Too few calories?

Options
I just joined MFP and have been scanning through posts.

I've been dieting and exercising for a month now with no weight loss (or inch loss). After reading, I'm seeing a lot about too few calories being a problem.

How do I know if I'm eating too few calories? And how to I up my protein without upping the calories too much (minus protein power stuff)

Just looking for some advice. I don't have a lot to loose, but I do need to loose it.

Thanks

Replies

• terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You can certainly be eating too few calories. If you find that you're tired, you don't recover well from workouts, and you just feel like you have no energy, then you are probably eating too little. In general, 1200 cal/day is the minimum a woman should be eating, and I would add that that is even too low because if you hit a plateau, you won't have anywhere to cut from to get things moving again without starving yourself.

If you're looking to increase your protein intake, stick with lean meats such as chicken/turkey breast (boneless and skinless), port loin, fish, shrimp, egg whites (pure protein with no fat or carbs), or venison (if you are or know a hunter).

Always happy to help any time.

Allan
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    It would help if we knew your stats - age, gender, weight, height, activity level. If you give us these numbers, we can give you an estimate of how many calories you should be eating to lose. Your goal weight and how much you're currently eating would also be helpful.

It could be that you're eating more than you think you are. Do you weigh and measure all of your food? Guessing how much you're eating is bad. You need to log everything and log as accurately as possible.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    It could be that you're eating more than you think you are. Do you weigh and measure all of your food? Guessing how much you're eating is bad. You need to log everything and log as accurately as possible.

I agree with this..

Here's a fantastic post to guide you:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • sammama5
    sammama5 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to add to what these guys have already said, except that I need some friends who actually use MFP! I joined over a year ago, and most of the friends I added no longer use it or answer messages.
    I'm a couple years older than you, but I'm a mom, and I homeschool my kids, so I am a teacher as well. (maybe not the same kind, but your info isn't very complete.) Feel free to check out my page and add me if you'd like!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing, then you're not eating at a deficit. With 30 lb. to lose, set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week. After 5–10 lb. switch to .5 lb. per week. The smaller deficit will help you transition to maintenance.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • CjEm7985
    CjEm7985 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher - so kinda active but I also exercise 30 minutes a day after school (4-5 times a week). Female, 5'6" and 28 who just had a child a bit over a year ago.

I don't weigh my food because most of what I eat is prepackaged (not the healthiest I know, but with my schedule and finances it's the best I can do) What isn't prepackaged I definitely measure out carefully

The counter says my goal calorie intake to loose 1.5 or 2 lbs a week is 1440 calories. Yesterday (a normal day and my first day logging it) I was 442 calories off my 'goal' and 45 grams of protein short.
    ~ Egg whites have the protein? I would have thought the yolk had a lot of protein in it... Learned something there, thanks!

I'll admit I don't diet on the weekends (mainly because we have family get togethers or church functions practically every weekend) but am meticulous during the week and don't eat as much as I used to on the weekends.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    2 lb. per week is far too aggressive a goal for someone your size.

Please, read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add open your diary for specific advice, but you've already admitted your logging is sloppy. If you want to lose weight, you need to log everything you eat accurately & honestly.
  • CjEm7985
    CjEm7985 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to be 'sloppy' on the weekends because I don't know what they put in their foods when they cook. I can guess, but without asking a recipe (and most of the family doesn't use recipes) there's no way to accurately log what I eat.

And I am new, so I haven't been logging much in yet...

edit: I didn't know the settings made it private at first, most website you have to make your info private. I've opened my food log up. Again, this is only my second day logging, but I've not changed my eating habits in the past month (except I don't usually eat Ramen for dinner...)
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm only going to be 'sloppy' on the weekends because I don't know what they put in their foods when they cook. I can guess, but without asking a recipe (and most of the family doesn't use recipes) there's no way to accurately log what I eat.

And I am new, so I haven't been logging much in yet...

edit: I didn't know the settings made it private at first, most website you have to make your info private. I've opened my food log up. Again, this is only my second day logging, but I've not changed my eating habits in the past month (except I don't usually eat Ramen for dinner...)

This is why you are not losing weight. Plain and simple. You need to weigh and log everything whenever possible. Take it easy at social events or cut your calories on weekdays. It's tempting to believe eating more will be the solution but it's not. I mean do you honestly in your heart believe you are eating too little?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm a teacher - so kinda active but I also exercise 30 minutes a day after school (4-5 times a week). Female, 5'6" and 28 who just had a child a bit over a year ago.

I don't weigh my food because most of what I eat is prepackaged (not the healthiest I know, but with my schedule and finances it's the best I can do) What isn't prepackaged I definitely measure out carefully

The counter says my goal calorie intake to loose 1.5 or 2 lbs a week is 1440 calories. Yesterday (a normal day and my first day logging it) I was 442 calories off my 'goal' and 45 grams of protein short.
    ~ Egg whites have the protein? I would have thought the yolk had a lot of protein in it... Learned something there, thanks!

I'll admit I don't diet on the weekends (mainly because we have family get togethers or church functions practically every weekend) but am meticulous during the week and don't eat as much as I used to on the weekends.

I just want to point out that prepackaged foods can be up to 20% different than what's listed on the packaging. Those may need to be weighed and measured if you want to ensure accuracy.

Best of luck! I hope you find what works for you.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    2 lb. per week is far too aggressive a goal for someone your size.

Please, read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Edited to add open your diary for specific advice, but you've already admitted your logging is sloppy. If you want to lose weight, you need to log everything you eat accurately & honestly.

THIS^^

The amount you are eating on the weekend could easily wipe out any deficit you created during the week. This is likely the reason.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    Then you find the closest match in the database. (But choosing the entry with the lowest calorie count will not get you closer to your goal.)

And you need to be extra precise during the week. Weigh everything.