New here

End6ame
End6ame Posts: 903
edited September 21 in Introduce Yourself
Well, as the title states I am new here. Just started hitting the gym again after a six month hiatus and shoulder injury. I really like this tool over Lose-it and Daily burn except for the exercise portion. Apparently with this tool, the only thing that burns calories is cardio, not the 5x5 set of 205lb squats that I did today. Are there any plans to get that fixed?

Replies

• agtony65
    agtony65 Posts: 5 Member
    I hear ya, the strength training needs to be updated.
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    lol! I can relate to what you're saying about the weight calories burned... Personally - I think I work harder lifting weights than cardio (the puddle just follows me around the gym!). But it doesn't show on the calorie counter here. I thought about getting a body bug to know how much I'm burning doing weights - but decided that i'll go with MFP and all the extra calories burned that I haven't counted are like an added bonus!

Welcome!
  • ebean
    ebean Posts: 12
    Hi there, and welcome!

There's -all- kinds of exercise listed in the database, you might just need to search smarter.

Try searching under "Strength Training" instead of "Cardiovascular". It's right beneath it, just look down the page a little, after you click on the "Exercise" tab.

If you type in "Squats" it gives you several types of squat to choose from, you can enter your reps, weights, etc.

In addition, if you can't find the exercise you were looking for, or it's not adding your calories in, you can go right ahead and "fix" that, yourself.

Once you've searched and seen the results (if any) there's text below the results box which reads:

"Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database".

And you can go right ahead and do a custom one for yourself. :)

Good luck!
  • adplus7
    adplus7 Posts: 11
    Strength training is difficult to calculate. You will burn more calories if you take shorter breaks between sets. I don't think this site could calculate the calories for weight lifting. But if you keep track of how many minutes you work out, you can probably use the same calories as a cardio machine, such as the stair master.
  • End6ame
    Hi there, and welcome!

There's -all- kinds of exercise listed in the database, you might just need to search smarter.

Try searching under "Strength Training" instead of "Cardiovascular". It's right beneath it, just look down the page a little, after you click on the "Exercise" tab.

If you type in "Squats" it gives you several types of squat to choose from, you can enter your reps, weights, etc.

In addition, if you can't find the exercise you were looking for, or it's not adding your calories in, you can go right ahead and "fix" that, yourself.

Once you've searched and seen the results (if any) there's text below the results box which reads:

"Can't find what you're looking for? Add an exercise to the database".

And you can go right ahead and do a custom one for yourself. :)

Good luck!

I am aware that squats would not be listed under cardio. I entered it under strength training.
  • End6ame
    Ok, so the solution is to log "strength training" under cardiovascular and input the duration. I guess the strength training section is just to track your progress.

Guess I should have looked harder.
This discussion has been closed.