1 month Plateau! So frustrated

Options
13»

Replies

• whoknowsame
    Options
    What is your actual goal, OP? Are you striving for a certain "look" or a number on the scale?

I ask, because at your current weight, if you just want to "look" a certain way, losing more weight might not be necessary.

ETA: Eyeballing is not logging meticulously, btw. That's guessing.

Sorry my mistake, geez
  • whoknowsame
    Options
    Oh FFS, she is probably plateaued because she is eating more than she thinks due to eyeballing her food, NOT because she's in starvation mode or causing metabolic damage.

I'm not that much of a moron that I don't know what amounts of food look like, thank you very much. No need to be rude
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Oh FFS, she is probably plateaued because she is eating more than she thinks due to eyeballing her food, NOT because she's in starvation mode or causing metabolic damage.

I'm not that much of a moron that I don't know what amounts of food look like, thank you very much. No need to be rude

My annoyance was more towards how frivolously people throw around terms like metabolic damage or how easily they think someone can be damaging their metabolism. Also, how they think that eating more would cause a person to lose weight, most of the time the plateau is due to an error in logging.
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    What is your actual goal, OP? Are you striving for a certain "look" or a number on the scale?

I ask, because at your current weight, if you just want to "look" a certain way, losing more weight might not be necessary.

ETA: Eyeballing is not logging meticulously, btw. That's guessing.

Sorry my mistake, geez

And thank you for ignoring the questions that were asked to give you more pointed advice. Instead you were insulted by my one criticism and immediately defensive.
  • MB2MN
    MB2MN Posts: 334 Member
    Options

How was that in any way rude? You're being rude by just calling people morons who don't know how to accurately eyeball food...which is pretty much everyone. Weight loss is basic math...I'm sorry but you're NOT eating 1000 calories a day if you're not losing. You aren't as good at guessing as you think you are...no shame in it but you're not going to see changes until you accept this and change your attitude.
  • outofworkpediatrician
    Options
    i am in similar boat like yours. i am 5' 4", exercises daily, burns over 1000 calories, my calorie intake is between 1200 and 1400 daily. that means i am on a calorie deficit, still for the last one month i am stuck between 132 and 134 lb. i think i know the reason. when i started my weight loss journey in january, i was eating lean cuisine and healthy choice ready meals, so my food logging was accurate. but in the last month, i am eating home cooked indian food, many of which is difficult to estimate calories, even when i weigh food. so i guess i am under estimating my calorie intake, but staying within my tdee, hence maintaining my weight.
    in your case, you are probably eating much more calories than you think, if you eat at a deficit, you WILL lose weight. so like every one else said, use a food scale, because cup measure or simple eyeballing will mislead you. Also, i would say your calorie goal is too low to be healthy, at that low intake, you will lose weight, but you will lose muscle and fat. a 1200 calorie goal and some excersise, you will start to loose weight in no time.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

My annoyance was more towards how frivolously people throw around terms like metabolic damage or how easily they think someone can be damaging their metabolism. Also, how they think that eating more would cause a person to lose weight, most of the time the plateau is due to an error in logging.

Seriously this. The op is not starving. She's only been at it for two months and hasn't even lost any weight yet. Suggesting she eat more is pretty absurd IMO. Just cuz the diary says it doesn't mean it's true.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    If you have PCOS, do you have insulin resistance? If you have IR, are you taking anything to help with that (like metformin)? Having PCOS and IR can greatly change the assumptions of the energy equation, so it doesn't apply in the same way to people with such issues...and that could be at the heart of this.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Nobody is being rude or insulting.

1. Do you weigh and measure your food ?

-> NO - then fix this first because the exact number of calories you eat is very important to know. Guessing isn't good enough if you really want to lose weight.

->YES - then there is something else going on, perhaps the amount of calories you are eating, perhaps hormonal or other health issues. Difficult for people on the internet who do not know to narrow down for you, hence suggestion to see a nutritionist or dietician and your doctor.
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Nobody is being rude or insulting.

1. Do you weigh and measure your food ?

-> NO - then fix this first because the exact number of calories you eat is very important to know. Guessing isn't good enough if you really want to lose weight.

->YES - then there is something else going on, perhaps the amount of calories you are eating, perhaps hormonal or other health issues. Difficult for people on the internet who do not know to narrow down for you, hence suggestion to see a nutritionist or dietician and your doctor.

OP --- I started weighing my food in the beginning because I was stuck. It really did help and it also helped my ability to "eyeball" better. I don't weigh everything now, but weighing for a month really helped. If I wasn't losing still, I'd go back to weighing everything.

Just a little advice from someone who thought she was doing pretty good too.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Like you, I was on a plateau that lasted for over 1 month. I dropped my calories to 500-600 a day and added 2 miles to my walk. I walk almost everyday and my weight has started to go down. My doctor approves of what I did.

What? 500-600 calories TOTAL?

Your doctor is a moron, if that's the case. 500 is less than 33% of what I need for my vital organs to function and me to stay alive.

I was scratching my head when reading her post...