What do I eat?

Options
nikkihk
nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
So you may find that you've made the decision that, "THIS IS IT!! I'm losing weight and no one is going to stop me!!" So, you seek out MFP excited that this will be the tool of your coming war on the belly bulge. You've bought the workout clothes, a gym membership, and you've cleaned your hiding spots of rogue candy bars and soft drink. You are READY.

Then you realize, "I have no damn idea what I'm doing."

You flock to the internet for diets of all kinds. A day in, and you are more confused then ever. You THOUGHT you knew how to eat!? It was once as simple as open mouth insert food, but based on your waistline you are convinced that can't possibly be the answer. So, what are you doing wrong? First, let me address a few reoccurring myths that will trip you up on your journey to long term success.

1. Low Carb, No Carb.

"BREAD IS THE DEVIL." At least that's what your best friend says, and she lost 20 pounds in 4 weeks cutting out all of those evil sources of insulin spiking. You are SURE you heard the same message from a competent doctor on that morning talk show too. So maybe you are gluten sensitive, right?

Most likely not. There is nothing evil about bread, chips, even candy bars as long as you don't over eat. Medical conditions aside (and please don't self diagnosis because real allergies are vastly different then those discovered though hypochondria) a slice of bread will no more damage your diet then an apple. If you find yourself a slave to certain foods? There is no reason not to limit your consumption until you teach yourself how to eat reasonable portions, but do NOT eliminate what you love. Not only will you possibly binge on the things you miss when given the chance, but it may also make you miserable and incapable of developing complete meals.

2. Low Fat No Fat.

It makes so much sense to think that not eating fat will stop your body from storing it, right? Well, that is far from the truth. Fats are important for your diet. If your body is ingesting it, what purpose would it have for storing it? It would be like hording bottles of water from an unending spring and your body is smarter then that. Fats (especially those from animals) have nutritional value and feed your brain and muscles. As long as you eat a balanced diet (which varies from person to person) your system will stay optimized and energized.

3. NO SUGAR!!!

You don't need a candy bar, but if you like it and it fits in your calorie goals. Who will stop you? Don't deny yourself anything you love because if you can maintain a steady diet long term (even if it includes candy) you are more likely to stick to it long term and find great success.

4. Restrictive diets.

Often referred to as fad diets, elimination diets, clean diets etc. Let me first preface this by saying the word "DIET" should be removed from your vocabulary and replaced with "Lifestyle Choice". "Diets" like Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleolithic (to name a few) are not diets meant for weight loss but should be treated as lifestyle choices. To be at all successful it is best they are sustainable and entertained as more then fast track answer to dropping a few pounds. I will not negate the proposed benefits of these options as there seems to be no factual basis for the arguments which exist in support or opposition that they might be more or less beneficial then any other choice, but I will suggest that IF you chose one of these options decide to do so for more then just weight loss.

5. Diet shakes / Foods

Herbalife, Shakology, Slimfast, etc. This is one area I would advise against. I know this will meet with opposition, but here is what I feel is a solid argument against this proponent of weight loss:

The marketing methods of a portion of these products make me question their intentions, effectiveness, and long term consequences on the body. They are basically MLM companies focused on implementing a sales culture which encourages tactics in sales and recruiting that are more interested in your check book then your health goals. They often talk those with aspirations of quickly earned cash into representing the company at enormous costs that rarely earn them profits. Plus the products themselves are expensive.

The other part of my opposition to this is the lack of sustainability. They do NOT teach you responsible eating habits or encourage you to strengthen your relationship with food. I apologize that this WILL offend, but they are a lazy answer to responsible hard work. If you still choose to use them, do so carefully and with medical advice. Watch your nutrient levels.

Now how to get started.

Start with Balanced Meals. A novel concept I know, but this above all is the best choice for most. It includes not limiting yourself in anyway but calorie consumption. How do you ask? It's simple. Pick a representative from 3 or 4 of each food group per meal, weigh those items to get a grasp on portion size, heat and eat. There are no rules, no lists to follow, no special packaging, You are not restricted from any restaurant, no anxiety over Holiday meals, food tastes like food, and it is cost effective.

In our current society people have become afraid to use the range/oven using time and convenience as an excuse to pass on sitting down to a meal . But you'll find that once you embrace it as a tool for your weight loss? You'll discover how amazing it is.

Spend your grocery time in the outer corners of the store, meats, fruits, vegetables, grains, etc. I've heard people suggest that expense is an issue, but if you shop smart? You'll make meals for less then $2.50 per plate and keep true to your weight loss goals (and that applies to all life style choices). Don't forget your favorite comfort foods!! Don't restrict yourself from having them, just HOW MUCH of them you have. Once you learn how to eat inside your calorie goals THEN branch out into new philosophies if you feel it's necessary, just not before.

