PCOS- What works?

Options
Hello all!
I hope not to sound silly on this topic as I have yet to be officially tested for it, but I was wondering what women with PCOS have done to break through and lose weight. I have delayed the testing as I've been afraid to hear it, among other things, but I have the symptoms- inconsistent/irregular periods, embarassing hirsutism all over that seems to get worse as the years go by, fatigue, and fat that just doesn't seem to want to go away. At my peak I was nearly 200 lb and am down to 166 lbs through exercise and low carb dieting...however I seem to be stuck at this weight for over half a year now. I'm starting to feel hopeless and impatient that I will not be able to shed these last 20-30 lbs to be at a healthy bmi.

I would like to naturally try to continue to lose fat before I get diagnosed and possibly have to take medication- I'm not fond of the idea but if it will help, I will consider it...I'm not sure if it's possible to reverse it or if I have a "mild" case of it if there is such a thing. I had terrible, painful, acne and was extremely fatigued before I lost some weight so I am wondering if other symptoms will lessen if I can manage to lose more fat. After a period of feeling down about no progress, I started to do more cardio, HIIT, and pilates for 1 hr, 6x a week...after 2 weeks I have lost about 1.5 lbs which I think is supposed to be healthy...

So...what has helped you? Any diets, foods, macros, exercises to suggest/avoid?

Replies

• zivasak
    zivasak Posts: 88
    Options
    you are doing great!

I would top up the HIIT with lifting weights 3 times a week (very good for weight loss and important for hormonal balance)

Keep your anxiety and cortisol under control. You will see a change promise. Hang in there!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. If there's a "normal" for PCOS, I was probably it. I had many of the classic symptoms. My diagnosis was confirmed via ultrasound. I agree that it's just tougher to lose weight with PCOS, but there's nothing truly unique as far as our weight loss objectives & methods go. We just have to work a bit harder and it's a bit slower...

What worked for me... I just maintain a modest calorie deficit (gotta be consistent), I try to eat a balance of 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein, and I get plenty of regular exercise (both cardio and strength). I've lost 120 lbs and have kept the bulk of it off for nearly 10 years. I gained back about 35 lbs over the last 3-4 years (due to plain old complacency) and am working to get back within 10 lbs of my lowest weight now. I couldn't realistically maintain my lowest weight for long, so now I'm just shooting to be within the normal BMI range. FWIW, I noticed that my PCOS symptoms lessened once I got my weight down.

Hope that helps. If you are curious, there are some PCOS groups here on MFP, too!

Edited to fix my percentages that didn't add up! Oops.
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    PCOS causes you to be insulin-resistant. As such the HIIT is one of the better exercises for it. As-is weight-training (which, really is a form of interval-training). As the above poster mentioned, insulin-resistance improves as weight comes down (mostly due to a reduction of visceral bodyfat.)

As far as diet goes - the superior choice for the insulin-resistant is a low-carb / high-fat / moderate-protein diet. This works extremely well with PCOS, and you'll find most of the successful PCOS dieters have at the very-least eliminated (or severely restricted) both refined-carbohydrate (flour, sugar, white rice, etc.) and gluten from their diets.

Check out some of the PCOS groups on MFP:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3070-p-c-o-sis
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3300-pcos-and-low-glycemic-eating

and the low-carber group which is also often-followed by ladies with PCOS:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group
  • rhiannondream
    Options
    Thank you so much all! I have to take a break from heavy lifting since I had to quit my gym (very tough decision, but it closed too early for my new job hours...). I'm actually trying to put a barbell system up in my garage though, so that's exciting. I really love lifting. I had read that HIIT helps, which is why I started to do this sort of training more often in the meantime, so here's to X'ing fingers that this weight loss isn't just my body weirdly fluctuating again... I do have muscle definition showing through which is supposed to help burn fat, right? So maybe extra cardio/resistance based training won't hurt for now... :)

I know it's not on my log yet (I took a long break after screwing up for a weekend.. there are a few logs from 3 weeks ago which is typically how I eat every day and I was using a scale and trying to be as true as possible). I do not usually eat gluten, grains (occasional quinoa), dairy (except greek yogurt), or starches and I eat mostly lean proteins and good fats like avocados.... I do have ONE cheat treat/meal a week though so I don't go binging completely. I've tried being more crafty with tending to my sweet tooth by eating low amounts of natural sugar or just using stevia.... I am hoping that I am not too terrible with my diet and that I just needed the extra, consistent exercise...I did read some women found success with upping their exercising.

