NO weight loss!

I need to lose 15lbs in the next 6 months for health reasons. For the past 5 weeks I have been working out (30min cardio burning 300cals + 30 min strength training) at 5 days a week and eating 1200-1300 cals a day. I always ate generally healthy but didn't lose any weight so I started working out. The problem is I have lost ONE pound in these last 5 weeks. It just doesn't make sense. What can the problem be?

Replies

• LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I need to lose 15lbs in the next 6 months for health reasons. For the past 5 weeks I have been working out (30min cardio burning 300cals + 30 min strength training) at 5 days a week and eating 1200-1300 cals a day. I always ate generally healthy but didn't lose any weight so I started working out. The problem is I have lost ONE pound in these last 5 weeks. It just doesn't make sense. What can the problem be?
    Are you weighing and measuring all of your food?
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    If you need to lose weight for health reasons, I would ditch the strength training, cos that won't shift the scales for awhile, if at all, you will be replacing the fat with muscle. Also if you opened your diary we could help you with food advice. But I suggest looking at the IIFYM.com and use their calculator. Keep your water intake high 8-12 glasses. Also watch your sodium, you might be sodium sensitive, some people hold extra water with sodium.
  • tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    measure you food and DRINK LOTS OF WATER!! slow down on the weight training - muscle weighs more.
  • radical51
    radical51 Posts: 1 Member
    It's possible that it is a medication you are on. Just throwing that out there as it took me a while to discover that despite the fact I was working out 5 days a week, I was not losing any weight due to one of my medications.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Unfortunately this isn't an exact science. My take your body a little longer to respond... OR you might be building muscle (which by volume weighs more then fat). Don't get discouraged though!! I DO hope you eat back those exercising calories...
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Make sure you have your activity level set correctly if you are using MFP for tracking. Secondly, track everything and if you are not use to portion control then buy a scale and weight you foods.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    I'd also like to add...don't stop with the weight training. One, it doesn't sound like you're eating at a surplus, since you aren't gaining weight, so you are not gaining muscle. Two, if you have to lose "weight" for a medical reason, it's likely that you have to lose FAT for a medical reason, not just scale weight. Keeping as much lean mass as possible while losing weight will be beneficial for you in the long run, for both health and vanity purposes.
    This, thank you. I'm pretty sure if you told your doctors, "ok I am going to go ahead and lose 15 pounds of muscle only, and keep all my body fat," they would not be enthusiastic.
  • francsull
    francsull Posts: 3 Member
    I don't really know about muscle weight but I know unless I measure and count my calories exactly with measuring spoons and a food scale I don't lose. It is time consuming and annoying but it is the only thing that works. Drinking water helps me a lot also. I wish you good luck. I know it is not easy. I have to lose for health reasons also because I have bad arthritis and the weight on my joints is very bad. Try to picture yourself healthier and how happy you will be from that and hopefully it will motivate you. Again good luck.
    Fran
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    I'd also like to add...don't stop with the weight training. One, it doesn't sound like you're eating at a surplus, since you aren't gaining weight, so you are not gaining muscle. Two, if you have to lose "weight" for a medical reason, it's likely that you have to lose FAT for a medical reason, not just scale weight. Keeping as much lean mass as possible while losing weight will be beneficial for you in the long run, for both health and vanity purposes.
    This, thank you. I'm pretty sure if you told your doctors, "ok I am going to go ahead and lose 15 pounds of muscle only, and keep all my body fat," they would not be enthusiastic.

It has been my experience that drs go by BMI not body fat % and I have had a lifetime of experience with doctors. Perhaps though you can call them and ask if they need just weight loss or body fat reduction? This is why I suggested stopping weight training for now (I am a huge advocate for weight training).
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member

Working out doesnt = weight loss. Calorie deficit = weight loss.
  • greenskpr
    greenskpr Posts: 11 Member
    As mentioned above - it's a misnomer that you can gain muscle in caloric deficit. You just can't. If you're truly in a deficit, you're body is trying to come up with ways to feed itself. Muscle production and repair is minimal, if any. Fat stores, as well as muscle tissue are broken down for their energy producing potential. You may start looking more 'cut' or 'diced' but that's more from muscle tone improving and fat layers becoming less thick.
    When you're in a deficit, your body is functioning in a catabolic state - it's consuming itself.
    Nobody is getting big (or staying the same) when those conditions exist.
  • beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    If you aren't losing weight you're not in a caloric deficit. Start logging properly.

To the other posters:
    Don't stop weight training. That makes no sense.
    She is not gaining muscle in a deficit.
    Muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense.

When they say muscle weighs more than fat they don't mean 1 lb of muscle weighs more than 1 lb of fat, they mean 1 square inch of muscle weighs more than 1 square inch of fat.
  • Ldysw357
    Ldysw357 Posts: 118 Member
    It sounds to me like given the amount you're working out and only eating 1200 calories a day that your body is likely in starvation mode. Figure out your BMR and TDEE and then subtract 20%. You need to eat at the very minimum your BMR as that is the minimum that your body needs to function. In my case that's 1417 a day...at 1200 I will NEVER lose anything. Try this website: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • kitlynnJ
    kitlynnJ Posts: 78 Member

^this

It would also help people help you if you opened up your diary.
  • smatthews9045
    smatthews9045 Posts: 2 Member
    I am in same boat as original post. I am tracking accurately. But I am 10 days in and have lost nothing.
    I am keeping it up because the tracking keeps me aware and eating better.
    I am just curious about what is happening in my own body…