Finally, to make this easy. Buy a few essential items, things you like that will make multiple meals, You don't need to be Martha Stewart. Here is an easy list that will last you a week:

Salad (large bag your choice of mixture)
Apples (snacks)
Mushrooms
Potatoes
Bacon (Reg or Turkey)
Hamburger (93/7 or 85/15)
Chicken Breast 4-8 pieces
Pork Chops or Roast
1 Pound Deli Sliced Meat (sandwiches)
Cheese shreds/slices
Eggs
Frozen Vegetables (2-3 bags or one Large bag)
Water
Rice
Soup (Quick Meal)
Flavored drink of choice
One comfort treat (like ice cream)

This is roughly $70 and will make at least 30 meals at about $2.00 - $2.25 per meal.

So don't feel like you need to demonize food, it's not want cause you to gain weight!! Over consumption, lack of exercise, and perhaps a sluggish metabolism did. I promise you, once you've found a sustainable way to just eat? You will be happy, healthy, and find weight loss a much less daunting task.

Good luck!!

Replies

• maddiejp
    maddiejp Posts: 8
    Options
    wow, this is so great. Thank you for posting this! It seriously makes me so sad and angry when people think they know how to eat when dieting, but really they're just killing their bodies. Some people don't understand that, yes, you can eat comfort food, it just matters how much. Rather than eating the whole pint of ice cream, try a third, or scoop out a bit into a bowl. It's that simple. Sigh.

Calorie restriction only works if you were eating MORE than the recommended amount of calories per day. Not eating enough will make you lose weight at first, but then your metabolism will slow down, you'll be hungry all the time, and you'll probably end up binging, and then gaining all the weight back, if not more. Juice detoxes should be used in serious cases, like with parasites, not to lose that extra 5 pounds. You'll gain it right back. C'mon, people.
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Sure thing Maddie!! <3
  • ParkerH47
    ParkerH47 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    YES. THANK YOU. my sentiments exactly
  • KellyS_86
    KellyS_86 Posts: 25
    Options
    What a great post!!! :D x
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Fantastic post!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Thanks. At first I thought it was going to be another GOOD food BAD food post.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Belly-Bump.gif
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Wondering if I should have posted this in the General Diet and Weight Loss help thread... Hmm..
  • harperjs
    harperjs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of this great Michael Pollan quote:
    "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."
    (source: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=all)

Eating well isn't difficult, but it is construed to be near impossible, something you need books and supplements and memberships to do right, because America, money, business, etc. We are grown-*kitten* adults and we can learn to do this. It dead simple, really. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Sure thing!! There are just so many posts asking how to eat? It surprises me.
  • ECA67
    ECA67 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Thanks !
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Very nice post. I really like the way you've debunked a lot f nonsense that anyone trying to lose weight hears all the time.

I would change a couple of things on your food list, simply for my own personal preference:

Egg substitute (Egg Beaters) for eggs: I like this because it's basically a twofer, two servings of egg substitute is fewer calories than one egg. I do eat eggs on occasion but for the daily breakfast, egg substitute all the way.

Turkey bacon: Um, no. Why? It doesn't taste good.
  • BENNYDOOR
    BENNYDOOR Posts: 23
    Options
    Good info.. only thing I disagree with is no amount of processed food is good for your body and health.... it all gets stored as toxins which can cause a variety of health problems from cancer, diabetes, heart disease etc..
  • nikkihk
    Options
    I would change a couple of things on your food list, simply for my own personal preference:

Egg substitute (Egg Beaters) for eggs: I like this because it's basically a twofer, two servings of egg substitute is fewer calories than one egg. I do eat eggs on occasion but for the daily breakfast, egg substitute all the way.

Turkey bacon: Um, no. Why? It doesn't taste good.

I prefer Regular Bacon myself... but for people with cholesterol issues (which comes with obesity) I thought I should supply an alternative. Much like you did with Egg Substitute (which I don't love). So let's say add to vs. change. =D
  • nikkihk
    Options
    Good info.. only thing I disagree with is no amount of processed food is good for your body and health.... it all gets stored as toxins which can cause a variety of health problems from cancer, diabetes, heart disease etc..

Please supply us with case or peer study research to support this claim. I will agree that natural foods are a better choice just for general health, but "no amount" of processed foods is a pretty generalized claim that bucket addresses a lot of foods, it's sort of an irresponsible claim to make without being specific or researched. (a generic eatorganic.com site doesn't count as a resource btw..)
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Define 'processed foods'.

Planting, growing, harvesting, freezing, chopping, preparing, cooking, chewing - these are all forms of processing.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Sure thing!! There are just so many posts asking how to eat? It surprises me.

I prefer to eat with my hands.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options

Planting, growing, harvesting, freezing, chopping, preparing, cooking, chewing - these are all forms of processing.

:heart: :flowerforyou:
  • nikkihk
    Options

^^ This.