Filling low calorie meals?

Options
JoshD8705
JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
I'm just starting out, and I'm slowly getting things under control. I meet my goal everyday, but it seems like a meal between 550 calories and 600calories is my sweet spot for being content. I need to get that down to 450 - 500 though.

What are some of your favorite meals in a 400 to 500 range?

Replies

• Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I buy lean beef, like 96/4 do about 3-4 ounces on a taco shell with some no fat shredded cheese, high protein, low fat. and moderate carbs. Awesome quick meal!
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Tons of veggies of any kind, a huge salad and some chicken breast. Has lots of nutrients and protein.

Stef.
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A mixture of fiber, protein, and fat is what fills me up. Eggs (sometimes with bacon or feta cheese), veggies and fresh fruit for breakfast. I try to have eggs every morning. I will cook breakfast casseroles and eat them throughout the week. My two favorites are crustless quiches with either bacon, roasted potatoes, and tomatoes, or spinach, red bell pepper, fresh dill, fresh parsley, and feta. Just take eggs, about 10, mix with a bit of milk, maybe 1/2 cup, and add 1 tbsp flour plus a bit of baking powder, and grind some fresh salt and pepper.

Lentil soup is very filling. 1 part dried lentils to 3 parts chopped veggies add a bit of cream or butter and season as you like. Eat with a piece of toasted french or pita bread and a big garden salad.

In general soups are a great and tasty filler tool. If I'm going to have a heavy meal I will have a light veggie soup. Sometimes the main component of my meal is the soup, and then I make it so it has beans, lentils, meat, or some combination of those.
  • Some differnt things to try could be bananas and unsweetened pb, eggs, cold cuts and cheese rolls, homeade healthy muffins frozen, beef jerky or canned tuna plus any veg or fruit.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I am hungry today so I made a big plate of food for my lunch and was so shocked at the calories. I haven't eaten it yet but I'm sure it will be filling!

Baked Chicken: 110 grams (way more chicken then you would think) 168 cal
    Brown Rice: I cup cooked. 188 calories. Admit this is a slight guess because I do not know how much it was dry.
    Steamed Broccoli: 183 grams - 62 calories. that is probably close to 2 cups of broccoli

Total Calories: 418 and it fills a full sized partitioned plate. You'd have some leeway to add some shredded cheese to the rice and broccoli and cheese always improves things, lol. Or some fruit for dessert. I already ate my banana that was supposed to be afternoon snack :P

I usually bring a cold lunch which is has some kind of cold protein (chicken, tuna, deli meat/cheese) or sometimes a sandwich. and loaded with a variety of veggies, spinach salad, and fruit. That comes in under 400 calories usually. Veggies area gift - you can eat them but the truck load.
  • JoshD8705
    JoshD8705 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the replies. What yall have listed will be very helpful.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Eh I can eat a ton of delicious foods for that much. Low calorie for me is 200 calories, lol (diary is open).
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 500 at dinner and my diary is open too. Some examples from this week:
    Meatloaf with veggies
    Stroganoff with meatballs
    meatball sub
    I actaully made meatloaf muffins, and turned some into meatballs, which is why there's a dinner theme!
    You can think about breakfast food too, eggs/bacon/toast and breakfast burrito would be under 500.
  • lizzyclatworthy
    lizzyclatworthy Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I lived on quorn balls (but Tesco own brand) and tomato and chilli sauce for ages (i am a faddy eater) with either pasta or as a sub roll. Now I have it with cheese too.
    My diary should be open x
  • mskraemerspeech
    mskraemerspeech Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I love eating a huge salad with lots of different things in it. For dinners I like to do a lean meat, veggies and a small portion of some kind of carb. I generally have three or four low calorie snacks a day to keep me going from meal to meal and to not be absolutely starving by the time it's dinner.