Banks!

Options
I think you should look into personal training I think you'd like it! Your a nice guy and always giving great advice! Doooo Itttt!!!!! :happy:

Replies

• greekgyrl02
    greekgyrl02 Posts: 123
    Options
    I think you should look into personal training I think you'd like it! Your a nice guy and always giving great advice! Doooo Itttt!!!!! :happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    LOL, thanks gg!
    I would love too but I think my wife would divorce me. She has always been the gym nut and if I ursurped that from her, I KNOW she would harbor resentment because she has always wanted to be a trainer. Plus, I'm pretty high up the corporate ladder right now, if I left, I would be sacrificing a LOT of money (I know what rookie trainers make, it's good, but not Sr. Network Engineer good). And as much as I'd like to say money doesn't matter to me, well....to a degree, it does (I'm embarassed to say, but ...).

but it means a lot to me that you would say that!

hey, while I have you, can you comment on this topic, I don't feel all that comfortable with giving advice for weight training, I'm really kind of new at it still, but people have been asking. I would really appreciate it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/12348-switching-it-up
  • greekgyrl02
    Options
    Sure! Well if you ever get the time or even as a hobby youd do good my friend! I can help you out I think its good your switching your routine up but let me tweek it a little and you tell me what you think. Here we go;

My routine will be
    Monday - core (abs, obliques, and glutes) {Monday I would do Legs..heavy leg day and end with a little 3 round ab circuit. abs dont need a full day alone}
    tuesday - {Chest and back, end with a one or two ab routines}
    wednesday-REST
    thursday - {Tris, (external rotation ---->shoulders, biceps, forearms, again some abs}
    friday - {Hit one exercise every muscle group but you should be pretty sore if your hitting the gym heavy on the other days and not want to so this is the day I would just go in and do abs and cardio}
    saturday - running (5 miles a little slower pace) {This is fine for a nice sat workout} even if you wanted to rest sat that would be fine
    sunday - off (usually baseball on sundays, but that's not a really intense workout) good let your body recoup

I would hit the cardio after every workout at the gym, if you are doing intervals let me know your heart rates and how long your doing them for...it should be a 3:1 ratio....or if youve been doing them for a while 2:1...2 in the lower THR and 1 in the THR. If your going to do the upper and lower days diff you want to superset which means if your gonna do three sets of chest go and do three sets of back right after...heavy weight 2-3 sets 8-12 reps...getting to 12 should be difficult if its not slow down or increase weight. I put legs first because they are first in the exercise order list and personally I hate having sore legs all week...so by wed you should be good haha let me know what you think.
  • greekgyrl02
    Options
    oooppps I just read that full post hahaha sorry! Im a skimmer! Let me reply on it and see what I can do
  • banks1850
    Options
    Sure! Well if you ever get the time or even as a hobby youd do good my friend! I can help you out I think its good your switching your routine up but let me tweek it a little and you tell me what you think. Here we go;

My routine will be
    Monday - core (abs, obliques, and glutes) {Monday I would do Legs..heavy leg day and end with a little 3 round ab circuit. abs dont need a full day alone}
    tuesday - {Chest and back, end with a one or two ab routines}
    wednesday-REST
    thursday - {Tris, (external rotation ---->shoulders, biceps, forearms, again some abs}
    friday - {Hit one exercise every muscle group but you should be pretty sore if your hitting the gym heavy on the other days and not want to so this is the day I would just go in and do abs and cardio}
    saturday - running (5 miles a little slower pace) {This is fine for a nice sat workout} even if you wanted to rest sat that would be fine
    sunday - off (usually baseball on sundays, but that's not a really intense workout) good let your body recoup

I would hit the cardio after every workout at the gym, if you are doing intervals let me know your heart rates and how long your doing them for...it should be a 3:1 ratio....or if youve been doing them for a while 2:1...2 in the lower THR and 1 in the THR. If your going to do the upper and lower days diff you want to superset which means if your gonna do three sets of chest go and do three sets of back right after...heavy weight 2-3 sets 8-12 reps...getting to 12 should be difficult if its not slow down or increase weight. I put legs first because they are first in the exercise order list and personally I hate having sore legs all week...so by wed you should be good haha let me know what you think.

Hmm, looks pretty good. I would have to tweak thursdays I think, maybe swap them with tuesdays, cuz I am a pitcher for a baseball team, and I pitch on weekends, and shoulders that close to a day I pitch would kill me, but other then that, looks pretty good. I wonder, though, I don' t know if I would want the rest day on Wednesday (I'm a glutton), maybe just do a 5K medium pace or something. Not so much for the cardio, but just cuz I like to break up work by exercising in the middle.

