low carb success stories

Options
22dream
22dream Posts: 60 Member
does anyone have success with atkins southbeach or just plain low carb?? I feel like ive had most success with low carb just wanted some success stories :)

save me the neagative feedback dont care

Replies

• celtic_fiddler1
    celtic_fiddler1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just started a low carb diet today. I thought I would be hungry all day or really crave bread but that wasn't the case. I am reading up on wheat belly. When you were on low carb, did you limit carbs severely ? I just wonder how strict I should be. I changed my fitness setting to show how many carbs I'm eating and today I was below the limit.
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i did it last year lost 50 pounds in 4 months i followed atkins was never really hungry i went back to eating the same and gained my weight back with any new way of eating you cant go back to your old ways the weight comes back on. i had a baby in december and was smaller than i am now i was cutting out carbs and eating healthier then too and then went back to my old ways it has to be a new way of life all together not a short period of time
  • zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    Been on LCHF for 3 months now and it is the new lifestyle I chose to stick to. Better skin, more energy, my hormones are happy, I am happy and bonus I lost more than 30 lbs (13 kgs). I am never hungry and don't crave sugar or junk/fast food.

I am a moderate gym goer (bodyweight exercises, lifting and cardio), been going for 2 months and my body looks way better, more toned and waistline has shrunk which I thought would not be possible before a six month period.

Keep at it!
  • vegansassy
    vegansassy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Atkins or protein power…they are very similar. both ketogenic diets. I have done very well. Still a work in progress though. I am hovering now between 166-170 lbs. I was initially about 260 lbs. It works, you just have to persist through the stalls. Everyone has stalls here and there. Yes it is, and can be difficult. You will thank yourself later. You will feel better, and it will show in your physical body, attitude, outlook on life, in relationships with others. I especially enjoy not being out of breath from walking. I have to run now to be that winded! Change can be good, but are you willing to sacrifice the sugar and starchy processed carbs for the change?:flowerforyou:
  • nayward22
    nayward22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have tried about every diet out there! The MOST successful lifestyle change for me is low carb, low sugar. I do help myself to some of the Atkins drinks, and I do exercise. I was such a carb-aholic, but have noticed how much better I feel when I limit to 20 grams a day. I do try and count net carbs when I can.
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I eat a reduced carb diet and exercise 5-6 days a week to manage my blood sugars. I do not do Atkins or extremely low carb. It's working great for me so far so I'm not going to change a thing.

This is a lifestyle change that will be with me long term so I have to learn how to manage vacations, holidays, and whatever life tosses my way without going back to old habits. I feel this plan is more realistic for me to be able to do that.
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    I did it for about six months-- had good results weight-wise, but my cholesterol count and blood pressure went through the roof. Beware the animal fats!
  • tech_kitten
    tech_kitten Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I did it for about six months-- had good results weight-wise, but my cholesterol count and blood pressure went through the roof. Beware the animal fats!

I am doing low carb and all of my blood test results are better than they were 6 months ago when I was eating high carb. Maybe I am eating more whole foods, and that's why, but I do use real butter, coconut oil, and bacon grease to cook. My blood sugar has gotten so much better too since I don't eat sweet stuff every day and I try not to eat processed foods. I'm not doing as low carb as I was for my initial 20 lb loss, but lower carb than what most would consider "normal", I have found I am less hungry all the time and my hormones are more balanced. It's not for everyone, but it has worked well for me.
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Just bagan Atkins 11 days ago, have lost 5 pounds. I tried counting calories for over a year here, lost 12 pounds but gained it back during stressful times. I realized trying to have "a smaller portion" isn't working for me. I need a bit more restrictive plan right now. But, I am happy with Atkins, and I feel better. My hands aren't bloated feeling and I am ready to work on this for quite some time. Friend me if you like.
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    bump
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options

