Bread!!!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm wondering what your thoughts are on eating bread. My bad food cravings are basically any baked goods. Breads, muffins, cakes, cookies... I've been really good at cutting out all that, except bread. I just love sandwiches and pretty much eat a sandwich a day. Is it still possible to lose weight, while eating bread so long as you're within the alloted calories? I know you are what you eat and I'm definitely "fluffy".. but I just can't help not eating bread. When is it best to eat the bread, before or after workout? Breakfast, lunch, dinner? HELP!

Replies

• ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Of course you can lose weight and still have bread! Remember that what you should aim for is a sustainable lifestyle change, not a crash diet. I can't possibly imagine living my entire life without bread! Fit it into your daily calorie goals, eat it and enjoy it!
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    ZvtHJ.gif
    jk!

Bread will not make you fat unless you eat too much of it.
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Eat the bread! Eat it at whatever time you want!
    Just don't eat too much :)
  • foggymirrors
    foggymirrors Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, eat it! Deprivation, as a couple others have stated, is unhealthy. Unless you've been diagnosed with celiac disease or gluten intolerance, enjoy the grain/wheat based carbs. Moderation is key, not restriction. Happy nomming! :happy:
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    When you eat makes no difference to weight loss. Join the club on bread, it haunts most of us. My strategy is to go low on starches as much as I can (rice, potatoes, bread, pasta, etc), it just has too many calories--I go for high fiber, high volume stuff like broccoli to help fill me up. Protein also is a key, it sticks to your ribs and will help you combat cravings for donuts, etc. I do eat sandwiches, I buy 100% whole wheat and look for calorie counts at 100 or less per slice. You should be able to make a good turkey sandwich for under 400 calories. Corn tortillas are very low cal but not very satisfying.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I still eat all of the things you listed. There's nothing wrong with any of it, you just have to exercise moderation.

For bread, there's some lower calorie breads out on the market these days.

My personal favorite is Arnold's Nature's Harvest Light Multigrain bread. 40 calories a slice. Makes good sandwiches, saves you on the calories so you can fill that sucker up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i eat bread, carbs, etc and have no problems maintaining, losing, etc..

I get about 30% of my calories from carbs, and maintain 12% body fat….

calorie deficit, not food type, is what leads to weight loss.

So eat the bread, stay in a deficit, and keep losing…
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'd die without bread.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    The reason people have gotten in their heads that carbohydrates, especially processed or simple carbohydrates, are "bad" for diets is simply that for the amount of calories they are they aren't very filling or satisfying.

If you doubt this eat 500 calories of white bread and see how you feel. Then attempt to eat 500 calories of tuna (about a pound and a half). Big difference.

The reason why processed or simple carbohydrates are "worse" is because they are digested rapidly, give you a quick peak of blood sugar but then in a few hours they are completely spent and you are hungry again where complex carbs like brown rice are slower to digest and therefore give you a constant influx of sugar for hours and hours.

Bottom line though its still calories in calories out at the end of the day. You might just find that hitting your calorie goals is easier if you avoid certain foods.
  • GlitterrMagpie
    GlitterrMagpie Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I haven't given up bread, or any food for that matter. Portion control is key, as long as you have a calorie defecit you will lose weight.
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Eat it !!! Bread is not the enemy
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Is it still possible to lose weight, while eating bread so long as you're within the alloted calories?

Yes, of course.
  • smruggles
    smruggles Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'd die without bread.

THIS!!

I couldn't cut bread out entirely if I tried. I also have a weakness for donuts. I just know that if I eat them, I'll have to skimp on something else.
  • amaexo
    amaexo Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I was just looking for reassurance so I didn't feel so guilty afterwards :)
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't eat it at every meal (would be too much sodium!) but definitely have your sandwich! If you are worried though, try finding a healthy bread option, such as Ezekiel breads.
  • The_1_Who_Knocks
    The_1_Who_Knocks Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I've mostly cut out bread because eating it makes me crave more bread. I'll eat it maybe once every week to two weeks. That's enough for me...it's not a necessity.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I was just looking for reassurance so I didn't feel so guilty afterwards :)

You are going to not want to develop associations of guilt with eating if you can help it. Aim for your goal, find out what works for you but no food is evil or out to get you...some will work for you, some won't. Food isn't the enemy.

Personally I do actually avoid bread but simply because in trying to restrict my calories to lose a little fat I found it was much easier to hit my goals avoiding processed carbohydrates. That doesn't mean I view bread as being "bad" I just recognize its not the way to go for me and I don't find myself craving it so I can go without. That's different for everyone.