What's for Dinner, Mom?

aprilgicker
aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Thought I would share how I plan dinners. This plan makes cooking for my family of 6 easy. I see this being an issue for lots of folks here having to cook 2 meals. That is a bunch of Bull stuff. If your family respects your time they will eat it. You have cooked their way and look at what it has gotten you. Nothing but a size 18 tush, with a Wal-mart style to boot. You are better than that. Take charge of your dinner. After all somehow it became your job, be the boss and do it the right way!:grumble:

The trick is to only cook what is on the menu. And to only choose from the day’s options for the menu. I will add stuffing or bread for others not on a “lifestyle change” but unless I have a sufficient calorie deficiency I won’t eat it.
Tips: Watch Your Portions, it saves money! Everything is fresh or frozen nothing canned, except beans. I have not added them we don’t eat them. You can move the days around to fit your schedule or add other veggies. Have a leftover day. On grill day cook more than one day’s worth of meat, especially chicken breast.
- If you are like most of us, your calories are at 1200 before exercise, 1450 after exercise. You should burn 500cal in your workout to lose weight with this family friendly Menu-
- I fix my kids plate, they get some of everything, if I know they don’t like it I still put it on their plate. I do not promise dessert for eating it. If they are hungry they will eat it. If not, it goes back into the pot for leftover day, unless they destroyed it, then it is their snack after school. It take a few weeks but they fall right in.-

Monday: Sandwich Day *Arnold’s bread is the best for price and quality
__Hot Sandwich __Apples
__Cold Sandwich __Orange

Tuesday: Pasta or Rice Day / Salad *use wholegrain pasta
__ Spaghetti
__ Chik-a-Roni
__ Hamburger helper
__Chicken and yellow rice

Wednesday: Grill’n Day, aka. “Man cooks day”
__ Chicken Breast __ Corn on the cob
__Skinless Thighs __ Summer Squash
__Burgers made w/ turkey and beef __ Zucchini
__ Pork Loin __ Asparagus
__ Turkey Sausages
__Ribs (once a month, every 2 months)
__Steaks (once a month, every 2 months)

Thursday: Leftover day- other grilled meat day
__Leftovers __ Green beans
__2nd Meat __ Peas Snow or Sugar

Friday: Seafood Day
__Fish __ Salad
__Shrimp __ Sliced tomatoes
__Oysters __ Sliced cucumbers
__Clams __ Carrots
__Crab __ Okra

Saturday and Sunday: Roast Day / Salad
__ Pork __ Broccoli
__Chicken __ Cauliflower
__Ham __Eggplant
__Turkey

Lunch

Ramen Noodles with sauteed veggies.
Egg white omelet / fresh spinach
small grilled chicken salad/ iceberg lettuce
tuna salad sandwiches/ soy dressing instead of mayo
peanut butter and banana sandwich/ Arnold’s protein bread
BLT on wheat/ turkey bacon
chicken salad sandwiches
sliced fruit/ cottage cheese

Snacks *Watch your sugars/ No junk! Make a special trip if you crave it really bad. It will make you think about if it is worth it.

Protein Bars/ light versions- Granola for kids
yogurt/ low sugar
small apple
dates
grapes
2% milk/or less- whole for children 7 and younger.
Peanuts- older kids and adults only
sunflower seeds-older kids and adults only
pumpkin seeds- older kids and adults only
craisins/raisins
citrus fruit
string cheese- kids only
hard boiled egg/deviled egg
pickles
Crackers- kids only

Replies

• crystalroy
    crystalroy Posts: 84 Member
    cool
  • ChubbieTubbie
    ChubbieTubbie Posts: 481 Member
    I wish I could get things organized like you! We have 5 kids and the youngest two (1.5 and 2.5) are always starving by 5-5:30 pm, just around the time where it's time to bring the older three to after-school activities 4 days a week! Therefore, we feed them early and then we all eat when after-school activities end and we get home around 8 pm. We plan out all of our meals though, and *usually* stick pretty close to what is planned--planning is a must with a household with more than 1 or 2 kids!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    I wish I could get things organized like you! We have 5 kids and the youngest two (1.5 and 2.5) are always starving by 5-5:30 pm, just around the time where it's time to bring the older three to after-school activities 4 days a week! Therefore, we feed them early and then we all eat when after-school activities end and we get home around 8 pm. We plan out all of our meals though, and *usually* stick pretty close to what is planned--planning is a must with a household with more than 1 or 2 kids!

