Motivational techniques that have helped you lose weight?

For example I've seen the weight loss jars....does anyone have something that they do for themselves that motivates them to keep going? I've been at a plateau forever and I'm getting so discouraged.

Replies

• Fiercely_Me
    Fiercely_Me Posts: 481 Member
    Reading the success stories on mfp keeps me motivated. If they can do it, so can I (and you)!
  • jcast92
    jcast92 Posts: 144 Member
    I hate getting discouraged. :/ Try changing things up a little to break your plateau! A large calorie deficit by increasing cardio or something. Usually what motivates me is the small changes I see every few days.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,674 Member
    Joining a group challenge was great for me last August. The challenge was to set a calorie burn goal for the month and reach/exceed it. It worked so well!!
    This month I have joined 2 challenges, one regarding quality of sleep, the other for staying within calorie goal everyday.
  • BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Pictures have always kept me motivated. My mind in the mirror can lie to me, but the camera lens always tells me the truth and it says, "This is how you look in real life, so you may wanna get back to work."
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Paying for a Disney Half Marathon 6 months in advance motivated me to keep training. (safely) Disney races have a cutoff so I couldn't just say "oh well, I'll just walk it."
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    I blog about my progress and look back on it when feeling discouraged or unmotivated. I check out the success stories to help me realize this takes time but can be done. I trie to change things up with my workouts to keep me interested.
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Pictures have always kept me motivated. My mind in the mirror can lie to me, but the camera lens always tells me the truth and it says, "This is how you look in real life, so you may wanna get back to work."

That's a great trick! Bcos I do believe that my ego has risen causing me to perceive myself looking better in my reflection than I actually do (or maybe I really do look that good ;) ). Thanks :D

Techniques...hmm...you can promise yourself gifts when you reach a certain goal :) I also announce my plan to my friends here on MFP and to my family so that they keep me on track. And I look at progress shots(from other mfp users) for inspiration. Hope that helps!

:)xx
  • Jazz_2014
    Jazz_2014 Posts: 150 Member
    I replace a bad habit with a good habit. When the good habit is truly a habit and not a struggle. I pick another bad habit and replace with a good one. It's slow but it works.
    A few examples: used to drink sweet tea, now it is water w/lemon or herbal hot tea.
    Used to eat starchy veggies, now I chose low glycemic.
    Used to watch tv a lot, now go to Zumba once a week.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    BeAds on a string: different colour for daily calorie goal, 10000 steps and working out. When I get to my target, number of beads, I buy a bead for my charm bracelet.
  • 39laurita39
    39laurita39 Posts: 43 Member
    The one thing that works for me now that I'm closer to my goal weight is getting the smallest sizes WHENEVER I go shopping for clothes. I have a drawer full of tops & shorts i LOVE and cannot wear because they dont look flattering; so I'm stuck to wearing the same clothes I'm bored of...
    My mindset is: I love fashion & I go shopping often so what's the point of getting pretty clothes I'd eventually have to ditch since I still wanna lose more weight? I dont let myself buy bigger clothes so I have a full wardrobe of outfits I'd wear if I was at my goal weight. I find this extremely motivating when getting ready in the morning as I wish I could wear them! And the more clothes I used to love get too big, the more motivated I am to be able to start using brand new clothes! Stay strong!! :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I keep a copy of the picture when I started on my desk, in my wallet and on the fridge as a reminder of what I don't want to look like again, I also set a calender reminder in outlook that says Get off your A** and get it done.

Other than that, I just made sure to make good habits of logging everything, physical activity so now they are just a part of my daily routine, because if I had to rely on motivation to do it .. well it wouldn't happen.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    well I gave away all my fat cloths...

Mainly it's just how I feel and each week or each pound I am closer to goal.

Prior to that I used to read the success stories...
  • Junctionbox
    Junctionbox Posts: 47 Member
    Talk about your mind playing tricks on you. I visualised myself wearing a higher grade martial arts belt but then panicked when I couldn't find it in my bag! I hadn't passed it yet :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Shifting my focus to getting fitter rather than slimmer last month got my weight dropping again. I started walking 2 miles before work and added in some different exercise classes on top of what I was doing. Made sure I ate back all my exercise calories and lost 8lbs in a month after 2 months of plateau.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    i like signing up for races. they help keep me focused on a long term goal to prepare for.
  • askewcr
    askewcr Posts: 391 Member
    I love to read other people's success stories. It also makes me feel that if they can do it I can. I also hang on to God's promise that I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. I also have a MfP friend, Gema, who blogs and all of her segments are truly motivational, causing you to search within to see what is the reason why I keep "messing up" all the time. Last, but not lease, 99% of my MFP friends end the day under their calorie goal and that makes me want to do the same each day.:blushing:
  • He1loKitty
    He1loKitty Posts: 212 Member
    I have found that coming to the Motivation and Support forums really helps me get through the day! It's nice to know that others struggle like me. I think I am personally motivated to continue my journey because I finally realized it's possible to lose the weight. It was difficult to make the adjustments to my diet and exercise routine at first, and my bad habits were so ingrained. In the past, it felt like the most I could lose was five pounds, and then I'd fall off the wagon and gain it all back plus some. I realize now that I wasn't being honest with myself about my efforts. And now I actually want to eat healthy, work out and leave treats for special occasions or a once a week thing. My biggest motivators though are a pair of shorts I am dying to fit into this summer as well as feeling good when I wake up! I love waking up and not feeling gross because I ate too much ice cream or cookies late the night before!
  • molliepw
    molliepw Posts: 74 Member
    following
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Watch "finding Nemo" and "Keep swimming".
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Bump