Saving too many calories for dinner?

Options
2»

Replies

• Luciu5
    Luciu5 Posts: 15
    Options
    If you read through the whole thread then you probably know your answer now, just by reading what works for different people. Likeothers said, do whatever works for YOU. If eating that way keeps you in your calorie goal, then that's the best way for you. If you find this causes you to binge or eat over goal, then adjust to what works better.

That's the thing with losing weight by counting calories. There is ONE rule. Be in a caloric deficit. Meal timing doesn't matter. Carbs vs fat doesn't matter. Eat 6 meals, 3 meals, or 1 ginormous meal, none of that matters if your only goal is weightloss.
  • jlynnm70
    jlynnm70 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I too spread mine thin early in the day (egg whites on a piece of toast with some veggies and cheese) Lunch is usually a few slices of deli meat (chicken or turkey) and an ounce of cheese. However I still have cream and sugar in my coffee - and I sometimes eat a small snack in the afternoon (right now there is this stupid bag of M&M's that we got with an order of toner and it keeps calling my name - so I've been weighing them out an ounce at a time)

That being said - I still have the bulk of calories for when I get home. I have a husband that does NOT need to lose weight (could gain a few even), Kids, and I like my glass (or two) of wine.

By eating a little something throughout the day......I keep from getting starving and wanting to eat the whole house......but I still get to enjoy whatever the family wants for dinner (within reason) and have a glass of wine or a sweet treat.

This is a lifestyle change - you have to do what you can continue to live with -and if you give up everything - well - you won't stick with it!
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I do the same, I can't get quite 1500 as my total for the day is only 1700 but I do try very hard to have at least 800 for dinner. Hasn't stopped my progress either. I'm a late snacker so this keeps me under my calories for the day and still allows me to budget for the occasional surprise dinner out or desert or just munching on something while I watch tv. Do what works for you ;)
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    After much experimentation, leaving a bit over half of my calories for the evening meal, and a snack later, works best for me. Pretty much any combo that works for you, that makes you compliant to the calorie deficit will work.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what others have said. If you find that smaller breakfast (if you eat it) and lunch and saving your calories for the evening doesn't make you want to eat everything, then go for it. I save about half my calories for the evening, after eating 25% at breakfast and 25% at lunch.