I was doing circuit when I was doing 4 cardio and 2 weight days, but I think I'm gonna cut that out now and just do a 1 mile warmup before the workout. I used to keep my heartrate between 70 and 76% for the circuit and did this for my routine:
    day 1: 3 rotations: 5 minutes of tredmill at 9.5 mph(or eliptical at about lvl 15), Oblique machine, fitness ball crunches, lunges, weighted donkey kicks, inclined crunches, jack knives(oh I hate those), pulse ups, and the crunch machine.
    day 2: 3 minutes tredmill (1 minute of 8 mph, 1 minute 11 mph, 1 minute 8.5 mph), leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, calf press, squats, dead lifts.
    I didn't do shoulders, arms, and chest (besides bosu ball pushups at home at night) because of the baseball thing, but my shoulders and arms are in pretty decent shape, but I AM starting to do it again, this was my old routine.

Well, I thank you again gg! you have been a big help. Let me know if you have any more advice for this, and let me know if you need any help with either nutrition, or running, I'm getting pretty good at the former, and I have a lot of knowledge of the latter (from my track days).

:flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Oh by the way GG, if you ever want a really crazy routine for any client that's looking for cardio but gets board with the usual, but you don't feel like putting one together, I have a military boot camp type workout, I made up it up for myself based on my days of rugby and football. It's about 70 minutes long and is a killer cardio and toneing workout. Let me know if you want it, I'll forward it over to you. It's brutal, but it leaves you KNOWING you have done just about everything you can possibly do to your body. LOL!
  • greekgyrl02
    Options
    yea send me it! I have a boot camp circuit every sunday at a park nearby for now I just have eight clients that come and get tortured but more ideas are always good!!!! Ill take it! Thanks :happy:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Share your boot camp circuit gg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • banks1850
    Options
    I'll email it too you to gg, but here it is for anyone who wants to give it a shot. It's rough so be aware. This isn't for someone who isn't already in at least decent shape or has any kind of medical conditions. But doing this WILL increase your VO2max, as well as lower body and core strength (it's also a killer cardio workout)

Find a park or open field with flat grass, watch out for rough patches that can turn an ankle.
    First do an opening 5 minute jog around, you should make this brisk, not just a warm up, but faster, try to get your heart rate up to about 70% max.
    Next start with wind sprints, we will start with reps of 15. Count 30 yards, 30 strides should do, call it 32 or 33 for shorter people. mark them with something (I just make a mark in the grass with my heel)
    Sprint as fast as you can, pushing yourself as hard as possible through the end of the sprint, give yourself 30 seconds and return the same way. Do 15 of these, I guarantee by 15 you'll be saying, "Wow, this is worse then I thought").
    Next give yourself 3 minutes to rest, and off to the frog jump. Using that same distance, do a frog jump from one end to the other, AS FAST AS YOU CAN. no stopping for breath, just push through it. for a frog jump, you squat until your hands touch the grass, and explode forward and up as far as you can, repeat. do 5, 30 yard lengths of these.
    Another 3 minutes.
    next is side shuffle. Also same 30 yards, position yourself facing 90 degrees from the end of your 30 yard line, taking long strides put your forward leg out and "skip" sideways, never crossing feet, always bringing your back leg towards your front. Don't cheat, do this fast, keep your *kitten* down, center of gravity low and knees bent. Do 10 of these.
    3 minutes rest again
    Jumping jacks. If you have a watch, do 3 minutes of these, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, you will start to slow down probably, this is rough on the thighs, but keep going, don't stop even if you pace is nill by the end.
    3 minutes rest
    forward crab crawl. Same 30 yard distance, get on your hands and balls of your feet with your butt up high, crawl to the end as fast as you can, 30 seconds rest at the end, return do 10 of these.
    By now you should be very winded, you should be at about 35 minutes by now.
    3 minutes rest.
    Pushups for 1 minute, don't stop for the whole minute, even if you have to slow down, never take your body out of a start position, never rise up to your knees, even if you can't complete another one,stay at the start position until you collapse or the 1 minute is up.
    2 minutes rest. You should have enough wind back to do your final lung buster.
    another 15 wind sprints
    DON'T LET UP NOW, ALMOST DONE
    Do these as hard as you can. don't take a break, you should be dizzy with fatigue by now. Don't stop, this is the point where your body actually starts to make it's changes! Push through the fatigue, really tell yourself, this is where it counts!
    take a 3 minute break, put your arms over your head to recover your wind.
    Do a 5 minute jog to cool down.