Thank you so much for the group suggestions and support. Seeing your success gives me hope. Now I just need to cook for myself more often so that I can measure and log more accurately. More success stories are welcome! :)
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    If your thyroid is affected, make sure it's being treated. If you're insulin resistant or pre-diabetic, ask about Metformin if you're not already on it. Yasmin birth control pills cured all my other symptoms (or at least greatly reduced them to minor annoyances). Low to moderate carb works best for PCOS "cysters" and my Endo says the belly fat usually responds well to cardio. (Mine does.) Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and am also hypothyroid. What works for the thyroid issue is taking my meds. What works for PCOS, is exactly what works for "normal" women: eating less, exercising more :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    What works for women with PCOS is low carb, higher fat, and moderate protein diet. Have reversed all symptoms with this diet. While monitoring calorie intake is important, a PCOS patient has to consider macronutrients as well. What works for normal women will NOT usually work for those with this condition.

Also, I recommend weight lifting.
  • smr630
    smr630 Posts: 1
    Options
    This thread is comforting to me. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am really bummed. I want to have a child, but I definitely have to get down to a healthy weight/BMI in order to do so....
  • tmaryam
    Options
    This thread is comforting to me. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS and I am really bummed. I want to have a child, but I definitely have to get down to a healthy weight/BMI in order to do so....

Welcome. :flowerforyou: I'm hoping to try for another one myself, but I'll be using Clomid this time. Best of luck reaching your goals!
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    What works for women with PCOS is low carb, higher fat, and moderate protein diet. Have reversed all symptoms with this diet. While monitoring calorie intake is important, a PCOS patient has to consider macronutrients as well. What works for normal women will NOT usually work for those with this condition.

As I understand it, one of the primary culprits behind weight loss difficulties for PCOS women is the underlying insulin resistance. That's not unique to PCOS. What works for "not normal" PCOS women works for just about all "normal" overweight people.
  • tmaryam
    Options

As I understand it, one of the primary culprits behind weight loss difficulties for PCOS women is the underlying insulin resistance. That's not unique to PCOS. What works for "not normal" PCOS women works for just about all "normal" overweight people.

I think she is referring to glucose control. Anyone can achieve weight loss with a calories deficit, but women with PCOS/IR have to watch their blood sugar like diabetics do.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've also been finding success with the lower carb/moderate protein/high fat approach. Sounds like you are already doing a lot of it correctly though! I don't have much knowledge to offer, but feel free to add me if you'd like =) Most of the ladies on my MFP friends list also have PCOS. It's awesome being able to have support from people who are in the same boat! Good luck to you :flowerforyou:
  • albertabeefy
    albertabeefy Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    What you may not understand is the level of insulin-resistance with PCOS is very similar to that of a type II diabetic. Not all "normal" overweight people are diagnosed diabetics. Many don't even get diagnosed with pre-diabetes or even metabolic-syndrome... (even though, yes, they may have some insulin-resistance ... just not as much as someone with PCOS.)

As such the dietary restrictions for healthy PCOS lifestyle and weight-loss are different than for "normal" overweight individuals.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    What you may not understand is the level of insulin-resistance with PCOS is very similar to that of a type II diabetic. Not all "normal" overweight people are diagnosed diabetics. Many don't even get diagnosed with pre-diabetes or even metabolic-syndrome... (even though, yes, they may have some insulin-resistance ... just not as much as someone with PCOS.)

As such the dietary restrictions for healthy PCOS lifestyle and weight-loss are different than for "normal" overweight individuals.

Actually, I understand this condition rather well. I have a degree in healthcare (nursing, not MD), and since I also have this condition, I studied it at length for my own personal education.

And in regards to the statement "not all overweight people are diabetics"... That's true! But not all PCOS women are either.

I actually get what you are saying... but I don't want women to think that they need to chase down a special "PCOS lifestyle" diet. We still have same anatomy as "normal" women (short of having a hysterectomy/oophorectomy), it's just that some of our organs and hormonal pathways are sub-optimally functioning... And a lot of overweight people, diabetics/prediabetics, and those with a host of other endocrine disorders (ex: hypothyroidism) are in basically a similar boat when it comes to weight management.

I'm mainly trying to assert that what works for us will work *really well* for the general overweight population - and I'd like to emphasize that to my fellow PCOS ladies. We know our dietary restrictions aren't really unique. Sure, in order for us to lose weight, our diets will have to be a bit more strict than that of someone with no other underlying health problems, but a good diet is a good diet. We both know that what's good for a PCOS female would also be really good for an overweight/obese male (no polycystic ovaries) - kinda like you, Mr. AlbertaBeefy. Simply because it's sound lifestyle advice!