I am doing low carb and all of my blood test results are better than they were 6 months ago when I was eating high carb. Maybe I am eating more whole foods, and that's why, but I do use real butter, coconut oil, and bacon grease to cook. My blood sugar has gotten so much better too since I don't eat sweet stuff every day and I try not to eat processed foods. I'm not doing as low carb as I was for my initial 20 lb loss, but lower carb than what most would consider "normal", I have found I am less hungry all the time and my hormones are more balanced. It's not for everyone, but it has worked well for me.
    I'm glad it's working for you! I had expected what you experienced, based on the literature I'd read, but I think I did things in a stupid way-- very little vegetables or fruit, with most of my calories from animal fats. If I do it again, I'll do it vegetarian style with olive oil instead.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    This is a difficult one for me. I did lose weight eating a low carb diet once and I didn't regain after as I continued to eat healthily but I wonder now exactly what it was I lost. I caught the end of an interesting programs couple of weeks ago which looked at sugar vs fat. Two identical brothers ate either high fat or high sugar for a month and while they both lost a bit of weight by the end of the month, for the brother that ate high fat, his loss was half muscle. Because he didn't have sugar/carbs in his diet his body made its own sugars for fuel, it turned his muscle into sugars. It sounds like very low carbs diets aren't all that great if you want to have a good strong body at the end of your diet and you should try to balance your macros.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I did low carb for a short while and when I went off it my body fat went up a lot. I would never do it again.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to now. Add me if you want. :) It seems a few months ago I went low carb and lost a couple of pounds, but got sick and just gave up a bit on it. Trying a lower carb than normal now, but not too low. Trying to eat at least my BMR everyday, and I'm having trouble doing that with low carb. I'm always under, so I eat like, 6 tablespoons of peanut butter. I need new ideas. Lol. I dont really understand carbs, and net carbs and such yet. Is low carb just overall carbs?
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a low carb, high protein, high fat diet that my doctor gave me since last August. I had started a no sugar, no flour diet myself in July and he "tweaked" i for me., It has worked wonderfully for me. I had blood testing done a couple months ago, and my cholesterol went from 212 to 168; my hdl, ldl and triglyderides are all now in the "optimal" range. I had a sed rate (measures inflammation in your system) done as well, and normal for my age range is from 30 to 60 and mine was 11. So for me, it has been very good. The doctor said I have insulin resistance, so that is why he put me on this diet. But I have had no cravings, and I have hit no plateau during this time. Which is a first for me. I have continued with the no sugar as well. Oh, and he also said no fake sugars like aspartame, that kind of stuff as it will also cause your insulin to spike. I can use stevia or Truvia. I guess it doesn't do that (evidently). Also, no diet foods, like no low fat. All full fat food. Greek yogurt, not regular yogurt and full fat, not low fat. However, I do drink skim milk and eat 1% cottage cheese. I eat bacon, eggs, butter, lots of the previous no-no's. So anyway, for me, it has worked well. I'm sure it's not for everybody. However, I don't miss the carbs at all. Vegetables are good, however, he said none that are grown below ground, such as potatoes, carrots, beets, etc. I'm assuming they are more starchy. It's definitely a different way of eating, but I like it. It's something I will be able to do long-=term, the rest of my life. I don't miss anything I used to eat. Oh, and grains, beans, etc are good foods and ok.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I have lost 33 lbs since mid December on low carb and have lower blood sugar, but the last 3 weeks had to go off of it because of gall stones and needing my gall bladder removed next week, once I am feeling better I will go back to it asap, but for now oatmeal and toast are the only things staying down lol. I think its good for weight loss and for controlling blood sugars for me as I am diabetic.
  • sunnyskys2013
    sunnyskys2013 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    bump
  • StacyRenee77
    StacyRenee77 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a low carb, high protein, high fat diet that my doctor gave me since last August. I had started a no sugar, no flour diet myself in July and he "tweaked" i for me., It has worked wonderfully for me. I had blood testing done a couple months ago, and my cholesterol went from 212 to 168; my hdl, ldl and triglyderides are all now in the "optimal" range. I had a sed rate (measures inflammation in your system) done as well, and normal for my age range is from 30 to 60 and mine was 11. So for me, it has been very good. The doctor said I have insulin resistance, so that is why he put me on this diet. But I have had no cravings, and I have hit no plateau during this time. Which is a first for me. I have continued with the no sugar as well. Oh, and he also said no fake sugars like aspartame, that kind of stuff as it will also cause your insulin to spike. I can use stevia or Truvia. I guess it doesn't do that (evidently). Also, no diet foods, like no low fat. All full fat food. Greek yogurt, not regular yogurt and full fat, not low fat. However, I do drink skim milk and eat 1% cottage cheese. I eat bacon, eggs, butter, lots of the previous no-no's. So anyway, for me, it has worked well. I'm sure it's not for everybody. However, I don't miss the carbs at all. Vegetables are good, however, he said none that are grown below ground, such as potatoes, carrots, beets, etc. I'm assuming they are more starchy. It's definitely a different way of eating, but I like it. It's something I will be able to do long-=term, the rest of my life. I don't miss anything I used to eat. Oh, and grains, beans, etc are good foods and ok.

Do you eat the amount you want?
  • atfirstblush
    atfirstblush Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I'm on a low carb diet and I've been doing really good. I've also been doing cardio for 30 to 60 minutes a day. I feel great, my skin looks wonderful, most days I'm not even hungry and have to remind myself to eat. Best of all I can work all day, come home and still have the energy to exercise, work outside. Low carb was recommended to me by my doctor because that's what she lives by especially when you get older (I'm 52).
  • thatdupeally
    thatdupeally Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This is after about 8 months

BEFORE
    fzS85.jpg

mFFvde7.jpg

After

hrvRkBd.jpg

3w8Rant.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!