C25K Help!

Options
2»

Replies

• lawlorka
    lawlorka Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else - you need to slow down. I did the C25K before Christmas, and did my first 5k Race last weekend. I slowed down as and when I needed to which meant I didn't have to walk any of it.

There is no difference between running and jogging.... they are just terms. I always say I'm going for a run, even though I have yet to go faster than a 10min mile - its fast for me, so its running. Most runners will tell you this. So, with all due respect to your hubbie, he's wrong. Yes a lot of people out running are going faster than me, but I'm going faster than other people. Where exactly is the official line drawn when you say you are going from a jog to a run!

The key to the C25K is to trust the programme, and follow it through. You can't rush things, or you will frustrate yourself and give up, or injure yourself. Repeat weeks if needed, but realise, that if you are struggling, then you need to slow down. There is no shame in it. I'd rather slow down than give up.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    My husband told me that there is a definite difference in running and jogging, so shuffling along makes me feel like it's a moot point. :/

No, there isn't

For some people "running" means that you have to sprint the entire way....I don't think like that.

I like to run, that means to me, at my current level of fitness running at a 9:00 pace very comfortably. To some people that's incredibly slow and I'm "jogging".....whatever.

Shuffle along, as long as you are going through the motions of running, even if it feels like you could walk faster, then you'll improve.
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I seen a post on FB the other day that made me laugh

I RUN,

I may be slower than a herd of tortoises stampeding through peanut butter

but I still RUN

Running is a physical act that can be differentiated from Walking (walking being 1 weight bearing foot on the ground whilst the other is in the air, running is where both feet are in the air (for a very short period of time).
    I do remember someone answering that the difference is 8min miles (because that's what a Garmin product tech put in the software as the difference between running and jogging, now given that the majority of us (discounting the elite runners) will complete a marathon is over 3.5hrs then we're all joggers by this standard)!!

It's up to you what you call it, if you feel that by calling it jogging devalues what you are doing then you are running, if like me you don't really care then call it jogging (although I would have to admit I refer to it as my long run and not my long jog).

Keep going, if the mind is strong the body will follow.

I find breathing on an odd number of steps helps me, i.e. when I breath out I cover 5 strides not 4 or 6, it takes a bit of focus that you might not have just now (I do remember the not being able to breath stage, now I only get that when I'm practicing tabatta intervals)!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I ran slower today, as per suggestions, and completed the workout! I feel incredible right now!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    run as slow as you need to to finish it.
  • Supadoopafly
    Supadoopafly Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I ran slower today, as per suggestions, and completed the workout! I feel incredible right now!

makes sense now?

well done!