Sore all the time - normal or overexercising?

Options
Ever since I started exercising intensely every day last Tuesday my body (arms, legs, stomach) have been sore at any given time. Is this normal, like are you supposed to feel this way as someone who exercises, or am I overexercising? I'm very new to this so I don't know.

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    When you first start exercising it's completely normal to be very sore for a while. It's highly unlikely that you're overtraining.
  • Krueger92
    Krueger92 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Make sure your getting roughly 48 hours in between workouts of the same body part!
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    ^^^ THIS!
    Your muscle groups don't solidify while exercising, they do it at rest as protein fills in the little tears that stretching them with exercise makes in them. 48 hrs between muscle groups is important!
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    When that muscle isn't sore anymore you go tear it up again.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    I'm not sure what intense exercise means for you... weight lifting, cardio, full body workouts daily, Insanity, P90X, etc?

If you're weight lifting you should wait 48 hours between working the same muscle group. If you're doing cardio, insanity, etc then it's normal for you to be sore every day. Especially if you're not used to it. You could be overexercising and need to make sure you're allowing your body to recover so you don't injure yourself. What workouts are you doing?
  • sarehhhhhhh
    Options
    Also, point to mention - how much exercise were you doing before? If you were doing nothing and then start hammering it you could easily induce injuries! Speaking from knowledge here. I started doing a lot of kettlebells / body pump classes and now I'm going ot the hospital for an MRI scan on it this Saturday!
  • anupriyasin157
    anupriyasin157 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This could also be because of muscle breakdown in case you are doing intense programs like insanity, p90x. Trying having fresh coconut water everyday, may be twice a day. Muscle soreness should ideally go down
  • MayaDyra
    MayaDyra Posts: 90
    Options
    Oh no Sareh I hope You were not injured badly...:'(

For 1 week I've been running 20 min on the treadmill a day but now I was doing 30 Day Shred AND blogilates and now I'm replacing that by doing Insanity AND blogilates. Before the 1 week, I went to the gym once a week and exercised for 30 minutes at a moderate level.
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options

For 1 week I've been running 20 min on the treadmill a day but now I was doing 30 Day Shred AND blogilates and now I'm replacing that by doing Insanity AND blogilates. Before the 1 week, I went to the gym once a week and exercised for 30 minutes at a moderate level.

This isn't enough training to really worry about over doing it as long as you're eating enough. People who aren't particularly strong and women are generally able to recover relatively quickly because there isn't a lot of muscle tissue to repair; even if ALL of their muscle tissue is damaged from exercising they're good to go before the soreness subsides so you don't have anything to worry about. Keep at it!
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options

Yes it's normal for you to be sore if you're doing Insanity every day. When I did it I was sore throughout the program, depending on how much I "put out" during the workout. Make sure you stretch like you're supposed to, eat and hydrate and you'll be okay.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Stretch