Snack time! :) I have a 4 year old and if dinner is going to be later I always give him the option to snack on something healthy (sliced apples, oranges or other fruit or cut up veggies we have on hand, ants on a log -- celery, peanut butter, raisins) or sometimes if we are home I'll give him the option of eating a salad (he loves salad!) while I am finishing up the rest of dinner. If he gets too tired he doesn't eat anyway... so I'd rather him have something healthy before the adults eat than not eat at all. He is the one in the family who probably needs to *gain* weight. :) 8:00 is SO late to be eating anyway... especially for the little ones! (I am not saying that to criticize because I don't know the solution! I am not sure how I'll get everything done and everyone fed once I have kids in school!)

To the OP... good layout! I love finding new recipes too much to stick to the same thing every month... but we do typically have a mexican night (taco salad or fajitas), pasta night, grilled meat and veggies night too. We only have 3 in our family so we usually have at least one leftovers night as well. Right now we are also doing soup at least once a week since it is cooker outside. That is great because it is so easy to do in a crockpot!
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    WOW great organization!!
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member

Snack time! :) I have a 4 year old and if dinner is going to be later I always give him the option to snack on something healthy (sliced apples, oranges or other fruit or cut up veggies we have on hand, ants on a log -- celery, peanut butter, raisins) or sometimes if we are home I'll give him the option of eating a salad (he loves salad!) while I am finishing up the rest of dinner. If he gets too tired he doesn't eat anyway... so I'd rather him have something healthy before the adults eat than not eat at all. He is the one in the family who probably needs to *gain* weight. :) 8:00 is SO late to be eating anyway... especially for the little ones! (I am not saying that to criticize because I don't know the solution! I am not sure how I'll get everything done and everyone fed once I have kids in school!)

To the OP... good layout! I love finding new recipes too much to stick to the same thing every month... but we do typically have a mexican night (taco salad or fajitas), pasta night, grilled meat and veggies night too. We only have 3 in our family so we usually have at least one leftovers night as well. Right now we are also doing soup at least once a week since it is cooker outside. That is great because it is so easy to do in a crockpot!

O lucky u!! My son HATES salad.. He says "mom I dont like lettuce".. Sometimes I sneak it in things without him seeing it hehe.. O ya hes only 3!! He likes to state his opinion in EVERYTHING LOL..
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    This is great, with 3 active boys and all of the running with them dinner is not always top of mind. I'm going to save this and try it out.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Monday: Sandwich Day *Arnold’s bread is the best for price and quality
    __Hot Sandwich __Apples
    __Cold Sandwich __Orange

Tuesday: Pasta or Rice Day / Salad *use wholegrain pasta
    __ Spaghetti
    __ Chik-a-Roni
    __ Hamburger helper
    __Chicken and yellow rice

Wednesday: Grill’n Day, aka. “Man cooks day”
    __ Chicken Breast __ Corn on the cob
    __Skinless Thighs __ Summer Squash
    __Burgers made w/ turkey and beef __ Zucchini
    __ Pork Loin __ Asparagus
    __ Turkey Sausages
    __Ribs (once a month, every 2 months)
    __Steaks (once a month, every 2 months)

Thursday: Leftover day- other grilled meat day
    __Leftovers __ Green beans
    __2nd Meat __ Peas Snow or Sugar

Friday: Seafood Day
    __Fish __ Salad
    __Shrimp __ Sliced tomatoes
    __Oysters __ Sliced cucumbers
    __Clams __ Carrots
    __Crab __ Okra

Saturday and Sunday: Roast Day / Salad
    __ Pork __ Broccoli
    __Chicken __ Cauliflower
    __Ham __Eggplant
    __Turkey

i love how you laid out which veggie went with which meal. smart thinking! i plan my menus each week and the sides are one of the most difficult things to come up with. i find myself thinking 'didn't we just have this?' or 'how long has it been since we ate spagetti squash?'

one thing i did when my kids were littler is give them their veggie sides first, especially if the main wasn't done and they were hungry. my thought was, i'd rather have my kids 'fill up' on broccoli and zucchini and white beans, then chicken or fruit or yogurt (none of these things are bad for you, but i prioritized the importance of the nutrients). if they are hungry, they will eat anything, even 'yucky' veggies. :) after the veggies, came the fruit or yogurt and then the main. if they couldn't finish the main, i was fine with that. my kids LOVE veggies now and eat those first (even with a plate full of other, sweeter, food).
    dawn
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    That is an excellent idea. I will try it the next time we are waiting. (Previous reply)

The beauty to this plan is there is never the same thing twice for 4 weeks. I allow for eating out and just not wanting to cook. These things take planning. It works. My husband and I really like how smoothly it works.:smooched:
This discussion has been closed.