Finally found a yummy and healthy granola bar recipe

Options
VanessaC
VanessaC Posts: 126 Member
I have been looking for and testing homemade granola bar recipes for months now. I finally found one that is truly healthy and the kids and I both love them. They stay together well too. I did add 1/4 cup of mini chocolate chips, not as healthy but 1/4 cup devided into 16 can't hurt too much either. I also found that the sunflower seeds make it a little bit bitter so I might substitue some more nuts or just leave them out.

Healthy Granola Bar Recipes #2
Fruit, Nutty, Whole Grain Bars
This recipe makes delicious chewy, crunchy healthy granola bars full of oats, dried fruit, and whole grains, lightly sweetened with the natural goodness of maple syrup instead of sugar.

Try them once and we think you will want to make them again and again. These healthy granola bars are just that good. You'll need a food processor to make these quick and easy granola bars.

1 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup shelled sunflower seeds
1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup dried apricots
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup dried pitted dates
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/3 cup pure maple syrup
2 large eggs
1.Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
2.Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
3.Place oats, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, flour, fruit, almonds, dry milk, and cinnamon in a food processor and pulse until everything is chopped and well blended.
4.Add maple syrup and eggs and pulse until everything is well blended.
5.Spread the thick batter evenly into the prepared pan and bake until lightly browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
6.Allow to cool and a wire rack on the counter for 10 to 15 minutes.
7.Cut bars into desired size and shape.
Once they are completely cool, you can store these fruity, nutty, chewy, healthy granola bars in an airtight container for up to 3 days

This healthy granola bars recipe adapted from The Food You Crave: Luscious Recipes for a Healthy Life by Ellie Krieger.

I entered the ingredients to Calorie Count (http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php). This includes the added chocolate chips and is for 16 bars.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 48 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 139Calories from Fat 40
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 4.4g7%
Saturated Fat 1.1g5%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Cholesterol 28mg9%
Sodium 32mg1%
Total Carbohydrates 20.8g7%
Dietary Fiber 2.4g10%