheese unless feta or goat, and numerous other things that I just can't do. Oh, and I did the paleo for 2 weeks and HATED it. So I'm slowly incorporating grains and yogurt into my diet again.

It could be a selling point for him, I didn't realize that before.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're moving back towards a diet that works for you. I just saw this thread so I didn't get to comment the first go-round, but the diet you had before the paleo experiment sounded pretty damn good in terms of health and nutrition. I hope your trainer is somewhat knowledgeable about exercise, or at the very least pretty to look at, because his food and nutrition advice sucks.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Haha oh he is good in the exercise department, and looks, well I try not to focus on that and focus on my workouts :) I am a lot happier than I was a week ago, I am losing a bit slower since incorporating carbs, but you know what, I like what I am eating, and I'm still kicking *kitten* in the gym. Win win for me.
  • SuperShell0812
    Options
    I did consider that, ever since I started with him he is very focused on no carbs, no pb, no cheese unless feta or goat, and numerous other things that I just can't do. Oh, and I did the paleo for 2 weeks and HATED it. So I'm slowly incorporating grains and yogurt into my diet again.

It could be a selling point for him, I didn't realize that before.
    It's ironic. The times in my life I was the most lean and fit I didn't follow any particular diets or macros. I just ate what I wanted in proper portions. When I got carried away with following certain strict diets I wasn't so successful because I didn't find them sustainable and had binge issues. Eat however you want to eat and whatever way makes you feel best. For some people that means paleo but apparently not for you. There are no magic diets and quick fixes.
  • Tiff1124
    Options
    Oh I know. Even though I wish I could drop 20 lbs in a week I know it's not possible, or healthy. I just need to be patient, reset and refocus and all will fall into place. Fitting in my clothes again is more important than the number on the scale. Just this damn body fat needs to go away. It will be summer in MN eventually :p
  • SuperShell0812
    Options
    Oh I know. Even though I wish I could drop 20 lbs in a week I know it's not possible, or healthy. I just need to be patient, reset and refocus and all will fall into place. Fitting in my clothes again is more important than the number on the scale. Just this damn body fat needs to go away. It will be summer in MN eventually :p
    lol yeah whoever invents a pill or method that could make someone lose 20 pounds in a week would be crazy rich. Yep consistency is key :)
  • hotwheels02
    Options
    Your trainer sounds like crossfit or a variation of it where they give you a few diets to choose from and explore for 30 days. All of the choices seem to conclude having you pay more attention to what you are eating and its quality. They each have their own merit. I am an athlete and lift and do cardio on my own 5 days a week. I've gained a random 10lbs despite my 80% clean food life. My doctor and I have speculated insulin resistance. I'm not going to flood this with those facts - it's easy enough to google. But the paleo diet helps with restricting those sugars that cause an immense amount of insulin to hang out in the body which then stores a lot of glucose. It is not a quick weight loss method because like any food - you need a caloric deficit. I adore dairy cheese and milks however the market is flooded with very poor quality - even your top brands. As for meats - rather than supermarket organics - go to a local farm or farmers market. They are the middle ground in price and you support the local farms that need it. Our Whole Foods is great and bulk prices are reasonable as well.
    So just don't think of things as good or bad for you but maybe you need to set your body to zero. Your trainer won't have the background for that if they are not educated and have a degree. Trainers at any gym have no reason to have a degree in nutrition and those that do will be sure to boast the initials and degrees to prove it. Our plan is to add grains and dairy (albeit in low moderation compared to before) should this answer my problems.