Ideas? Going to a buffet for lunch

Options
Today, I am going with work to a buffet for lunch. Any suggestions on what I should eat? Right now I plan on eating plain salad with some veggies and light dressing on the side. Anything else that you can think of that is low cal. that would be at a buffet? This buffet has pizza, potatos, italian, salad, etc. We are going to the Amazing Pizza Machine.... Any suggestions would be appreciated :smile:

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Baked potatoes aren't bad by themselves. It's the toppings that kill. To be safe, I'd stick to the salad bar, and maybe ONE slice of extra thin crust veggie pizza.
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Don't go.
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    do they have fresh fruit at the dessert section?
  • KristyF08
    KristyF08 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Don't go.

Unfortunately I have to. This is a mandatory lunch meeting :cry:
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Don't go.

LOL!!!!!! Buffets are killer! Fill up on salad FIRST. Then if you're still hungry go back and grab a lil somethin somethin. Have fun!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Actually, baked potates are plenty bad. SImple carbs that spike blood sugar as well as digestion and actually tend to make you more hungry. Red skin potatoes are the only potatoes that are complex carbs, not counting sweet potatoes which are also good. You'll be getting your carbs from the veggies anyways.

Try to find some source of protein. Beef, turkey or preferably chicken, the leaner the better. If you have a very lean source like chicken, then don't be afraid to have some good fats as well. I go to cheese or fish as a great source of fats. It's all about balance, and not trying to starve yourself just because you want to avoid over-eating.

edit; MAKE A PLAN. Don't pick up a single plate until you've figured out exactly what you're going to eat for the entire meal. Then all you have to do is stick to your plan.
  • KristyF08
    Options
    Actually, baked potates are plenty bad. SImple carbs that spike blood sugar as well as digestion and actually tend to make you more hungry. Red skin potatoes are the only potatoes that are complex carbs, not counting sweet potatoes which are also good. You'll be getting your carbs from the veggies anyways.

Try to find some source of protein. Beef, turkey or preferably chicken, the leaner the better. If you have a very lean source like chicken, then don't be afraid to have some good fats as well. I go to cheese or fish as a great source of fats. It's all about balance, and not trying to starve yourself just because you want to avoid over-eating.

edit; MAKE A PLAN. Don't pick up a single plate until you've figured out exactly what you're going to eat for the entire meal. Then all you have to do is stick to your plan.

I completely forgot about chicken... I just keep thinking about all the bad things I have to avoid! Ok, my plan is: Search ALL the foods first then start with salad & veggies, then go for chicken or fish (I absolutely LOVE fish)!!!

Thanks Everyone!
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    Control your portions & plan the rest of the week accordingly. Enjoy your lunch. :flowerforyou:
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Don't go.

Unfortunately I have to. This is a mandatory lunch meeting :cry:

Good Luck, Kristy. I know how hard it is to control the calories when you go out. I avoid it as much as I can. You can do it. Make a plan, stick with it and don't give in to any possible peer pressure.
  • KristyF08
    Options
    UPDATE: I am super proud of myself. I went and had about 5 cups of salad (just lettuce) with a few raw carrots and dressing on the side! I tried for Italian but their Itaian was straight oil (YUCK) so i had about 2 tbs. of their ranch and just lightly dipped my salad. If you know me it is amazing I am staying away from the ranch... i used to eat ranch on EVERYTHING (no exageration)! Needless to say I am pretty proud of myself and it didn't even bother me when I saw what everyone else was eating! :happy:
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Good for you. Obviously better will power than I.
  • junekucks
    Options
    A buffet can be tempting to overdo. Just a little dab of a lot of items adds up fast. Select salad and veggies first, then fruit.
    Make sure if there is something that you really , really like , have a bite or two to satisfy that want. Slow down speed eating and try to breathe deeply between bites. We have to live in the real world of temptations and super-sized portions. Still have trouble
    talking my eyes into accepting smaller portions as normal and correct size. Been conditioned to expect larger servings of everything for so many years. Enjoy the outing.