Avocado

Options
lshand28
lshand28 Posts: 45 Member
:bigsmile: Any good recipes for avocado ?

Replies

• spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Not really a recipe, but I like it with a little salt and cayenne pepper and spread on crunchy toast.
  • merisaOct3
    merisaOct3 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Guacamole - mash the avocado with salt and lime juice, add ground cumin, diced onion, chili powder, garlic powder, etc....

Or just dice it and put it on any salad or any dish with cumin in it. :)
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I LOVE it just diced and sprinkled with a little salt/pepper and lime juice. Nom. Nom. Nom.
  • lshand28
    lshand28 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys !! :happy:
  • scrague
    scrague Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    avocado and banana smoothie
    053069 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    i love avocado. sliced, olive oil , lemon juice and salt on top. with all of these being said, i do not eat it too often, lots of calories, but it is damn good.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    This may sound like a crazy combination but I mash an avocado with a can of drained tuna. Add a little pepper and cayenne or salt to taste. Eat it with pita chips or on light bread. It is yummy, high in protein and very filling.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Cut it in half and crack an egg into it. Top with salt, pepper and cheese (if you want) and bake in a 425 F oven for about 15 mins. If you don't like runny eggs, cook for a bit longer.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    cut. remove seed. get a spoon. and dig in. MMM. ill frickin eat avocado every single way possible. i love it.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe...but I love avocado in many ways!! I can't believe I used to ONLY use it for making guacamole. I hardly even think of doing that now but I have avocado in my house at all times!

In a grilled cheese or egg sandwich (small amount of cheese, very yummy with or without onions). I like to really smash the avocado while the sandwich is cooking

Chopped up on top of any Mexican entrée

Sliced or chopped on a salad

Or, getting a little more adventurous...

In a wrap, sliced, along with black beans, hummus, edamame, shredded carrots & baby spinach

In a sushi salad bowl...layer sushi rice (I use Alton Brown's recipe found online), chopped avocado, thinly sliced/chopped cucumber, shredded sheets of nori, and salmon or crab on top even better with a 1/2 T. of dressing made from soy sauce, honey & sesame seeds)
  • Shell_1384
    Shell_1384 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Mash up avocado on a whole wheat pita. Yum :smile:
  • slk_5555
    slk_5555 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    cut. remove seed. get a spoon. and dig in. MMM. ill frickin eat avocado every single way possible. i love it.

Agree with this. Don't mash it, mix it or bake it. Just lovely on its own. It's also heavenly with warm bacon & mayo in a bun......but that's the not so healthy option.....not on the menu for me right now:-(
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like it plain.:happy:
    Or with grilled chicken
    bacon
    tomato
    on a salad
    or bun.

With fried eggs and a sweet potato in the morning is also good!

If you want something decadent, look up chocolate avocado mousse. That's awesome too!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I cook 1 cup barley and mix with 1 chopped avocado and 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives. Mix with a lemon / olive oil vinaigrette and you have a tasty salad!
  • ebonaskavi
    ebonaskavi Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Avocado and sweet potato are a weirdly awesome pair. I like to boil a sweet potato in chicken stock. Drain (leaving a little liquid) and mash. Stir in a little bit of chili powder and cumin to taste. Serve with some drained and rinsed black beans and some sliced avocado.

You can use vegetable stock or well salted water if you wanted to make it vegan. Or you can bake the sweet potato and just top it with beans and guacamole and sprinkle a little bit of spice on. Super tasty and really filling.
  • brenannn
    brenannn Posts: 19
    Options
    When I want something sweet, I blend 1/2 an avacado with a couple shakes of cocoa powder, a cup or so of almond milk and a spoonful of peanut butter.
    It sooo creamy.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    blended up with some cocoa powder, vanilla, soy milk,sugar/agave nectar into a mousse and then put in the freezer for a little bit mmmmmmmmm

I love it on a toasted sandwich with tomato , romaine ,mushrooms and vegenaise
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Diced avocado and tomato with balsamic vinegar makes an excellent salad.
  • fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    Options
    Avocado is good with practically everything.

I will cut in half & put an egg in where the seed was & bake it.
    I spread it on toast and eat it with an egg.
    I dice it & eat it with cottage cheese.
    I eat it alone w/ a little pepper.
    I put slices on my burgers, chicken, etc.

One of my favorites though is to make chicken salad with it. I dice up some cooked seasoned chicken & mash it all together with about half of an avocado instead of mayo. There are many recipes for this online. Other people add all kinds of stuff, but sometimes I add onion & celery.
  • fitbrit19
    fitbrit19 Posts: 55
    Options
    Oh something I have learned that made a world of difference to me …

If I don't use the whole avocado I keep the seed and nestle it back in place & put the avocado in a ziplock bag & refrigerate it. Gives me like 36 hours to use it.