Diabetes and Weight Loss

Options
I am having trouble dropping weight. Could this be because of the diabetes?

Replies

• TMLS
    TMLS Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Personally, and this is only through personal experience and NOT a medical opinion or based on any "facts", I'd have to say no. I was diagnosed with (Type 2) Diabetes at Christmas last year and have lost 99lbs since then. In the few months leading up to it when the diabetes kicked in undiagnosed I lost 30lbs regardless of the fact I was eating 3000 calories a day.

So I don't think so, but who knows - everyone's different. The best person to speak to is always your doctor.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I don't have full blown diabetes, but I have Insulin Resistance. Losing any amount of weight has been extremely challenging despite having changed my nutrition and doing hard core workouts (CrossFit).
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I've had full blown diabetes since i was 15 so i'd say, probably.

It depends on how well you clean you ate before, it's not like you can give up regular coke and sweets as you shouldn't be eating that stuff anyway.

Also it can restrict cardio activity due to drops that have to be treated with sugar.

But i'm loosing weight so it can be done

its all about control
  • Andre_Demers
    Options
    I am also diabetic 26 years now and the insuline is a problem. Here is part of an article I got.

The Hormone "Insulin" - Does it Prevent Fat Loss?

Insulin plays a major role in weight gain, and even keeps us from losing weight. Insulin is responsible for the storage of all the foods we eat: carbohydrates, proteins, and fats. However, high glycemic carbohydrates cause blood sugars to rise very rapidly, therefore causing the pancreas to release insulin very rapidly. In some people the body overcompensates and releases too much. The insulin will store these carbohydrates/sugars very quickly. The good side is you get a quick burst of energy; the bad side is most of what is eaten will be stored as fat. Since the blood sugars rose very rapidly, the insulin will try to bring the blood sugars within normal ranges very rapidly, causing the sugars to be pushed by the insulin into every cell, including fat cells. On the other hand, if you eat low-to-moderate glycemic carbohydrates, blood sugars rise more slowly; therefore so does insulin. When this happens more of what you ate is pushed into your body's cells to be used for energy, and whatever is left over will be stored in fat cells. Our weight loss programs will show you exactly how to control insulin and blood sugar levels so optimal weight loss results will be achieved.

What Else?

Insulin activates lipoprotein lipase. This enzyme acts as a roadblock for the removal of triglycerides (fat) out of the fat cells. Insulin also inhibits another enzyme called hormone sensitive lipase. This enzyme is responsible for the breaking down of stored fats, on your waist so to speak. During exercise if insulin levels are high, your body will use more energy from carbohydrates/sugars than from fat. Now you can see why most people see very little or no results in weight reduction, even though they exercise. The key is to control your insulin and blood sugars levels and our programs will show you how
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My mom has diabetes and for some reason she feels she can eat all the sugar free candy she can purchase. As a former PE/Health teacher I should be doing more to help her. When she was diagnosed she was actually losing weight and could not understand why. I am told that this is one of the warning signs, Anyway, good luck on your weight loss journey. I am going to go to my moms tomorrow and at least make her walk some. I hate watching people that I love begin to die because of bad eating habbits. Lets go save her:smooched:
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    Generally, I would say possibly.

Most people will loose weight, for no explainable reason, before being diagnosed because the body is not able to use the food put into it for energy. However, on a side note diabetes and hypothyroidism tend to travel together for a lot of people so it's worth asking your doctor about.
  • johnsscarlett
    johnsscarlett Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I too am a diabetic and have had the hardest time losing weight. I really think it comes down to the amount of sugar we take in. For me dieting and counting calories has not helped. I have been realizing that it is all about the sugar for me. I have been listening to Jorje Cruise on Utube and what he says about sugar consumption is very interesting. Though I have been doing South Beach for 3 weeks now I am really curbing the sugar. There are so many hidden sugars in our food. Anyway keep on going and don't give up.