And, on the bright side, it is possible to significantly improve the insulin issues with weight management and exercise. In addition to PCOS, I had 4/5 signs/symptoms of metabolic syndrome at my highest weight. Once I got the weight down to the normal BMI range, greatly improved the overall quality of my diet, and started exercising religiously, my glucose numbers have been *optimal* for over 5 years straight and several of the S/S of PCOS and metabolic syndrome are reduced or eliminated. (PCOS itself, as in what's going on at the ovary level, obviously doesn't go away. And I do grieve for that reality.) PCOS, as well as metabolic syndrome, can greatly improve with just the weight management aspect.

Edited to add: After reading your profile, Albertabeefy, and it sounds like you already know/share in the benefits of the lower carb, higher protein & fat diet... And we can safely presume you don't have PCOS. It's refreshing to see a well-informed man's viewpoints on women's health and wellbeing topics.
  • tmaryam
    Options
    Maybe he shares a profile with his wife? lol :bigsmile:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    Options
    Maybe he shares a profile with his wife? lol :bigsmile:

Ooooh, good point! Actually, he/she/they sound pretty smart, regardless of the chromosomal arrangement going on there! :bigsmile:
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options

Weight loss happens at a calorie deficit. PCOS or insulin resistance does not make one an alien:
    calories burned > calories in means weight loss
    It is impossible to not lose weight when at a deficit, regardless of whether you are eating 50% carbs or 20% carbs, PCOS or not.
    Weight loss results in controlling PCOS, exercise results in controlling PCOS. Whether a low carb diet will help with the insulin resistance itself is up for debate and probably research (lots of conflicting info out there, most drs do not demand a low carb diet for this).
  • teddiebare
    teddiebare Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The best thing you can do for yourself is to find a doctor that you like who is on your side. I lost 42 lbs, and then hit a wall. I continued to eat at a defecit, restricted my carbs to 150 a day, and worked out 6x a week for over a year and a half - and gained weight. So to say that anyone anywhere can lose weight with a calorie defecit is flawed at best. There are a lot of other underlying issues that can affect weight gain/loss, and insulin resistance is a huge part of how your body handles weight.

I finally found a doctor who I liked, and it turns out my insulin resistance is much worse then I thought. I also am having some extreme hormonal issues. My thyroid is pretty much the only thing that is still functioning OK. 150 carbs a day just isn't low enough for me to lose weight. I lowered mine to <50 a day, per my doctor's recommendation, and I started losing again. He also put me on metformin and progesterone. I still lose much slower than most people, and will struggle with my weight for my entire life, but I finally feel like I'm back on track.

I lift 3x a week and run/HIIT 2x a week. I also walk 10,000 steps a day, and track all of my food. I was diagnosed in November and finally got treatment in January - I've lost 13 pounds since then. You will start to feel better as you lose more weight, but the underlying issues won't just magically go away. It's also much easier to regain lost weight, so you'll have to be vigilant with your diet and exercise.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Thank you for saying this in the manner you did................I was not going to come off as nice saying the same thing.

Some people fail to realize the amount of damage that PCOS does causing Metabolic damage. A lot of people are merely overweight and that is why they can eat the same way as they did, just smaller portions and lose weight just fine.

The rest of us that are damaged in the way of hormonal imbalances from IR / T2 Diabetes, Thyroid issues and then the female hormone issues from PCOS are a totally different story.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Weight loss happens at a calorie deficit. PCOS or insulin resistance does not make one an alien:
    calories burned > calories in means weight loss
    It is impossible to not lose weight when at a deficit, regardless of whether you are eating 50% carbs or 20% carbs, PCOS or not.
    Weight loss results in controlling PCOS, exercise results in controlling PCOS. Whether a low carb diet will help with the insulin resistance itself is up for debate and probably research (lots of conflicting info out there, most drs do not demand a low carb diet for this).

Obviously, you have no clue as to the extent that hormones play in weight loss and weight gain.

Yes, most Dr's do demand a low carb approach to control the symptoms of PCOS along with metformin and / or other diabetes drugs if the woman has T2 Diabetes and not just Insulin Resistance.

Yes, it is impossible for a woman to lose weight eating a high amount of carbs, even at a steep caloric deficit. I have been there and done that.

Your not an Endocrinologist so stop trying to simplify what you have no clue about.