C25K every day?

I want to start Couch to 5k but only 3 days a week seems crazy to me...would there be anything wrong with doing it 6 days a week and getting through the program in a month?

Replies

• ebonaskavi
    ebonaskavi Posts: 42 Member
    I don't think there would be necessarily anything wrong, but it may be good to switch up your workouts on the off days. Do some strength training or a different type of cardio.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Other than setting yourself up for an injury? No problem at all....

Seriously though, running is an activity that requires significant physiological adaptation (bone density, ligament strength, mitochondrial density, aerobic capacity etc etc) and these take time, especially for someone who may have been fairly inactive and is new to running.

Taking a day off (from running, not necessarily other types of activity) between running days allows your body to recover. Most running injuries are the direct result of our own enthusiasm........if half an hour is good an hour must be twice as good kind of thinking (something every experienced runner has done.....).

Work the plan, if your fitness allows you may progress slightly more quickly but I'd suggest cross training (bike, row, swim, lift weights etc) on non-running days. Staying injury free makes the journey far more enjoyable.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    yes stay injury free. your body needs time to recover from the high impact of running. I take three days off myself. I'm going to move it to two days off or maybe one, but you need recovery time.
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Other than setting yourself up for an injury? No problem at all....

Seriously though, running is an activity that requires significant physiological adaptation (bone density, ligament strength, mitochondrial density, aerobic capacity etc etc) and these take time, especially for someone who may have been fairly inactive and is new to running.

Taking a day off (from running, not necessarily other types of activity) between running days allows your body to recover. Most running injuries are the direct result of our own enthusiasm........if half an hour is good an hour must be twice as good kind of thinking (something every experienced runner has done.....).

Work the plan, if your fitness allows you may progress slightly more quickly but I'd suggest cross training (bike, row, swim, lift weights etc) on non-running days. Staying injury free makes the journey far more enjoyable.

This is a great way to describe my first year of running. My aerobic capacity outstripped my physiological ability and I over trained. This led to two over use injuries and a couple of months off. I am now sticking to what my training plan states, even if I feel I can do more. I am back up to 9 mile long runs and, this time, no twinges of knee pain.