Seeking Chocolate Almond Milk Recipes

Options
BetesBitch
BetesBitch Posts: 234 Member
Hello. Im interested in knowing MFP people's tips/suggestions on using unsweetened chocolate almond milk??? But it must be:
#1 low sugar
#2 low calorie
#3 taste good

Interested in mixing it with my protein, yogurt, fruit for smoothies, pancakes, icecream, cookies.........etc. Thanks!

Replies

• ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    mmm if you can afford it, make your own! - this makes it way easier to drink on its own :)

http://minimalistbaker.com/super-thick-diy-chocolate-almond-milk/

http://eatplaylovemore.com/2013/05/30/make-your-own-strawberry-chocolate-or-vanilla-almond-milk/

ETA: Chia seed pudding as seen below is also great :)
  • airangel59
    airangel59 Posts: 1,887 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will float your boat and am assuming if it did, it would work with the almond milk but I've been making chia seed pudding.

I use Carbmaster chocolate milk (4 oz), 1T chocolate PB2, 1T chia seeds, sweeter of choice if need be (I use sweet & low).
    Blend or mix and refrigerate a few hours.

Mine comes to 123 calories/12 carbs/11 protein/5 sugar. Other recipes have used 2T of PB2, more milk etc, but I'm eating low calorie/carb.
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    Thanks. I never tried chia seeds! Any other ideas?
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I make an iced mocha coffee drink with it. Protein powder, almond milk, instant or brewed coffee, and ice.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    This recipe uses plain almond milk. If using chocolate almond milk omit cocoa and sugar, or use less than what recipe calls for.

Chocolate Pudding with almond milk
    (87 cal/7servings, 1/2 C each with almond milk)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    3 cups , almond, Silk soy or coconut milk, any flavor except Light
    1 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1.Combine the cocoa, sugar, salt and cornstarch in a saucepan and mix well.
    2.Slowly add the almond milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat while whisking constantly.
    3.Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, until pudding begins to thicken.
    4.Remove from the heat and whisk in the margarine (or butter) and vanilla.
    5.Pour into 1 large bowl or 8 small serving bowls and refrigerate for at least an hour until thoroughly chilled.

Variations to try:

use brown sugar instead of white for butterscotch flavor (6 servings, 153 cal per 1/2 cup)

Add cinnamon to cocoa to make Mexican chocolate pudding
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    I make an iced mocha coffee drink with it. Protein powder, almond milk, instant or brewed coffee, and ice.

OMG yum that sounds soooo good! Thanks!

Got the measurements to use? Do you add a sweetener too though?
  • BetesBitch
    Options
    This recipe uses plain almond milk. If using chocolate almond milk omit cocoa and sugar, or use less than what recipe calls for.

Chocolate Pudding with almond milk
    (87 cal/7servings, 1/2 C each with almond milk)

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    3 cups , almond, Silk soy or coconut milk, any flavor except Light
    1 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1.Combine the cocoa, sugar, salt and cornstarch in a saucepan and mix well.
    2.Slowly add the almond milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat while whisking constantly.
    3.Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, until pudding begins to thicken.
    4.Remove from the heat and whisk in the margarine (or butter) and vanilla.
    5.Pour into 1 large bowl or 8 small serving bowls and refrigerate for at least an hour until thoroughly chilled.

Variations to try:

use brown sugar instead of white for butterscotch flavor (6 servings, 153 cal per 1/2 cup)

Add cinnamon to cocoa to make Mexican chocolate pudding

I would have to use Splenda instead of the sugar, therefore, it probably wouldn't set right. Do you know?
  • StraubreyR
    StraubreyR Posts: 631 Member
    Options

OMG yum that sounds soooo good! Thanks!

Got the measurements to use? Do you add a sweetener too though?

Well the protein powder I use is already sweet-ish, enough for me. I use one cup almond milk, one cup coffee (or 1 tsp instant plus one cup water), 2 scoops protein powder (choc or vanilla), and ice.
  • ils_1231
    ils_1231 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this will float your boat and am assuming if it did, it would work with the almond milk but I've been making chia seed pudding.

I use Carbmaster chocolate milk (4 oz), 1T chocolate PB2, 1T chia seeds, sweeter of choice if need be (I use sweet & low).
    Blend or mix and refrigerate a few hours.

Mine comes to 123 calories/12 carbs/11 protein/5 sugar. Other recipes have used 2T of PB2, more milk etc, but I'm eating low calorie/carb.

i did this last night but no sweetner -- i like to make it thicker so i add an individual yogurt pack to mine. It was really good!